Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #21
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Some Focused Defense questions for playtesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
The trouble is that I have used a 48” sword in Close Combat while grappling a thousand or so times. The stance looks a lot like the Roman stance with sword and shield. I'd say its significantly more awkward than a knife at that range, so a -4 penalty to skill seems reasonable, but I wanted to confirm.
I have absolutely zero RL fencing experience, so I defer to your judgment regarding the realism of it.

Quote:
Any idea why they didn't write that? Gamers being gamers, even if you only use this rule for gladiator games some retarius is going to try to use his dagger and trident at the same time then have to Cross Parry a shield strike. I have no idea whether there are cross parries which work with a refused side ... that's what SJ Games gets volunteer researchers for!
No idea, sorry. Never thought of it before this thread, personally. It seems completely counter-intuitive to me to let somebody reach forward with an arm intentionally held behind themself to bring it square to meet an attack with one held intentionally forward, without changing the fact that it is being held back enough to make it harder to hit...

Quote:
But the whole point of refusing the sword hand is the bonus it gives to defend with the shield hand (and lets you keep the vulnerable sword arm somewhere safe). My impression of ancient combat is that the shield was used to defend and create openings and the spear or sword was used to strike.
IDHTBWM, but ISTR that some of the fluff text features a novice scutiarius remembering his trainer telling him that his shield is a weapon, that the audience loves big flashy shield hits, etc. If the other guy doesn't have a shield at all, a quick Shield Rush can end it before it even starts.

Quote:
Not to mention that parrying too many shield strikes with a shortsword will get you a broken sword ...
Sounds like a great reason to whack the other guy with your shield to me.

Quote:
Would that be a stance like Salvator Fabris recommended with the torso and head leaning far forward?
Yep. The idea was: Groin, Legs, and Feet denied, Skull, Face, and Neck presented, plus an additional +1 (for a total +4) if you Sprawl. I believe it was Bruno who pointed out that the only creature likely to use this in a real fight would be one far less concerned about a blow to the head than to the 11s.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #22
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Yep. The idea was: Groin, Legs, and Feet denied, Skull, Face, and Neck presented, plus an additional +1 (for a total +4) if you Sprawl. I believe it was Bruno who pointed out that the only creature likely to use this in a real fight would be one far less concerned about a blow to the head than to the 11s.
I actually play such a creature! With LOTS of natural DR on the skull and good natural DR on the face and neck, and good Reach weapons built into his skull (and not a lot of respect for his own brains) it actually isn't crazy.

For people it seems lunacy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I actually play such a creature! With LOTS of natural DR on the skull and good natural DR on the face and neck, and good Reach weapons built into his skull (and not a lot of respect for his own brains) it actually isn't crazy.

For people it seems lunacy.
Yeah, this is almost exactly the exchange from two years ago IIRC. :]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Yeah, this is almost exactly the exchange from two years ago IIRC. :]
What can I say? I'm consistent.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags