Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Jinumon

Default [Space] Triple Full Moons

Hey All,

I'm (finally) about to get my Fantasy game off the ground and one of my players is playing a werewolf. Trouble is, my Fantasy world has 3 moons (technically moonlets), and I've decided (as to not make the game too disruptive) to only force a transformation on a simultaneous triple full moon. This shouldn't happen too infrequently as each moon goes through a full cycle every 2 - 6 hours (depending on the moon), but every calculation I come up with seems way to frequent to be right. I've found online calculations for planets with 2 moons, but none with 3, and I don't know how it's further complicating things. Any and all Mathematics (Applied) (IQ/H) or Astronomy (IQ/H) assistance would be greatly appreciated. Here are the figures I'm currently working with:
  • 2 Suns, orbiting each other at 0.4AU every ~64 days with 0 Eccentricity, Fantasy planet orbits the pair.
  • The Fantasy Planet, called Lerrom. Earthlike, orbiting the Suns every ~510 24-hour days at 1.6 AU (from system center).
  • Moon A, orbiting Lerrom every ~0.08138 days at 1.25 Earth Radii (neg mass)
  • Moon B, orbiting Lerrom every ~0.19845 days at 2.25 Earth Radii (neg mass)
  • Moon C, orbiting Lerrom every ~0.23243 days at 2.5 Earth Radii (neg mass)

I understand that the Suns (or their combined center of mass) and all three moons must be approximately aligned to all show full, but for the life of me can't figure out how to calculate it. Ya'll are awesome. 'Preciate ya!
Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astronomy, mathematics, moon, moons, space