Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Jose

Default [Magic] The weakest golems - The worst of ideas

I got a bad but hilarious idea.

Golems are a construct made by mages to do their bidding. Fighting included!

Now there is a template for a golem which is good and there is mentioning that you can make them stronger.
So what about weaker golems.

More specifically how would I make a truck load of ST 1 golems for essentially magically powered wargaming?

I know this is a bad idea but it would be hilarious.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: [Magic] The weakest golems - The worst of ideas

If these are small golems, they could be an exceptionally good idea if used creatively.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If these are small golems, they could be an exceptionally good idea if used creatively.
Yes. Yes they are.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Racer

I remember in Dragon Magazine article on funniest deaths , someone died after an attack by a Garlic Bread Golem ! Think it was Number 1 , just beating out a Mage who died after slaying the Toad that showed up after he cast Find Familar for the first time . Didn't like the Toad , stabbed it , failed his System Shock roll & died ! Shows it does pay to read all the rules ...

Hundreds of old style sulphur tipped Matchstick Golems could make almost unstoppable tiny , stealthy incendiary kamikazes .

Gingerbread Golems could plant Potions , poisons or hallucinogenic drugs in food & be extremely hard to detect . Those different coloured jelly buttons it has down it's front could each do something different - the white 'suger' powder on them could even be a neurotoxin . Golem itself could be poisonous ? IF discovered , it could self destruct be jumping into water , a fire or a hungry guard dogs mouth !

A clockwork Watch Golem could appear non magical ... until the chime is struck & it sprouts legs & tries to burrow into it's wearers heart ! Like the Scarabs in the Mummy films , a nasty surprise & a tricky little assassin almost impossible to detect .

With intelligence , cunning & a weird/odd/sick sense of humour the possiblities are endless ...

For those who have seen that episode of the British sitcom ' Only Fools and Horses' , imagine the fun to be had with an 'Inflatable Doll Golem' !!! 8-/ Or TEN ... Lol ;-)
Old 07-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I second Gingerbread Golems as ST 1. They should have high Speed and/or Move
Old 07-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
JHDude

Origami golems? Silent, able to move quickly (if the breeze is right) and subjects their enemies to a literal "death of a thousand (paper)cuts"
JHDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
More specifically how would I make a truck load of ST 1 golems for essentially magically powered wargaming?
The phrase "a truck load of ST 1 golems" puts me in mind of those mass-produced Army men given mobility. And that makes me wonder whether there's a spell for that sort of thing in GURPS Technomancer - which I don't have ready access to at the moment.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

3rd edition Magic Items 3 had all sorts of rules for Golems made of different materials. Some quite weaker than classic clay versions.
I don't have 4th, but knowing that it's mostly copy past 3rd...
I'll assume Clay golems cost 300 energy plus Shape Earth spell.
Cheapest version here are Scarecrows costing a mere 75 and Shape Plant.
Also there's a rule for adjusting energy cost based on size going no lower than 50% base price.
There's also a very weird unique one; Mandrake Golem that needs to be read in full to get.
There are also a whole suite of other optional rules and things for Golems in the chapter labeled Golem and Mechagolems.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
Celti

From GURPS Magic for 4th Edition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic, p. 59
Optionally, the GM may allow less powerful golems; golems worth less than 0 points cost 2 less energy for every character point below zero, to a minimum of 130 energy.
Thus, your cheapest golem still costs 130 energy and has a character template worth [-60].
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Personally I think particularly weak, stupid, and stealable golems should be possible at a much steeper discount - comparable to Zombies and Skeletons.

I had one custom golem that was just a cardboard box painted yellow with a crude, rectangular smiley face drawn on one side. It had 6 in all Attributes, did 1d cr by means of a jumping all-out attack, Move 6, Dodge 6, and cost 6 energy + $6 in raw materials to animate. Adapted from my test monster for RPG making software, which always starts with 6 in every value.

Tags
golem, magic