Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
Lamech

Default Re: Healing vs. Cure Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
And _both_ are cured by vanilla healing which can cure any damage short of actual amputation or death.
No. Where are you getting that? Healing normally fixes HP damage, diseases, and crippled limbs. That is it. But if "actual amputation" is the hang up replace "blindness" in all four examples with "lame: legless".
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial Tentacles View Post
Regrowth with Affects Other would be my preference.
And staying a month with constant skin contact with the individual?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #33
Bruno

A build based on affliction, using Regeneration (Limited: Regrowth, Powers p70) + Regrowth might look like this (sans power modifier, requirement for ritual trappings, etc)

Restoration, 98 points
You pray over your subject for 10 minutes. At the end of the prayer, spend FP and touch the subjects skin, and make a Will roll. Success indicates all the subjects injuries and crippled or severed extremities immediately begin healing miraculously fast.
The subject recovers 1 HP per minute, and all crippling injuries are healed once the subject returns to maximum HP.
The effect lasts 10 minutes times your Margin of Success.

Build: Affliction, +980%
  • Advantage: Regrowth [+400%]
  • Advantage: Fast Regeneration [+500%]
  • Contact Agent [-30%]
  • Costs Fatigue 10 [-50%]
  • Extended Duration 10 [+40%]
  • Immediate Preparation Required, 10 minutes [-45%]
  • Malediction 1 [+100%]
  • Melee Attack Reach C, Cannot Parry [-35%]

Reducing the cost of Regrowth in your campaign significantly reduces the cost of this advantage.

The Multiplicative Modifiers option makes this cost 23 points (!!) even if you dump the FP cost and reduce the preparation to 1 minute.

Knocking Regeneration down to Slow [+250%] and increasing the Extended Duration to x300 [+100%] takes the price down to 79 points (not low enough for the reduction in utility), the character recovers 1 HP per hour instead of minute, and the power lasts 5 hrs per MOS.

Theres a number of reasons why I don't like this kind of build.

1) Limiting the Regeneration to only accelerate Regrowth makes it cost more to heal the subject of a severed arm slower, for less total utility (no HP recovery at all). For the schedule of acceleration in Powers, Regeneration (Limited: Regrowth) is a terrible expenditure. More on this complaint later.

2) You're also paying more than needed (or intended) because this heals all crippling injuries at once, in parallel.
There's no way to put together something per crippled extremity, as there is with Magic, so you have to go for the "Bing you're all fixed!" route. Which means suddenly the mechanics change from "I can't keep patching you up all day" (with Healing) to "Actually, I can keep putting your arms back on until I get blue in the face. Have fun!"

3) Large amounts of Costs FP make me feel dirty.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #34
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Resurrection Lite (Powers Divine Favor p 13) is 58 points (12 points as an alternate ability of your Healing) and lets you bring one person back from the dead with no FP cost - they loose 25 points in misc disadvantages as if they retroactively bought Extra Life.
I'm wondering how such a bogus build got past Kromm, who seemed to be against this sort of thing when it was discussed last year.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #35
Facial Tentacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
And staying a month with constant skin contact with the individual?
If you want regrowing limbs to be a trivial thing, don't play with hit location rules.
Facial Tentacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #36
Bruno

Why Regeneration (Limited: Regrowth) Stinks

Natural Regeneration accelerates Regrowth to "all lost body parts regrow in the time it takes you to heal full HP". The worst possible case scenario is being reduced to 1 HP short of -5*HP, or automatic death.

For characters with a multiple of 10 HP, this means the worst possible case scenario for healing the worst possible amputation is:

Slow: 29.5 days
Regular: 23.6 hrs
Fast: 59 minutes
Very Fast: 59 seconds
Extreme: 6 seconds

For the absolute WORST case scenario (a character with one shy of a magic multiple base HP, 1 HP short of -5*HP) you double the above numbers.

For Regeneration (Limited: Regrowth), this looks like the following (for the worst case scenario - severed limbs):
Slow: 40-140 days (averages 3x longer)
Regular: 120-420 hours (averages 11x longer)
Fast: 120-420 min (averages 4.5x longer)
Very Fast: 120-420 sec (averages 4.5x longer)
Extreme: 12-42 sec (averages 4.5x longer)

-40% might be a reasonable cost for removing the HP recovery (I'm not convinced on that but it's a close enough value), but I definitely think it's grossly over-charging for reattaching limbs in the actual times that come out. Regular regen especially gets the ***. :/

Never mind the previously discussed costs of Regrowth. :P
Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #37
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I allow characters with the Healing advantage and the Affliction (Regrowth) to regrow limbs by healing the damage caused by the loss of the limb. It fits more with most of the literature of those who can do it and keeps it an active ability instead of a passive one. Granted, this requires you to not purchase the Affliction as an AA, so the cost is a bit higher.

I also have plenty of healers who use the Afflict (Regen and Regrowth) so that they can concentrate on other matters, or because it makes more sense for them.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #38
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I'm wondering how such a bogus build got past Kromm, who seemed to be against this sort of thing when it was discussed last year.
That doesn't appear to be the correct thread? It's about resurrecting people, but doesn't mention Afflictions at all.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #39
Facial Tentacles

In retrospect, my original question was poor because there is no context. I'm primarily concerned about the comparison of the two systems when it comes to magical realism. In day-to-day life, a healer will be most tasked with combating illness (people and livestock). I wanted to know the effectiveness of the two with such a task. I think that's been addressed, so thanks.
Facial Tentacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #40
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
No. Where are you getting that? Healing normally fixes HP damage, diseases, and crippled limbs. That is it. But if "actual amputation" is the hang up replace "blindness" in all four examples with "lame: legless".
I might be assuming too much when I think that something that heals crippled limbs can heal crippled eyes. But I'd run it that way anyway provided the eyes are still there.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cure disease, healing, powers, spells