Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
RobW

Default Re: Human Batteries

That leads to an even more dystopian world, where gargoyles, dragons, and other ingredient beasts are farmed and slaughtered for their parts.

Probably again by underpaid labourers working for the "man", who in this case is a female goblin

Word of Command: OBEY!!
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:36 AM   #12
Steve Plambeck

From ITL (152-153) one (1) apprentice is required for every 25 ST/day needed (I assume after the wizard itself spends 25 ST/day). So yeah, they are getting worked hard. Allowing for even a few missed DX rolls, each apprentice will slave all day to pump out 25 net ST.

Of course the one thing they will be learning is how to make those Iron Flesh rings they see being created all day long. Fat lot of good that'll do them until they get to at least IQ 18, and earn enough of everything to open their own Iron Flesh ring factories.

My reworking of all that, if I ever start a new game world that allows for magic item creation, would be to rewrite all that. The ST (Mana) cost per day would be low enough for all enchantments to be accomplished by one or two powerful wizards working in solitude. But the number of weeks required would go up immensely. It should take years in game time to make a Greater Magical Item, even a lifetime for multiple enchantments on a single item.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
ColinK

Um...if it takes years to create greater magic items, the occasional failure will be even more painful than in RAW, yes?
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #14
ColinK

If even lesser magic items are difficult, expensive and time-intensive to create, what keeps that horrid gnome mechanic from building a wind powered irrigation pump long before your vial of Magic Rainstorm drops is ready to deliver to your customer? Of course, then there is also the fact the dratted irrigation pump continues to function long after your customer's vial of Magic Rainstorm drops is empty.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
larsdangly

I think the magic item creation system in TFT is generally really good; it is far superior to any I've encountered in old editions or knock offs of D+D, where you have a similar demand for items but few if any obvious ways to make them. The only problem is the 'market cost' side of the rules, which are all over the map and generally too low.

One thing you could say for the market prices is that they facilitate groups who want to play a campaign that is sort of like building up a 'neopet' with junk you buy with points in the game. I don't have a critique of this idea; if it is fun for your group, why not? But if you are aiming at something like a 'normal' and sustainable fantasy campaign you have to ditch the whole idea of buying items at the listed prices.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote