Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Snoopy's basement
Default [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements] Modifiying Traits

I'm wondering if anyone has worked samples of builds done using the rules on page 11 of this book for Modifying Other Traits. I did one and will post it if I can find it, but I remember wondering at the time if I had done it right.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
weby
 
weby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements]Modifiying Traits

There is nothing difficult about that as far as I see. Just take the total value and not only the bought value and calcultate the enchantment to it.

We have one in use:
Move bought with cosmic: Does not trigger waits: +50% bought at 2.5 points*total move value.

Thus her other actions can trigger waits but movement cannot. Thus enemy with a "if some enemy comes into melee range I will strike" does not get the wait action, but someone with "if I am attacked in melee I will strike at them" does get it.

There was talk of buying IQ with No die roll required at 20 points*total IQ.. but not done at least so far.

And so on.
__________________
--
weby's gaming stuff: http://weby.roto.nu
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Snoopy's basement
Default Re: [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements]Modifiying Traits

That seems straightforward, thanks. But I think there are cases more complicated.

For instance, I would like to remove the two seconds of Concentration before you can jump your full distance. Obviously the modifier to use is Reduced Time, but how to I get a base cost for the ability to jump?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements]Modifiying Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That seems straightforward, thanks. But I think there are cases more complicated.

For instance, I would like to remove the two seconds of Concentration before you can jump your full distance. Obviously the modifier to use is Reduced Time, but how to I get a base cost for the ability to jump?
A starting route would be to figure a fair cost for Cannot Jump as a disadvantage.

So say Cannot Jump is X points. Then you buy Cannot Jump, and buy it off as Can Jump (Reduced Time 2). That will give you a net positive point value equal to the difference.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Snoopy's basement
Default Re: [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements]Modifiying Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
A starting route would be to figure a fair cost for Cannot Jump as a disadvantage.

So say Cannot Jump is X points. Then you buy Cannot Jump, and buy it off as Can Jump (Reduced Time 2). That will give you a net positive point value equal to the difference.

Based on your suggestion, I found one reference to not being able to jump, under Legless (Tracks or Wheels) [-20]. The essential effects are: "you can neither jump nor negotiate obstacles that require arms and legs working together (e.g., a ladder or rope). You always leave a visible trail..."

Now the trail sounds like Nuisance, so call it 5% of the total [1], but splitting the other elements leaves me uncertain.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements]Modifiying Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That seems straightforward, thanks. But I think there are cases more complicated.

For instance, I would like to remove the two seconds of Concentration before you can jump your full distance. Obviously the modifier to use is Reduced Time, but how to I get a base cost for the ability to jump?
Just price it as a level of Super Jump with Aspected, Combat (-20%). Boom. No complicates. It's 8 points. You're good to go.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: [Power-Ups 4: Enhancements]Modifiying Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Based on your suggestion, I found one reference to not being able to jump, under Legless (Tracks or Wheels) [-20]. The essential effects are: "you can neither jump nor negotiate obstacles that require arms and legs working together (e.g., a ladder or rope). You always leave a visible trail..."

Now the trail sounds like Nuisance, so call it 5% of the total [1], but splitting the other elements leaves me uncertain.
I think I'd say Cannot Climb and Cannot Jump are each -10, and handwave the trail.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power-ups 4

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.