Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #51
Tywyll

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Talents from ST and DX increases? No, I don't like that. Those stats already have plenty of inherent 'value' w/o adding another benefit. Plus I can't really see the logic in connecting those physical attributes to skill acquisition (beyond their current role as prerequisites).
I can. Pretty much any physical talent, weapons skill, etc should be tied to physical skill increases. The IQ thing is artificial and more a game relic than any reflection on real world behaviour.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #52
HeatDeath

"Conan the Wizard" isn't the only problem the new XP guidelines are trying to solve.

Any old-school dungeon-crawl system is going to have a distinct tendency to degenerate into a bunch of teenagers (mental, if not physical) indulging their sociopathic tendencies as a bunch of medieval superhuman murderhobos, but the old system of XP for landed blows and coups-de-grace positively encouraged it.

Steve writes at length in the Companion essay about how distasteful he finds that style of play. It's no surprise whatsoever that he took the opportunity to rip that dynamic out by the roots.

The increased emphasis on talents at high experience levels is a pretty clear attempt to shift the emphasis from raw progression-as-a-goal-in-itself to roleplaying, per se. I'm not seeing how the proposals here are much more than just an attempt to re-enshrine murderhobo-ism at the heart of the progression system.

[ Not to be construed as an attack, mind you. I'm of the tactical combat school of TFT - slamming roughly equal squads into each other and watching the blood spray is great! But these contests are frankly more interesting at low-to-middling power levels. And balance is absolutely necessary. To invoke Ogre, if you run a MkVI against a MkIII defense, neither player is gonna have fun, no matter how hard the MkVI player worked to "earn" it. ]
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #53
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I can. Pretty much any physical talent, weapons skill, etc should be tied to physical skill increases. The IQ thing is artificial and more a game relic than any reflection on real world behaviour.
Of course it's artificial... all game systems must abstract reality into limited rule mechanics, TFT moreso than most, but that doesn’t invalidate the approach. I think it is an inspired bit of game design TBH. Besides, dependencies on other stats are already built into the system in the form of prerequisites.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #54
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
"Conan the Wizard" isn't the only problem the new XP guidelines are trying to solve.

Any old-school dungeon-crawl system is going to have a distinct tendency to degenerate into a bunch of teenagers (mental, if not physical) indulging their sociopathic tendencies as a bunch of medieval superhuman murderhobos, but the old system of XP for landed blows and coups-de-grace positively encouraged it.

Steve writes at length in the Companion essay about how distasteful he finds that style of play. It's no surprise whatsoever that he took the opportunity to rip that dynamic out by the roots.

The increased emphasis on talents at high experience levels is a pretty clear attempt to shift the emphasis from raw progression-as-a-goal-in-itself to roleplaying, per se. I'm not seeing how the proposals here are much more than just an attempt to re-enshrine murderhobo-ism at the heart of the progression system.
Fortunately, I never experienced that kind of gameplay in TFT (though I certainly did in AD&D) so I don't think you can hang that on the ruleset. And shifting the progression emphasis away from stats to talents will not remove the possibility of gameplay degeneration into 'murderhobo-ism' since all you are doing is redefining what it means to achieve true power as a character.

On the subject of how XP is awarded, however, I strongly believe that a well-balanced approach includes both quantitative and qualitative elements (see one of my previous posts). Rewarding nothing but monster-killing, gold-grabbing behavior (I find treasure-driven XP to be particularly objectionable) is what leads to 'murderhobo-ism' IMO. It has nothing to do with how XP is eventually spent.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #55
TippetsTX

OK, I think I've finally settled on the character progression model that I will be using in place of the LE revisions in my campaign. I've worked on a few iterations over the last 8 months or so, but always felt the initial novice phase was over too quickly with my previous attempts. So without further ado...

Novice tier: Up to 36-points
31 - 100 XP
32 - 100 XP
33 - 200 XP
34 - 200 XP
35 - 300 XP
36 - 300 XP

Veteran tier: 37 to 42 points
37 - 600 XP
38 - 600 XP
39 - 800 XP
40 - 800 XP
41 - 1000 XP
42 - 1000 XP

Legendary tier: 43 to 48 points
43 - 2000 XP
44 - 2000 XP
45 - 2500 XP
46 - 2500 XP
47 - 3000 XP
48 - 3000 XP

Advancement beyond this point is possible, but unlikely given the escalating costs.