Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #11
Pseudonym

Default Re: Looking for character sheets: Displacer Beast & Malboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post

GURPS Malboro isn't so easy. As a plant, it probably has No Brain, and probably has No Eyes besides (it technically does have eyes, but you'd have to poke so many out to actually inconvenience it you might as well say No Eyes). It may have Extra Arms, with all its arms having Flexible (being tentacles and all), but it typically only attacks with its mouth, which may have extra Striking ST and certainly has Born Biter. It arguably has Born Biter 5, as it's basically just a giant face. Bad Breath is a large series of Linked Afflictions with Area Effect, Blood Agent, and Selective. While in Final Fantasy it tends to bite and retreat, in GURPS it would probably bite the target, turn this into a grapple, and worry away until the target was in two pieces.
I'd say this is a good start, but to this, I'd also add
  • immunity to metabolic hazards
  • High stealth
  • High speed
  • Constriction attacks with cyclic toxic damage (malboro tentacles are a recurring fixture in the Final Fantasy series.) Or a kinder GM just might give them very long flexible strikers/arms.
  • 360 degree vision, with the eyestalks limitation.

In the games where they are apex level encounters they tend to start the battle with a sneak attack, which tends to be the overwhelming status affliction move.
They tend to have a lot of HP, but not a lot of dodging... GURPS would probably convert this to ablative DR, or calculate HP as if it were homogeneous.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A quick Google search for GURPS Displacer Beast gives several results, here's a pretty decent one. Note that version, because it uses Defensive Obscure, has the added benefit of allowing close allies to benefit from the displacement as well. GURPS Malboro isn't so easy (...)
Well, I actually checked this guide. The displacer beast is magnificent indeed. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I'd say this is a good start, but to this, I'd also (...)
The Marlboro, I am starting to build it. But its profile says it weights about 70 tons and it is about 30 ft height... So it is SM 4, how am I supposed to deal with this (character creation wise)?

As a quick reference, these measures are 1/3 the weight & height of an average great whale.

On the other hand, the average weight for a human is 137 lbs. if the average human (GURPS wise) has 10 ST, then I could estimate ST using its heavy encumbrance level which is 120 lbs. (more or less is carrying another person of your weight).

- A human @ 137 lbs has 10 ST, and might carry 120 lbs. heavily encumbered, thus...
- A Marlboro @ 137,000 lbs. should have 315 ST, to carry 120,000 lbs.

Ideas?

Last edited by Hide; 10-06-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It's a plant, therefore homogeneous; just use the Homogeneous and Unliving HP table.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-06-2017 at 03:33 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's a plant, therefore homogeneous; just use the HP and DR table.
Do you mean this for the whole character, or only HP and DR calculations?
In what page was this table?
Old 10-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Do you mean this for the whole character, or only HP and DR calculations?
ST is usually going to equal HP. Plants usually have IQ and DX 0, Doesn't Eat (Photosynthesis), Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous), No Legs (Sessile), and No Manipulators. Obviously fantasy man-eating plants are going to have some differences depending on body plan and how animated they are.
Quote:
In what page was this table?
A GURPS index I am not, but it is one of tables in the Appendix in Campaigns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
ST is usually going to equal HP. Plants usually have IQ and DX 0, Doesn't Eat (Photosynthesis), Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous), No Legs (Sessile), and No Manipulators. Obviously fantasy man-eating plants are going to have some differences depending on body plan and how animated they are.
A GURPS index I am not, but it is one of tables in the Appendix in Campaigns.
Oh this sounds great, will check it, thank you.