Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
Really Impressive Title

Default Class/Race & Synergy: How Many Items/Monsters?

When expansions and core sets start to collide (as Munchkin players are want to do), corresponding cards start to get lost in the mix. This seems especially evident when discussing cards like race and class.

For instance if I were to merge "Munchkin Pathfinder" with a fully-expanded Munchkin Original deck, suddenly my chances of finding a beneficial item or a Monster that's weak against, say, a Summoner is drastically lower. Statistically improbable, even. -- Turned the other way, I would hope that any party member lucky enough to draw a Necromancer would have a fair shot at drawing a Monster that's strong against their Class. Otherwise the inherent benefits of these cards virtually go unchallenged.

Needless to say this gets complicated pretty quickly. Which is a bummer because I would love nothing more than equal representation in my ginormous Monster Box of a Fantasy deck. I love the randomness of Munchkin but I prefer that that randomness have some amount of balance.

So, to the SJG community and to SJG HQ, what do you think is the golden ratio? How many Items, Weapons and One-Shots (restricted/beneficial) and how many Monsters (weak against/strong against) should be put into a given deck that correspond with any given race/class/etc?

With a little insight, enormous decks could become truly homogenous. Only then will I finally know peace. ♥️

Last edited by Really Impressive Title; 08-06-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Really Impressive Title is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
emigio

Default Re: Class/Race & Synergy: How Many Items/Monsters?

keep the decks separated, so every palyer can chose his patway. If not, there is an old thread about %
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I don't have a lot of advice to offer here, because I prefer to play one core deck plus any expansions that I'm in the mood to try (or to playtest). I've played in mashup games (multiple core sets, possibly expansions as well) and just like you said, it felt a little muted, like we weren't getting all the interplay we wanted.

What I will say is that if you're combining sets, try to mix things that don't overlap too much in their traits. Bites! + Super is a good mix for this, because Bites! has Races and Super has Classes, so you can get one of each without much trouble, and BOTH sets have Powers so those can feed off each other. Plus, hey, undead superheroes!

But, really, I'd rather just play one set at a time.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Louchavelli

We have combined Star and Starfinder sets. Those seem to compliment each other well and the doors/treasure cards have the same back. You get large decks but we found the game overall well balanced.
Louchavelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, class, combine, deck building, race