Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2019, 03:33 AM   #11
Aldric

Default Re: Lend Energy to self?

Just apply whatever condition is required to recharge your ER to Lend Energy of that's the problem.

Can't get my hands on the Special Recharge modifier atm, but I assume it's some kind of condition and your ER doesn't automatically regain points every 5 mins or so.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #12
Anaraxes

Or if the setting has ER, alter the spell ("Recharge ER", which does nothing for FP) or split it into two independent spells ("Recharge ER" and "Lend FP", each affecting one of the two FP-like stats). You could further tweak ratios or just eliminate the spells entirely if the metaphysics of magic don't allow ERs to be recharged from external sources. Same with Recover Energy. Once you have ER, there's no reason anything referring to "FP" in the basic rules has to refer to FP or to both. They're worded that way because the simple, basic, forms only have one stat to talk about.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Just apply whatever condition is required to recharge your ER to Lend Energy of that's the problem.
P119's description "Your ER doesn’t recharge over time" doesn't seem to prohibit Lend Energy since it's a lump sump rather than a rate-per-time like Regeneration (ER Recovery) or Regeneration (ER Only) which Kromm said won't work unless you take Accessibility limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Can't get my hands on the Special Recharge modifier atm, but I assume it's some kind of condition and your ER doesn't automatically regain points every 5 mins or so.
Yes, you don't get the usual 1/10min (or per 5 or 2 minutes with high Recover Energy skill) that Energy Reserve (Magic) normally enjoys.

Slow Recharge is a 2-tier lesser limitation which slows the basic 1/10m rate to 1/hr or 1/day. I haven't explicitly seen a ruling on how Recover Energy interacts with that, but given it respectively doubles or quintuples your regen rates, it should probably be 1/30m then 1/12m for the -20% version and 1/12h then 1/4.8h for the -60% version I would guess (a pretty long time to meditate, in the latter cases).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or if the setting has ER, alter the spell ("Recharge ER", which does nothing for FP) or split it into two independent spells ("Recharge ER" and "Lend FP", each affecting one of the two FP-like stats).
Making it a separate spell (splitting "Lend Energy" into "Lend Energy to Fatigue" and "Lend Energy to Reserve") does add an extra step of difficulty but ultimately still has the problem of being a waaaaay easier (less casting time, better ratio) way of refilling ER than "Steal Energy" so once someone buys it, it more easily allows skirting the Slow Recharge / Special Recharge drawbacks.

For tweaking the ratios, do you mean just defining LETF as having a 3-in/1-out ratio and a 3/1 per minute casting time just like Steal Energy? Basically a clone of the necro spell except that giver/receiver = subject/caster relationship is inverted?

Quote:
You could further tweak ratios or just eliminate the spells entirely if the metaphysics of magic don't allow ERs to be recharged from external sources.
I don't see anything on Powers 119 preventing ERs to be filled from external sources. If you somehow have Absorb / Leech / Steal Energy (Lend Energy being unaddressed) it would seem like you could always use them to refill it.

It does say earlier
Leech can have “Heals ER” or “Only Heals ER” for the price of “Heals FP” or “Only Heals FP.
So it does sound like a different modifier (like with Regeneration) meaning Leech (Heals FP) probably can't heal a reserve.

If you do have "Heals ER" on your leech, having some ER which can be filled with Leech and other ER which can't be healed with Leech.

"Abilities of that source can also help." means I think that it has to be Leech (Magic -10%) to heal ER (Magic) so non-magic Leech wouldn't fill magic ER while magic Leech wouldn't fill non-magic ER.

To have a magic ER that can't be filled with external (magic Leech, Steal Energy, magic DR with Absorbtion) isn't covered on P119 but it sounds like a good idea...

Thaumatology 23 has "Can't Use External Energy" as a magery limitation which seems like the closest match to float over. I'm not sure about a static amount though because CUEE would be a lot more crippling for "Special Recharge" ER than it would be for normal ER.

Quote:
Same with Recover Energy. Once you have ER, there's no reason anything referring to "FP" in the basic rules has to refer to FP or to both. They're worded that way because the simple, basic, forms only have one stat to talk about.
T23 also mentions another spell I didn't consider called "Draw Power" because it's not in the healing college. M180 lists it under Technological College.

It sounds like this has to be used to directly power a spell though, you couldn't dump it directly into FP/ER although if the "subject spell" you channel it into is Lend Energy it probably could be dumped into your own FP that way.

-1 to skill casting Lend Energy per FP you're missing (perhaps sum missing FP and missing ER) would bring it to heel ("heals FP" and "heals ER" for Regeneration makes it sound like missing FP is basically "injury" after all, and Fatigue Attack treats it like "damage") for personal use, requiring you to bounce energy through a proxy (Lend Energy to them, then they Lend Energy back to you) to avoid the casting penalty.

Failed spells cost 1 FP and crit fails cost ALL of it, so that (along with the crit fail table with chance to hurt yourself and other outcomes) would add an element of risk (plus casting time) to using these strategies to recover a Slow ER or Special ER.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lend energy