Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
Helborn

Default Re: Torch in HTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A: Does Wizard page 23 "He may cast spells, but only on himself or his foe in HTH, and is at a -4 DX for that" apply ITL?

If so which non-fire spells hurt green slimes? (Staff occult strikes? Including from your silver dagger in HTH?)
If your dagger is your staff and you managed to get it out / hold on to it, then yes, it should give an occult strike.

Avert, Shock Shield, Blast, Open Tunnel, and Giant Rope (maybe). Avert doesn't hurt but will cause a slime to move away.

The limitation for targets of spells I would apply, the -4 DX penalty, maybe not.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
Skarg

The only things green slimes are immune to are "cuts and blows" (in TFT, that's probably just colorful language for ordinary physical attacks). Fire does double, but presumably other things that do damage would do normal damage. Where the line is exactly isn't terribly clear (giving GMs room to choose and give PCs something to learn rather than have their players read from a book).

I don't think Giant Rope would restrain a slime, which I'd expect to ooze through it, but maybe a magic Rope might sometimes distract a slime into trying to eat the moving thing for a turn. Or maybe not.

The -4 DX for spellcasting in HTH might seem to logically apply in ITL to figures who need to gesture to cast the spell in question, but perhaps not for spells they can just speak (unless the slime in on their head), or that they can cast with neither gestures nor voice. Or maybe it always applies because of distraction. Seems to me to be left up to the GM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
larsdangly

You are forced to use some judgement here, but my interpretation is that anything that harms you by cutting, impacting or otherwise deforming you is completely ineffective, chemical/environmental/mystical things like acid, lightning, or a staff's bolt do normal damage, and fire does double. I would rule a magic fist or bullet does nothing. A grenade or petard I would say does damage (though if you disagreed I would shrug rather than argue back). An interesting question is whether you can poison a slime. I'll try the next time I encounter one and report back on the effects.

I concur that a magic rope is pointless, and that you are -4 DX to cast spells while slimed.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
An interesting question is whether you can poison a slime.
I would think yes, because the slime's resistance to normal physical attacks is a result of its form alone — much like having stony skin would make one more resistant to the same attacks, but for the opposite reason. The slime is still an organic living thing though, presumably with cells and some kind of rudimentary nervous system, so poisons ought to affect it.

But I suppose it's a debatable point, and it might depend on the exact nature of the poison.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #15
hcobb

Quote:
An interesting question is whether you can poison a slime.
Slime Poison ITL 146
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
FireHorse

Quote:
Slime Poison ITL 146
Yeah, but that's a special poison made just for the purpose. (Extra-Strength Slime-Away™, apparently.) The question is whether a normal poison would work, with the same effects as on non-slimes.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
KevinJ

Quote:
A related question: Once a slime has slimed you, is there any way to get it off other than killing it? E.g., should you be allowed to disengage from HTH with a slime?
How do you disengage from 5 gallons of Jello Pudding?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Yeah, but that's a special poison made just for the purpose. (Extra-Strength Slime-Away™, apparently.) The question is whether a normal poison would work, with the same effects as on non-slimes.
ITL 146 "Corrosive Poison: Does 4 dice damage, taken internally or breathed. Not for weapons. Both this and the Simple Poison will affect any living being."

Also...

ITL 147 "Weapon Poison: May be used on any edged weapon, adding to the damage done by that weapon. One dose treats one weapon; extra poison has no effect. Affects any living being, doing 3 dice extra damage the first time the poisoned weapon hits, 2 dice the next time and 1 die the third time;"

So since slimes aren't undead...

Runs off to cast Zombie on a dead slime.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #19
KevinJ

How do you engage in HTH with 5 gallons of Slime? https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/universe-slime/en/

As has been pointed out in different posts:

1. Slimes are immune to cutting, crushing, and piercing and take double damage from Fire. Other things might do regular damage.

2. HTH is probably not the best term to use when attacked by a slime.

Enveloped is probably a better term for a Slimebush (slime ambush...) since the slime is on you, but you can't really put it in a choke hold.

Here's another thought? Does a 20ST Slime actually apply 20ST of force or is it just really hard to kill?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
So since slimes aren't undead...
Runs off to cast Zombie on a dead slime.
ROFL. Please, pretty please! What an awesome thought
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote