Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #61
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: In which I post about a TL9 solar system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Two reasons, really:
(1) Making their own processor so they make more money on the hardware. ARM's long been in the business of providing processor cores to people doing their own ASICs. They don't sell a lot of standalone processors.
(2) Power efficiency. Intel's made a lot of improvements in that metric, but x86 has always been more about flagship processing power. ARM, on the other hand, has a customer base of people doing embedded devices, as well as mobile ones. To that market, power efficiency and low cost generally matters more than top-end performance. Apple laptops need to save power more than they need maximum MIPS, as do iPhones.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
ARM doesn't make transistors any smaller than anyone else. In fact, transistor size comes from the chosen process; ARM's stuff is one level higher up.
That's exactly what I said, with the added note that RISC architecture uses fewer transistors than CISC architecture.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #62
Say, it isn't that bad!

Well, I'll be looking up the effects of Tesla field strengths probably tomorrow; but it sounds like ring electromagnetic shields, or at least mesh electrostatic shields, might be "viable enough" for TL9?

In the meantime, I'll be working on a post. Whether they work or not, we must carrier on.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #63
Say, it isn't that bad!

TL 9, Warship (carrier), SM+12 unstreamlined hull, 200 yards.

Pacific battleship included for reference.
Code:
Spacecraft Table
TL  Spacecraft              dST/HP      Hnd/SR  HT  Move                Lwt.    Load    SM      Occ     dDR         Range       Cost
Deimos Carrier              300/300     -2/5    13  0.005G/115.2mps     100kt   15kt    +12     <=600   70          --          $3.23B ($0.08B to refuel)
Pacific Battleship          200/200     -2/5    13  2G/4mps             30kt    9t      +11     <=200   100/100/50  --          $2.58B ($0.525B to refuel)
                                                    0.005G/40 mps
Code:
Front Hull      System ($1,020)
[1]             Advanced Metallic Laminate Armour (dDR 70, hardened) ($400M)
[2]             Hangar Bay (3,000t capacity, 500t launch rate, 10 workspaces) ($10M)
[3]             Hangar Bay (3,000t capacity, 500t launch rate, 10 workspaces) ($10M)
[4]             Hangar Bay (3,000t capacity, 500t launch rate, 10 workspaces) ($10M)
[5]             Hangar Bay (3,000t capacity, 500t launch rate, 10 workspaces) ($10M)
[6]             Hangar Bay (3,000t capacity, 500t launch rate, 10 workspaces) ($10M)
[core]          Control Room (20 control stations, 10 workspaces, Complexity 8 computer network, comm/sensory Level 10 (backup)) ($200M)
Code:
Central Hull    System ($670)
[2]             Tertiary battery (30 turrets, 5cm very rapid-fire gun, 6,000 shots) ($600M)
[3]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[4]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[5]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[6]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[core]          Habitat (600 cabins and cabin-equivalents, 10 workspaces) ($100M)
Code:
Rear Hull       System ($890)
[2]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[3]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[4]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[5]             Fuel tank (5,000 tons of hydrogen, 12 mps) ($30M) ($10M refuel)
[6]             Fusion Rocket (0.005G acceleration) ($1,000M)
The Deimos carrier was designed to project power beyond the Earth-Mars Alliance, in order to protect "...the citizens and interests of the Earth-Mars Alliance." Radiation problems are ameliorated by having crewmembers spend 8 hours on-shift in more exposed areas, and 16 hours off-shift in the shielded habitat. Before launching, pilots would take anti-radiation medication. Even so, cancer rates were statistically increased among crewmembers, especially when correlated with longer missions.

Opponents of the Deimos design noted potential flaws, including:
  • Lightly armoured, and unlikely to withstand any significant attack for long enough to evacuate the area, in the absence of its fighter complement.
  • Four times the fuel tanks of the Pacific battleship, for a little under three times the endurance.
  • Its point defence is unlikely to stand up to any moderate fighter or missile attack that breaks through its fighter screen.

After-action reports resulted in the confirmation of the following benefits:
  • Sufficient fighters (intercepters) and fighters (bombers) to engage in effective combat missions.
  • Sufficient range to project the interests of the Earth-Mars Alliance across "a substantial distance."
  • Point-defence sufficient for mild amounts of "leakers"; that is, enemy fighters or missiles which "leaked" past its fighter screen.
  • Fully refuelling all fuel tanks was considered a trivial exercise at any allied station, with the payment for said fuel being an "out of pocket" expense, and generally of easy to moderate difficulty at an occupied station.

After-action reports resulted in the identification of additional flaws, including:
  • Point-defence was only sufficient for mild amounts of "leakers"; that is, enemy fighters or missiles which "leaked" past its fighter screen.
    • Point-defence lacked long-term endurance.
  • No combat manuver ability; at best, "...it could do a controlled drift."
  • Very vulnerable to long-range energy weapons fire; if a warship armed with energy weapons could range on it, it would almost certainly suffer "substantial or critical damage."
  • Lack of dedicated tactical sensors hinder evaluation of the local combat area, and can render carrier command to effectively the role of an observer, after the formation of an initial battle plan and fighters have been launched.
  • The aforementioned and foreseen radiation problems.

No definite means of ameliorating these concerns within the design limits of a carrier "...is identifiable at the present time, save for larger carrier warships."

Historical note: Not coincidentally, the Earth-Mars Alliance had been hard at work relearning the art of war; including warship design.

Edit: 15kt loaded weight, not 18kt.

Last edited by Say, it isn't that bad!; 08-05-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #64
AlexanderHowl

I would suggest making the control room a rear core system, since it would be less vulnerable to radiation (and catastrophic damage during combat because it will presumably be facing the enemy). With 15,000 tons of secondary spacecraft, I would suggest one hundred fifty SM+6 fighters. For example:

Missile Fighters (SM+6)

Front: [1] AML Armor, [1] AML Armor, [2] Tactical Array, [3-4] Fuel Tanks (HEDM), [5-6] Medium Weapon Batteries (6 2.5 cm VRF Guns; 8400 2.5 mm rounds
Central: [Core] Habitat (Bunkroom), [1] AML Armor, [2] Hanger Bay, [3-4] Fuel Tanks (HEDM), [5-6] Medium Weapon Batteries (6 2.5 cm VRF Guns; 8400 2.5 mm rounds
Rear: [Core] Control Room, [1] AML Armor, [2] HEDM Rocket, [3-6] Fuel Tanks (HEDM)

Missile fighters are the workforce of any fighter group, as they are capable of crippling capital ships with a well placed kinetic energy attack. After launching from their mothership, they possess 4.8 mps of delta-v, allowing them to maneuver as they get close to their targets. They possess conventional guns for point defense and to protect them from other fighters. Their crews consist of a pilot, co-pilot, and two gunners, one for each triple turrets in the central hull section.

Within their mothership, the technicians of the hanger bays maintain the missile fighters. During deployment, their crews will sleep within their fighters while they will depend on the habitats of their motherships for specialized cabins. With five tons of cargo, they can be deployed for extended missions without difficulty. With 4.8 mps of delta-v, they are even capable of landing on any body in the Sol System smaller than Venus without difficulty, though they require refueling before returning to orbit.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:08 AM   #65
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would suggest making the control room a rear core system, since it would be less vulnerable to radiation (and catastrophic damage during combat because it will presumably be facing the enemy).
Good idea, but a plausible mistake for a nation that's relearning warship building to make. So I'm leaning towards adding it as a discovered flaw.
Quote:
With 15,000 tons of secondary spacecraft, I would suggest one hundred fifty SM+6 fighters. For example:
Missile Fighters (SM+6)

Front: [1] AML Armor, [1] AML Armor, [2] Tactical Array, [3-4] Fuel Tanks (HEDM), [5-6] Medium Weapon Batteries (6 2.5 cm VRF Guns; 8400 2.5 mm rounds
Central: [Core] Habitat (Bunkroom), [1] AML Armor, [2] Hanger Bay, [3-4] Fuel Tanks (HEDM), [5-6] Medium Weapon Batteries (6 2.5 cm VRF Guns; 8400 2.5 mm rounds
Rear: [Core] Control Room, [1] AML Armor, [2] HEDM Rocket, [3-6] Fuel Tanks (HEDM)

Missile fighters are the workforce of any fighter group, as they are capable of crippling capital ships with a well placed kinetic energy attack. After launching from their mothership, they possess 4.8 mps of delta-v, allowing them to maneuver as they get close to their targets. They possess conventional guns for point defense and to protect them from other fighters. Their crews consist of a pilot, co-pilot, and two gunners, one for each triple turrets in the central hull section.
I seem to have critically failed on my spot check for missiles. :)

In any case, I will probably not use that fighter as-is, but use it as inspiration. Much as I did with your rocketry and fuel tank posts, and the carrier; for which, thanks. :)

...I should add a credits.
Quote:
Within their mothership, the technicians of the hanger bays maintain the missile fighters. During deployment, their crews will sleep within their fighters while they will depend on the habitats of their motherships for specialized cabins. With five tons of cargo, they can be deployed for extended missions without difficulty. With 4.8 mps of delta-v, they are even capable of landing on any body in the Sol System smaller than Venus without difficulty, though they require refueling before returning to orbit.
I'm guessing you mean when deployed from the carrier? Other than that, I like all of this. The information about being able to land to land on moons, asteroids, Mars, and Mercury, but not Earth, is particularly useful.

Also, I think you mean "five tons of fuel". ;)
Old 08-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #66
AlexanderHowl

Sorry, they have three tons of cargo (Hanger Bay) and 40 tons of reaction mass (8 Fuel Tanks). The cargo in the hanger bay would probably be a mixture of provisions, survival gear, spacesuits, luggage, etc. in sealed storage pods, as the fighter crews would depend on the provisions that they brought along between resupplies. Since 1 ton of provisions would supply the four person crew for four months, I figure that resupplying would occur every three months (giving a one month leeway).

A SM+12 barge tender would probably be responsible for resupply. With two fusion engines, it would be capable of towing a SM+12 supply barge to resupply a carrier (a SM+12 supply barge would consist of one external clamp, two habitats, two cargo holds, two hanger bays, three steel armor, and ten fuel tanks). The SM+12 supply barge would act as a temporary base of operations, allowing the carrier to operate for long duration missions, with extra supplies, missiles, shells, fighters, etc. for the mission. It could also provide support services for the carrier, as it could have more extensive establishments, offices, and sickbays. I would personally give it spin gravity, to improve operational longevity, but that is just my preference. One such SM+12 supply barge could easily support a carrier for a year of normal operations.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:37 AM   #67
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Sorry, they have three tons of cargo (Hanger Bay) and 40 tons of reaction mass (8 Fuel Tanks). The cargo in the hanger bay would probably be a mixture of provisions, survival gear, spacesuits, luggage, etc. in sealed storage pods, as the fighter crews would depend on the provisions that they brought along between resupplies. Since 1 ton of provisions would supply the four person crew for four months, I figure that resupplying would occur every three months (giving a one month leeway).
So I was thinking basically two fighter roles: anti-fighter intercept, and anti-ship missiles.

You've just gone and pointed out that, for holding an area of space, fighters are basically troop-equivalents.
Quote:
A SM+12 barge tender would probably be responsible for resupply. With two fusion engines, it would be capable of towing a SM+12 supply barge to resupply a carrier (a SM+12 supply barge would consist of one external clamp, two habitats, two cargo holds, two hanger bays, three steel armor, and ten fuel tanks). The SM+12 supply barge would act as a temporary base of operations, allowing the carrier to operate for long duration missions, with extra supplies, missiles, shells, fighters, etc. for the mission. It could also provide support services for the carrier, as it could have more extensive establishments, offices, and sickbays. I would personally give it spin gravity, to improve operational longevity, but that is just my preference. One such SM+12 supply barge could easily support a carrier for a year of normal operations.
Overall, I like all of this, although, why two habitats? Duration for the supply barge could also be extended by having it arrive some time after the carrier(s); if the carriers are destroyed, it's time to run; and if the carriers are successful, it's unlikely they'll need it immediately.

I think Belters would be more likely to ensure that the supply barge is available immediately, as survival supplies have been embedded in their culture as a necessity; while the Earth-Mars Alliance would be more likely to get "fancy".

This would provide a small advantage to the Earth-Mars Alliance, as the lack of stealth in space means that it is highly unlikely you're going to pull off an ambush. Fighters, I think, can have situational "stealth through needle in a haystack that's been scattered across space", because there's a lot of contacts you might have to parse to find them. Also, some small number of contacts could share a telescope, but that's still a lot of telescopes. But warships and supply barges, you're going to know where they're going as soon as you detect their drive signature and run it through your database. Which is probably a matter of a few days. Well, provided you know their drive signature.

IMO, I think the Atomic Rocket assumption of "You'd just be able to track everything in the solar system" is implicitly presupposed on the idea of already having a VLA. For that matter, on a solar combat level, you don't need perfect stealth, and neither does a submarine; as long as the noise-to-signal ratio is high enough, if you can drop off often enough, you could achieve enough stealth for some advantage if the situation is appropriate.

The difference between "knowing" that fighters are coming in at 25 degrees and knowing they're coming in at 35 degrees, can be a major advantage to the attacker, even if it's a month till they get here.

Edit: And I just realized I contradicted myself in the same post.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #68
Say, it isn't that bad!

And for additional info, the warship classes I've assigned (anything below SM+11 waits on TL10, is heavily-shielded, or is automated):

Code:
Size Modifier   Warship Class
7               Corvette
8               Frigate
9               Destroyer
10              Cruiser
11              Battleship
12              Carrier
Old 08-05-2020, 03:59 AM   #69
Say, it isn't that bad!

In which I drop both a fighter, and some setting hints and details. Any similarities to people, living or dead, are coincidences.

