Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: [Sorcery] Afflicting someone with Duplication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
An "evil twin" is a canonical Enemy (p. B135) and afflicting a disadvantage (which is really what you are trying to do) is a lot cheaper than an advantage-based affliction.

I wouldn't get hung up on that. If you "cast a spell" (afflict someone) to turn someone in a crowd into another person's ally, that's fine.
It feels like ignoring the physical/mental restriction is some kinda cosmic rule-breaker enhancement worth at least +50%. Sort of like with Modular Abilities if you want to do physical instead of (+50) or in addition to (+100) mental ones.

Quote:
And anyway Powers (p. P41) explicitly mentions that the Summonable enhancement changes Allies from a Social trait to a "supernatural ability" (assumedly Mental).
I agree, since it takes a Concentrate maneuver to do. P154 lists some other transient advantages that use Concentrates...

The upper-right box mentions
any ability that requires an IQ, Will, or Per roll to use is mental, while one that calls for a ST, DX, or HT roll is physical, unless the GM specifies otherwise.
So maybe it could be changed to physical if you put "requires HT roll" on it? Or perhaps it's possible to make an ability BOTH if you have requirements to roll both types of attribute?

Did we ever get any clarification on what B38 meant by "appears nearby" when they are summoned, or "if he is physically present" for being able to dismiss them? Not sure whether that's touch or to go with B101's "Assume that range is 100 yards" and allow people to take stuff like "reduced range" or "melee-attack" on "Allies" to save points.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
An "evil twin" is a canonical Enemy (p. B135) and afflicting a disadvantage (which is really what you are trying to do) is a lot cheaper than an advantage-based affliction.

You can't Afflict people with social disadvantages like Enemy.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
By RAW, no... but then how would you do it? Personally I'm fine with it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #14
Plane

Where is Summonable available as an enhancement for Enemies? I don't think you can necessarily just float all Allies modifiers over to Enemies...

If you want to do Affliction (Advantage) with adv being Allies (Summonable) then it would probably be the user of Affliction who gets to command those allies anyway, but he creates them in the viscinity of the target instead of himself.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #15
Refplace

I thought abut this a bit and Affliction Duplicate is a +350% enhancement, compared to +300% for mortal condition so I think its ok.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
By RAW, no... but then how would you do it? Personally I'm fine with it.
I would actually stick with Afflict Duplicate. Or make it a Summonable Ally with Cosmetic Shapeshift and Modular Abilities.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #17
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I have a trick for this: Afflict them with the mental advantage Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) with the Social+50% modifier, and then since the Afflictor controls the advantage, he can rearrange it into a social advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I thought abut this a bit and Affliction Duplicate is a +350% enhancement, compared to +300% for mortal condition so I think its ok.
That's of course only if you're slapping on the [35] version of it, since limitations could reduce it to [7] (Takes Extra Time 8?) and only +70%.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #18
naloth

Offhand, I'd go with Affliction-Duplication linked to Mind Control if you can exert some control and get benefits other than it distracting an opponent (ask it questions, have it help you in other ways, etc). Creating a super minion is incredibly useful.

If the evil twin exists only to vex/annoy the person it's cast on, then enemy seems good enough. It would not have any use beyond occupying your opponent.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, sorcery