Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Yako

Default Beyond M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.

As another thread made me think of the infinite (sic!) potential for abuse that beneficial affictions can bring, I wanted to present something, that may even make the infamous 50 Point universe depopulation power look harmless.

Please everyone, say hi to Ascension:

Affliction 1 (Cummulative, +400%, Cancellation, +10%, Extended Duration x3000, +140%; Malediction 1, +100%; Reliable 10, +50%; Advantage: Modular Ability 1 (Cosmic Power, Physical and Mental, +100%), +200%) [100]

It is twice as expensive, but, rejoice for now you can claim divinity with your own hands and as a nice bonus, you can share it with your friends.

With a duration of likely more than a week, you can take your time to afflict yourself with as many characterpoints as you want, take any ability, physical, mental, it is yours!
Invest just an hour every weak to gain 360 character points, or go a full day (just buy away your need to sleep at some point) to go for the full 8.640 points of divinity.
...and if any of your former friends and now rival deity gets troublesome, why, you can just cancel away his or her divine power!

Now, aside from the fact it is of course broken, even if legal, a strict game master could interpret that you have to specify the ability the one character point is used for (afflictions with advantage usually give you one instance of use not free reign, like teleport as an affliction sending you away once, but not giving you the ability to warp at your leisure) when you use the affliction.
...and as a consequence that you cannot buy expensive traits point after point, but instead have to use it for something that usually comes in discrete 1 point packages.

...but even then, you need not worry too much.
2 points in every skill? Every average technique at max level? All the perks in existence? Hardly any need for food or water? Comfortable at any temperature or gravity? All the languages you can name as well as every cultural familiarity? Powerful Innate attacks coming in 1 point levels with some minor limitations? Infinite amounts of ablative DR?

As a general advice: Never, ever allow cummulative afflictions that grant an advantage...
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
PK

Default Re: Beyond M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.

This doesn't actually have to be a big deal, as the GM is well within rights to expect such "afflictions" to be paid for. So really, this just gives you a meta-game excuse to allow anyone in the group to buy any trait they want with earned character points. (That said, I'd be surprised if the GM deemed this ability fitting for 99% of the campaigns out there.)

(Also, note that M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. is not a valid build, as the combination of "shotgun Rapid Fire" and "Cosmic, Irresistible attack" has been expressly declared invalid.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #3
scc

Wait, all it grants you is a single 1 point in Modular Abilities? That's easy to counter, they simply don't stack
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Yako

@scc: It does actually stack, that is the whole point of the cumulative enhancement, which allows afflictions to stack if they provide attribute penalties or leveled advantages / disadvantages.

Modular Abilities is quite officially leveled as well.

@PK: Of course it can be resolved like that (with a temporary disadvantage of maintenance to reflect the need to be regularly re afflicted), but it can theoretically claim to be legal without that cost for the recipient, since the guideline for having to buy traits you are afflicted with is initially stated for those that are permanent (which Ascension is deliberately not).

The point of the exercise, like with MUNCHKIN showing how 1 point of damage attacks with huge enhancements can be abusive (A one point toxic attack with a huge rate of fire (with very rapid fire to boost), accuracy boni, cosmic ignores DR and selective area to negate friendly fire can be quite broken and still technically legal) is of course to stress that cumulative is not really advisable for beneficial afflictions.
Even the ones lasting only some minutes can be awfully easy to abuse.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
(Also, note that M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. is not a valid build, as the combination of "shotgun Rapid Fire" and "Cosmic, Irresistible attack" has been expressly declared invalid.)
I could have sworn the expressly invalid part was the rapid fire on a melee attack part.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
I could have sworn the expressly invalid part was the rapid fire on a melee attack part.

I think you mean area effect.
And, er, yes, I thought that was it too... ^^ ;
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. doesn't have the Melee Attack limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
I think you mean area effect. …
A rapid fire area attack is RAW, such as rapid-firing tangler or swarm ammo (pp. UT155-156) with a UGL or mortar box.

@PK: The combination of Rapid Fire and Irresistible Attack seems fine to me? It's barely worse than a high Armor Divisor.

What isn't fine is Rapid Fire plus Emanation, since Emanation "… is incompatible with … ranged attack modifiers" (p. B112).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
gilbertocarlos

M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. Also has a VERY HUGE PROBLEM that no one pointed out, the problem is, it has the AREA enhancement, not the VOLUME enhancement, so, if you use it, all you're affecting is a cross-section of the universe, not the entire universe.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. Also has a VERY HUGE PROBLEM that no one pointed out, the problem is, it has the AREA enhancement, not the VOLUME enhancement, so, if you use it, all you're affecting is a cross-section of the universe, not the entire universe.
Eh, just means you have to spin around to kill everything.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #10
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Please remind me/inform me of the Volume enhancement?

Tags
affliction, cummulative, munchkin, power-gaming