Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Spiritual Creatures [Fantasy/Horror/Powers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
So, I don't get the example from the book (powers). If I buy vibration sense, world spanning +50%... it means I can use vibration sense, but it only works to feel stuff in other dimensions, except mine... right? Then it means it loses its original purpose unless I pay +100%???

What if I want to sense my dimension and a single "other dimension"?
Yep, you read it right. I think it works best for Clairsentience but it can be applied to other things and I dont see a problem with Vibration Sense.
So the +50% version means that you can use your normal senses in your own plane but you have a special sense that can spot things in another plane. Good way to have a sorcerer or druid type that can sense when spirits get close but a perhaps a tingly feeling rather than seeing them.
But the +100% version lets you use it to sense both. But you might run into the -4 Per penalty if obstacles are different as you have to focus on one at a time to avoid walking into things.
I'd say you need Compartmentalized Mind to observe multiple worlds at the same time without being confused.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Vibration Sense is a really cheap way to see across planar barriers (the +100% enhancement just allows you to use it on either plane to 'peak' across). It is good enough to detect objects in the way, annoying mortals who might detect a manifestation, annoyed immortals waiting for payback, etc. In the case of spirits wanting to do a little hanky panky, it is probably enough to allow them to find their paramours and be reasonably sure that they are alone.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #13
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In the case of spirits wanting to do a little hanky panky, it is probably enough to allow them to find their paramours and be reasonably sure that they are alone.
Well, it will tell them there’s a person in the corresponding location in the other plane, but it doesn’t really give enough details to identify them. Can lead to problems, naturally, particularly if the person turns out to be the paramour’s spouse. Of course, there could be items that are particularly easy to detect and identify with the sense (either for mundane or magical reasons), so carrying one or more of those could make one more easily identified by a world-jumper.