Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
FeiLin

Default Targeted Sweep?

Can I use Sweep (MA81) as a Targeted Attack (MA68)?

Sweep explicitly doesn't have hit location penalty (and do you even specify what body part you try to unbalance for the technique?), whereas the entire purpose of Targeted Attack is to remove hit location penalties.

Well, almost entire; there's still Combinations (MA80) that require, so the question is actually: can I use Sweep in a Combination (and if so, how?)?

Last edited by FeiLin; 05-29-2020 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Hit location penalties, not to hit penalties
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Targeted Sweep?

B232 says "sweep your opponent's legs" so I initially figured that this meant the -2 for targeting the legs was built into it.

MA81's language does seem broader though since it can now target the neck, head or legs.

"Hit location is a special effect – don’t apply a penalty for it." does actually feel kind of wrong...

After all, what if you have something else like an aura that would add damage whenever you contacted someone? Now the neck can be targeted at -3 instead of -5?

"slow pushing attack" sounds grappling-ish though, and it's only -3 to grapple the neck, so I guess it's not an advantage from that perspective... but it does feel weird to be just as easy to target a neck (-5/-3) as a leg (-2/-1)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
FeiLin

The way I see it is it’s not really targeting a specific location; you basically “aim high or low”.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Plane

A specific location does need to be known if you're going to deal with stuff like auras though.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
FeiLin

I guess the answer to what I’m looking for can be read between the lines: on MA80 they have an example that goes:
Combination (Judo Grapple/Torso + Judo Throw + Karate
Kick/Face)-14+14+9
With the Judo skill at 20, the only penalty is the Rapid Strike.

That makes me think I should be able to use Sweep as just “{weapon/unarmed skill} Sweep” at the built in -3 and then Rapid Strike on top of that, analogously to how the example uses Judo Throw. I’m not familiar with Judo Throw, but it seems the hit location option isn’t to hit in the first place but rather what location hits the ground and takes damage (and is stunned).

I guess what (Judo) throws me off is that Combinations must be Targeted Attacks, and Targeted Attacks must define hit location, which Sweep doesn’t seem to do explicitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
A specific location does need to be known if you're going to deal with stuff like auras though.
What’s an aura?

Last edited by FeiLin; 05-29-2020 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Sweep defaults at -3; not -5
Old 05-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
I’m not familiar with Judo Throw, but it seems the hit location option isn’t to hit in the first place but rather what location hits the ground and takes damage (and is stunned).
I generally assume that when you're making the throw, the contact used is:
1) between what you established a grapple with and where you grappled
2) between what you parried with and where you parried
If there are options BEYOND this it opens a can of worms w/ establishing contact via contesting rolls.

Quote:
Targeted Attacks must define hit location, which Sweep doesn’t seem to do explicitly.
Actually it seems like the new version DOES... but treats it as a feature where it doesn't affect the technique cost.

I'm not sure if that means you'd need to buy up the versions separately (Neck Sweep / Leg Sweep) or if it's still one technique for every variation...

Quote:
What’s an aura?
B102 enhancement for Innate Attack

With normally non-damaging attacks like grapples/trips/sweeps you don't need to worry about how hit location would affect wound multipliers, but with aura making any contact damaging, wound multipliers could matter for certain damage types.

Tags
combination, martial arts, sweep, targeted attack