Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Spelljammer Banestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvidian View Post
Wonderful ideas and inspiration here, especially on the Luna Elves. Re mechanics, I like the suggestion that the helm also provides basic atmosphere. And no doubt at some point someone will knock out the helm and send the PCs gasping.
My comment about air envelopes was in respect to holding on to the air. Refreshing the air is childishly easy with a standard and fairly cheap Purify Air item. You won't get your PCs this way more than once. Same for water.

If the whole air envelope goes away that's different (and deadly in only a couple of minutes).

What I did about helm game mechanics was to say that the helm was built around a device that raised mana in a one hex area to Very High. The mage was necessary to complete a magical circuit. He drew his entire FP pool every turn from the VH mana and then the helm drained him back down to the edge of zero.

If the mage needs to leave the helm in a hurry you could allow a Quick Contest of Wills with the mage retaining 1 FP per pt of success.

I think I calculated tactical move with a formula of hexes of movement = Magery + (FP/10).
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #32
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post

You can have less fantastic physics if you assume that the gravity and the air envelope are produced by the spelljamming drive, but you then have the problem that if the drive goes off-line (and it works by having a magician sit on it and draining his spell energy) the air all leaves and everyone dies. You can get round that by having proper spelljamming ships enchanted to do it, separately from the drive, although that means you can't take a sea-style ship, mount a drive on it, and set off into space. That's a trope within the setting, and provides a way to get into space.
You could do a hybrid of these: An active Spelljamming drive both maintains gravity and replenishes the atmosphoere, but requires a great deal of mana that can only come from an individual with Magery (Or Power investiture, if used). Purpose built spelljammers have a separate enchantment, probably related to that which creates a helm, which maintains gravity and atmosphere in the absence of a helm, and replenishs that air more slowly and provides no motive force. This enchantment can be maintained by a Power spell, so it doesn't need anyone to keep it running. For extra fun, you could declare that the non helm gravity is weaker or less reliable than the helm provides, so there's a distinct difference between being on a ship under thrust vs. one that's drifting without power. This is not true in the default Spelljammer verse, but it could be in yours.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #33
Refplace

GURPS Spaceships actually has spelljamming systems.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #34
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
GURPS Spaceships actually has spelljamming systems.
Better to say that it has magical proplusion systems.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #35
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Why would that be better? It was pretty obvious what they were going for.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #36
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Why would that be better? It was pretty obvious what they were going for.
I wouldn't say that. In spelljammer, strapping a helm to the Eiffel Tower or a random asteroid will get you exactly as much speed as the most expertly crafted spelljamming vessel. The only thing sails does is improve you maneuverability, it seems. The Spaceships systems actually change your performance, which is my I intend to (somehow) integrate helms and the various ethereal drives to all those sails-leafs and slave galleys make some sort of design sense.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #37
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In the context I figured it wouldnt be a copyright issue and wanted to keep it simple.
But its a system I think even the designer notes said was inspired by Spelljammer for propulsion and it has systems to hold the air in and other things. As well as some additional systems and I think the Soulburner engines would be great for the Illitids as Villains.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #38
Astromancer

Instead of having all asteriods be airless or bases, some should fill the role of deserted islands. Places were pirates hide treasure, odd kingdoms and tribes live in enchanted seclusion, or elderly dukes of Milan and their lovely daughters suffer exile. Think of the role of Islands in adventure and fantasy stories. Asteriods make lovely islands in the streams of space!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #39
Delvidian

GURPS Spaceships. Of course!

In the meantime, this image comes to mind: Luna elf wearing a white silk cape that turns into large mothlike wings of flying.
Delvidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
Tyneras

I must warn you about trying to use GURPS Spaceships with Spelljammer. The usual complaint is that GURPS Spaceships is a game of eggshells with hammers, I've discovered that the SJ ships are so small, and have such low TL weapons, it becomes a game of tanks fighting with pillows. dDR 2 armor vs 1d-5 dDamage weapons? Yeah, I figured I was better off modeling combat as personal scale combat on 2 (or more) moving platforms.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm