Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Buzzardo

Default Re: [DF] City Adventures

According to many literary scholars (and I concur), there are only seven basic plots anyway (Google around and you'll come up with some interesting variations). Rather than worry about coming up with a new one, embrace an existing one and do your very best to do a great job with your particular spin on it.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
SimonAce

I highly recommend a "band of thieves" sandbox campaign. The players basically do all the plotting work for you and thank you for it too.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
I highly recommend a "band of thieves" sandbox campaign. The players basically do all the plotting work for you and thank you for it too.
Plus it lets you really develop a single location. Lots of depth.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Plus the daughter of the leader of one side and the son of the leader of the other side have fallen hard for each other, and....

DF: Shakespearean Adventures!
Hey, why not? You already saw it: it's easy to drop role playing elements into action adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I wonder what kind of adventures the delvers can have in the city - and I'm specifically excluding "cleaning out the sewers" and "there's a monster in my basement", because they are just dungeons by another name.
A city, enough detailed in your head or notes, can be comparable to a Dungeon. And then you add a fair amount of social aspects for interacting. There are even "social dungeons", networks of relationships that players can't reach until they "unlock" certain paths (as the acceptance of friendship of a NPC, or this other NPC, which is comparable to choosing between different unknown roads or dungeon doors) for advancing towards a closer emotional contact and relationship with the Voivode which is being magically manipulated for despair of the citizens, and then revealing the manipulator which is acting in the order of his personal life. Then the players fight her or her influence with the Voivode being neutral to them or favorable, instead hostile and with all city's soldiers against the party (that would be the result of a wrong or forced path in the social dungeon), instead only the corrupted bunch of soldiers loyal to the evil wizard or Glamour Girl (GURPS Urban Magics, p. 13). So, the manipulator would be in the "last circle" of the "social network" or labyrinth, as a Boss to fight, with possible minions if the manipulated NPC is still under her influence.

Of course the future GURPS Social Engineering would be very useful here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I recommend GURPS Mysteries for this sort of adventure, it's a great resource.
I agree.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Plus the daughter of the leader of one side and the son of the leader of the other side have fallen hard for each other, and....

DF: Shakespearean Adventures!
I was actually going for Kurosawa.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
RobKamm

We did an adventure in a city where the PCs were put under close watch by the local justiciars (in our case it was building from character backstory-but you don't need to do that if you don't want to). Then there was an assasination, the inevitable capture of the PCs, escape, and hunt for the real killer with the local constabulary conducting a house-by-house search. We used the chase rules from Action 2, a lot.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I was actually going for Kurosawa.
And Kurosawa was frequently going for Shakespeare. Ah, the circle of life.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #18
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Well Vampire the Masquerade would work perfectly for DF in the cities. There could be many factions of evil forces controlling various parts of the city in secrecy. Not just vampires would do it, drow, mind warpers and so forth might make alliances with the nobles of the city so that each can further their aims.
That's a cool idea! Although I wouldn't use it for DF but would run a regular fantasy game.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
ajardoor

Im thinking a really big city-state that would yield huge amounts of tribute and cultural prestige if conquered (like the historical Venice, for example). Some invading army plans to soften it up with hired mercenaries and spies trying to covertly stir up revolts, assassinate key figures and sabotage security measures.

Delvers have to chase them through the streets, find their hideouts, expose their secret identities, foil assassinations and so on.

Give the bands distinct personalities and group dynamics, with plenty of opportunities for roleplaying.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
arnej

Quote:
.... this Red Harvest? Bit warhammer for my taste.
Maybe he was going for something more pulpy, like this Dashiell Hammett novel.

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, social engineering