Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2020, 12:33 AM   #1
MrFix

Default Legality Class 6?!?!?!?!

Just discovered something odd in the preview for the pyramid 3-37

Page 33 in this preview: Warehouse 23 P3-37

The Ultra-Futon has LC6, what exactly does that mean? In what book do legality classes go up to 6, especially for mundane items like beds?
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Legality Class 6?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
Just discovered something odd in the preview for the pyramid 3-37

Page 33 in this preview: Warehouse 23 P3-37

The Ultra-Futon has LC6, what exactly does that mean? In what book do legality classes go up to 6, especially for mundane items like beds?
Huh. Could it be an artifact from 3e?

Personally, my guess is that it's a typo, since the highest Legality Class in the 4e Basic Set is LC4, which is Open. Stuff that isn't legally restricted at all. EDIT: Mind you, Control Ratings go up to 6, and LC and CR interact in ways that would look weird if taken literally in high-CR societies (e.g a mattress being LC4 in a CR5 society would mean that you need a license to own one, and being LC4 in a CR6 society would mean that only government employees or those who heavily bribed somebody important could have one).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 08-15-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:17 AM   #3
Anthony

It's probably an artifact of 3rd edition, but it's clear that some things have LC above 4, it's just that 4e doesn't bother to list it.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
it's clear that some things have LC above 4, it's just that 4e doesn't bother to list it.
Not exactly. "An item has a LC only if it is likely to be controlled." The least-controlled LC is 4; anything higher than that would be uncontrolled and therefore does not interact with the society's Control Rating.

LC is society-specific. If an item does not have a listed CR, but the society places some kind of restriction on it, give it an appropriate CR.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post

Personally, my guess is that it's a typo, since the highest Legality Class in the 4e Basic Set is LC4, which is Open. Stuff that isn't legally restricted at all. EDIT: Mind you, Control Ratings go up to 6, and LC and CR interact in ways that would look weird if taken literally in high-CR societies (e.g a mattress being LC4 in a CR5 society would mean that you need a license to own one, and being LC4 in a CR6 society would mean that only government employees or those who heavily bribed somebody important could have one).
I take that to mean in a CR5 society basically everything requires government knowledge and approval to own, while in a CR6 society normal citizens cannot own anything, and must instead be issued such by the government. An LC5 or LC6 would represent things even those governments wouldn't care about, I suppose (presuming the entry isn't a typo, but I don't have that issue to check and see if this is discussed at all).
Old 08-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:

Personally, my guess is that it's a typo, since the highest Legality Class in the 4e Basic Set is LC4, which is Open.
It isn't a typo. The article in question lists lots of ultra-tech household goods, and gives them all LC6, noting that a multi-tool which includes a monowire blade might be LC3 in some jurisdictions.

3e gave weapons "Legality Classes" from 0 to 6 (Basic Set Revised p. 249), but the range of weapons described corresponds to 4e LC1 to LC4. It looks as if the article was written in terms of 3e Legality Classes, and this wasn't picked up in editing.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
MrFix

Ah, so it seems like an 3e hold-over thing, thanks for the help out. If somebody finds any 4e rules that allow for LC5 or LC6 though, please post about it.
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
Ah, so it seems like an 3e hold-over thing, thanks for the help out. If somebody finds any 4e rules that allow for LC5 or LC6 though, please post about it.
The only occurrences of "LC5" or "LC6" in my 4e PDFs are this article, and another one in Pyramid #3/12 Tech and Toys, p. 6 and p. 9. My collection is not complete, but is fairly close.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
RyanW

Quote:

At such a high CR, it's possible that many things that would normally be mundane possessions are instead functionally property of the state, and usage is regulated (if nothing else, simply "We've had to replace your washing machine twice. We're sending around an investigator to see if you are being irresponsible.")