Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: New Xp System: Not a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Another option I've really been enjoying (as a GM with NPC's at least) is repurposing the Supers rules from the Companion volume. These rules, and obvious extrapolations of them, let you create characters with a few powerful distinctive abilities. They are more fun and interesting than normal PC's who just happen to have a ton of stat points.
Agreed. More advancement options to spend XP on is a great idea. That's exactly why I created a third option for 'Powers' in my own game.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #22
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
How, exactly? I mean, having a 20 in all your attributes doesn't make you invulnerable. A group of strong orcs with two handed weapons hit you just as easily as they hit a character with 10s in all of theirs. Other than being good at most things (and even in the old days, you were capped by IQ at how much you could be good at), how exactly did the system break down? I see that you would hit all the time in combat, and do a lot of damage with a hit. But that's true for most FRPGs at high level.
You're really missing my point (or maybe I just did a lousy job of making it). The point isn't even so much the "mechanical" issues (though with a 20 stat, how often do you fail a 3-dice test?) so much as it is the boredom issue. "Ho hum, another 7-hex dragon... Ah me, a mere 20 normal orcs..." The real challenges and excitement of the system are at the less than super-human ranges. Plus, as Lars has mentioned, everyone looks the same, knows all the same skills, has all the same powers, casts all the same spells. Heck, you might as well have a clone machine mass producing super-heroes for you! For me, that kind of removed the joy of DIFFERENT characters competing in the same game space to accomplish the same goal in different ways.

BUT...having said that, if you prefer the old system, go for it! I will never critique the way you play, because last time I checked the only critique that REALLY counts is what your players want! And if they want that sort of thing, that's totally awesome! I'm just glad that the way the system now reads, I don't HAVE to go to that place anymore... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #23
hcobb

By investing half his salary in gear and taking enough adventures to earn 500 XP/year, a 50 year old wizard is at 15k XP and 200k gear.

So let's say ST 8 DX 12 IQ 20 Mana 20 (12,300 XP) plus five extra IQ points cost in talents and spells.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #24
RobW

I like this approach as a way to understand progression, estimated attribute number by yearly activity.

Checking -- To go from a starting 32 attr to 40 attr, doesn't that require 8300 XP?
ie, 100+100+200+300+600+1000+2000+4000 = 8300
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Checking -- To go from a starting 32 attr to 40 attr, doesn't that require 8300 XP?
ie, 100+100+200+300+600+1000+2000+4000 = 8300
Unless you are a Halfling, yes. Little guys just can't catch a break.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #26
RobW

Great -- here's a little chart I made showing, with the new system, how attributes would be expected to increase (game)year on year, assuming rates of 25, 100, and 500 XP per (game)year. Everything is invested into attributes, I don't think aging effects come into play for the range here.

http://melee.psyops.org/Progression.jpg.jpeg

Just sharing as I found this a useful way to think about progression. From this, very powerful NPCs would certainly be expected among the active (and lucky!) adventuring class.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #27
hcobb

Quote:
Yes, but I added in the Mana cost also.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #28
hcobb

Quote:
I don't think aging effects come into play for the range here.
ITL 10: "Age 50 to 70: Lose 1 attribute point per year."

Also I'd put three categories:

Sedate: Starts at 30 attributes and adds 100 XP/year from jobs rolls (at 2 XP each).
Active: Starts at 30 attributes but adds a few adventures and so makes 200 XP/year.
Adventurer: Starts at 32 attributes and adds 500 XP/year.

Note that only princes can afford Youth potions so the dragons can rest easy.

Last edited by hcobb; 05-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #29
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 10: "Age 50 to 70: Lose 1 attribute point per year."
Thanks -- I'll fix!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
TippetsTX

Bottom line... the rate at which XP is doled out is just as impactful to character progression as the escalating costs for stat increases.