Code:
Spacecraft Table
TL  Spacecraft              dST/HP  Hnd/SR  HT  Move        Lwt.    Load    SM  Occ   dDR   Range   Cost
Matterhorn Patrol Fighter   30/30   0/4     11  2G/4.8mps   100t    3.4t    +6  4     7     --      $4,850K ($240K to refuel)
Front Hull System ($2,460)
Code:
[1]             Advanced Metallic Laminate Armour (dDR 7, hardened) ($200K)
[2]             Tactical Comm/Sensor Array (3 workspaces, comm/sensory Level 6) ($1,000K)
[3]             Fuel tank (5 tons of HEDM fuel, 0.5 mps) ($30K) ($30K to refuel)
[4]             Fuel tank (5 tons of HEDM fuel, 0.5 mps) ($30K) ($30K to refuel)
[5]             Major weapons battery (1 turret, 30MJ laser) ($600K)
[6]             Fuel Cell (provides 1 power point for 12 hours) ($50K)
Central Hull System ($1,570K)
Code:
[2]             Hanger Bay (3t capacity, 3t launch rate) ($10K)
[3]             Fuel tank (5 tons of HEDM fuel, 0.5 mps) ($30K) ($30K to refuel)
[4]             Fuel tank (5 tons of HEDM fuel, 0.5 mps) ($30K) ($30K to refuel)
[5]             Medium weapons battery (10 turrets, 16cm missile launcher, 50 shots) ($600K)
[6]             Secondary battery (3 turrets, 2.5cm very rapid-fire gun, 8,400 shots) ($600K)
[core]          Habitat (1 bunkroom) ($100K)
Rear Hull System ($820K)
Code:
[6]             HEDM Chemical Rocket (2G acceleration) ($300K)
[core]          Control Room (2 control stations, Complexity 5 computer network, comm/sensory Level 4 (backup)) ($200K)
Typical of the early Solar War I Earth-Mars Alliance multi-role designs, the Matterhorn was a combination squad transport; dogfighter equipped with both a short-range laser turret and 3 close-range and point-defence guns; and an anti-shipping fighter with 10 16cm missile launchers. The missiles also proved effective at picking off exposed targets on stations. The fighter was variously described as a "jack-of-all-trades", "over-designed", "confused", and "lacking any specific competence."

Opponents of the Pacific design noted potential flaws, including:
  • It could only survive a few hits from its own major battery.
  • It could only survive a very short barrage from its own gun turrets.

After-action reports resulted in the confirmation of the following benefits:
  • Its point-defence was sufficient against most missile fire.
  • Its major turret gave it a substantial punch which could not be stopped by point-defence, and which outranged the weapons of its closest competitor.
  • It could land a small squad on almost any moon, or any asteroid, although some larger bodies would require ground-side refuelling.
  • It's anti-shipping missiles were effective for their purpose.

After-action reports resulted in the identification of additional flaws, including:
  • In any engagement where the Belter Timberwolf fighter could close in past the Matterhorns' laser turret, the Matterhorn typically faired poorly.
  • Cancer was statistically a major risk among crewmembers, especially when correlated with longer missions.

Overall, future Earth-Mars designs during Solar War I would focus on single-role fighters; especially some means of countering the Belter Timberwolf.

SolarNet commentary:

"Basically a flying coffin. Either way, you die too young." - Earth/Orbit/HoulihanStation/OutaMyCabbagePatch

"It's lonely out there. Just you, three other people, and your wingmates for months at a time. Hopefully the psych people knew what they were doing. I know Things happened a few of the times they didn't - no matter what EAMilNews says." - Mars/OlympusHighlands/Seacouver/TooManyShinyBits

"People were talking like we'd win our independence in a blaze of gunfire. In reality, yeah, they got torn up close in. But until then, your friends, family, clanmates would just keep blinking out as you crossed the distance blink blink blink..." - InnerBelt/AvalancheTribe/MayTheMusicNeverFadeStation/JazSoul

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Friends you'll never forget - no matter how much you want to. And George, no, your name does not rhyme with orange!" - Mars/Orbit/CreakyBits

"Listen, this fighter was the only thing that kept the Belters off of us! Don't forget the Port Chimborazo Massecre!" - Earth/NorthernUnion/Houston/NeverForget

"Go die in the cold because a CorpHead wanted to save a million credits." - InnerBelt/VoyagerTribe/GottaBeHereSomewhereShip/INeverMiss

"...Radiological Alert!" - Earth/Europe/York/Ohlol

Page [5/67] [Thread Closed]

Note: The Belter Timberwolf courtesy of AlexanderHowl; the full write-up and critique will appear later, or I could toss the formatted text over to you if you want?

Note2: The SolarNet commentary is new. I'll see how it goes. :)

Edit: Hopefully the one censored word isn't too much; it seemed appropriate, but I can remove it. Edit: After a little more thought, I decided to remove it. "It's what that character would do." is not a catch-all excuse.

Last edited by Say, it isn't that bad!; 08-05-2020 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:27 AM   #70
Say, it isn't that bad!

...And then I realized I had no Belter commentary. So, this is a notification that I've added Belter commentary.

Tags
solar system, space, tl9