Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
emigio
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Pizza & Spaghetti
Default questions/elucidations about hirelings (fantasy munchkin 1-9 + conan)

i have 33 hirelings (from munchkin fantasy 1-9 + conan, counting big joe and budjet steed as hirelings)
edit: they are 34, i forgot rexy

From what i understand, the first 2 hirelings (from the core game and the third expansion ) are treasures and they are like cheat! cards with a bonus attack.

All other hirelings, that have a Race/class in their title (expansions 4,5,8,conan), can equip an object that can be used by their Race/class... my main question is: can these hirelings use items over the player limit? example:i have already a big item, can they equip another big item? example 2: i have already busy hands, can they equip another hand item? or have they to respect the player limits? (don't consider gnome and thief hireling for this reply)

can gnome and thief hireling equip an item and also give you an extra big/free hand for another item? (the main difference between the 2 items is that the first is discarded if your hireling is killed while the second no)

stupid question:hireling from expansion 9 or all other hirelings that don't mention the "can carry and use.." like big joe,...can't equip an extra item, right?

last question:i don't understand the card called "dino seguace" in italian (expansion 9). Do you always get an additional +3 for every moster you fight? so a +6 with a single monster(3 of his ),+9 with 2 monster, +12 with 3... or simply 3 with 1, 6 with 2...

last elucidation: from what i read from the rules and other threads in this forum: you can equip/discard hirelings at any time, you can sell/trade only budget steed (expansion 1-9,conan); cheat! can be used for equipping an extra hireling(no exception) also if they are not items

Last edited by emigio; 12-10-2019 at 08:12 AM.
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: questions/elucidations about hirelings (fantasy munchkin 1-9 + conan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
All other hirelings, that have a Race/class in their title (expansions 4,5,8,conan), can equip an object that can be used by their Race/class...
Not all of them can. Hirelings only have the abilities that are printed on their cards or abilities shared by all Hirelings in the rules for those sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
my main question is: can these hirelings use items over the player limit?
Depends on what the Hireling says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
last question:i don't understand the card called "dino seguace" in italian (expansion 9). Do you always get an additional +3 for every moster you fight? so a +6 with a single monster(3 of his ),+9 with 2 monster, +12 with 3... or simply 3 with 1, 6 with 2...
This is the Dino Hireling in the English version. It gets +3 for each added monster, so that's +3 for two monsters, +6 for three, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
last elucidation: from what i read from the rules and other threads in this forum: you can equip/discard hirelings at any time, you can sell/trade only budget steed (expansion 1-9,conan); cheat! can be used for equipping an extra hireling(no exception) also if they are not items
That looks right. Hirelings aren't Items (unless they have a GP value) and can't be sold or traded. You also can't "unequip" a Hireling; if you don't want it, you must discard it.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
emigio
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Pizza & Spaghetti
Default Re: questions/elucidations about hirelings (fantasy munchkin 1-9 + conan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Not all of them can. Hirelings only have the abilities that are printed on their cards or abilities shared by all Hirelings in the rules for those sets.
so for example: a warrior hireling can't equip an hand item (that a warrion can use) if you have already both hands busy.

thank you for your time
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: questions/elucidations about hirelings (fantasy munchkin 1-9 + conan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
so for example: a warrior hireling can't equip an hand item (that a warrion can use) if you have already both hands busy.
The card says the Warrior Hireling is the one carrying and equipping the Item. Therefore it's an extra one beyond the ones you are allowed to use.

Not every Hireling has the ability to carry an extra Item for you. You have to read each card.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
emigio
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Pizza & Spaghetti
Default Re: questions/elucidations about hirelings (fantasy munchkin 1-9 + conan)

in the italian version all the hirelings that have a class or race in the title (thief/warrior/wizard/bardo/chieric/ranger/halfling/dwarf/elf/gnome/ork/lizard/centaur/) have (at least) the sentence "can carry and use..." (expansions 1-9)


anyway, so (for the hirelings that is allowed to equip an item on themselves) can they also equip a Big item on themselves?

extreme example: i am playing with a big item (i don't have card that let me add other big items), i then equip a gnome hireling. so now my limit is 2 big items equipped/carried + 1 (potential) big item equipped by the gnome. (so 3 counting the hireling)

sorry if i ask you these boring questions but after the first 2 hirelings realised (with core set and third expansion) the "even if you could not otherwise" is not printed anymore on the card
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: questions/elucidations about hirelings (fantasy munchkin 1-9 + conan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
anyway, so (for the hirelings that is allowed to equip an item on themselves) can they also equip a Big item on themselves?
Yes, as long as it is otherwise an Item they can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
extreme example: i am playing with a big item (i don't have card that let me add other big items), i then equip a gnome hireling. so now my limit is 2 big items equipped/carried + 1 (potential) big item equipped by the gnome
Yes.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.