Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Doing strange things with Resonances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post

Demolition experts blow stuff up. Demolitions experts don't shrug their due diligence to "accidentally graze" targeted parties. A terrorist gleefully does due diligence to blow up targeted parties directly. If you want a Role to cover up explosions, there's one already available in the Symphony. So trying to skirt intent by contorting one to supplant the other (and its consequences) defeats the spirit of the game's and GM's judgment.
Could a Balseraph (or someone else, for that matter) set up a Role as a reckless demolitions expert? Or a clumsy surgeon? Or a negligent attorney? Yes, there are corporeal-world consequences for all of these, including the need to conceal one's activities from the corporeal authorities. But the same could be said of a Role as a terrorist or serial killer.

For that matter, what steps would a celestial take to transform a more responsible Role (demolitions engineer) into a less responsible one (insane terrorist)? Could you document that evolution in a way the Symphony would accept? If so, Liars have a little more elbow room if they're careful.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Matthias Wasser

Well, in the normal way that an engineer (or anyone else) becomes a terrorist: you join a group with your ideology of choice, establish and follow protocols to avoid detection by the authorities, and then plan and execute clandestine acts of violence to further your political goals. (Phrased this way, I suppose most Celestials serving Corporeal duties are pretty much there, but as far as Roles are concerned you'd probably want to embed yourself in a legitimately human operation.)

As for incompetence being part of your Role: my intuition is that Roles have to be authentic; if you have a Role as a professional boxer then you get paid to punch people in a ring, and so on. If you're actually really good at it, and are just deliberately fudging, I don't think you could acquire incompetence as part of the Role, since you're not actually being incompetent, just crafty. You could maybe incorporate extra unnecessary destruction for other reasons, but if the reason is say that you're just so wacky and random, I suspect a deliberate, non-wacky non-random act of destruction wouldn't be covered.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
Omegonthesane

Necroing because more edge cases.

What happens to a Shedite of the Game, currently under Humanity, who fails a resonance roll while oozing into a new human?

Is there a specific ruling forbidding a Balseraph of Fate with the Grigori resonance?

Is Kronos physically able to grant his Balseraph attunement to Balseraphs not directly in his service?

Since it came up in earlier discussions, does a Balseraph-Malakite of Fate get immunity to Trauma?
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegonthesane View Post
Necroing because more edge cases.

What happens to a Shedite of the Game, currently under Humanity, who fails a resonance roll while oozing into a new human?
I thought any sort of demon using Humanity was unable to do anything a human can't do - including use its resonance. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Is there a specific ruling forbidding a Balseraph of Fate with the Grigori resonance?
I'm not aware of one from a game-mechanics standpoint.

Does Kronos know about Grigori, though? They were active while the demons were still sealed in Hell, after all.

Quote:
Is Kronos physically able to grant his Balseraph attunement to Balseraphs not directly in his service?
Any Superior can grant his Band (or Choir) Attunement to any member of the matching Band (or Choir).

Quote:
Since it came up in earlier discussions, does a Balseraph-Malakite of Fate get immunity to Trauma?
Good question. What did the earlier discussions say, again? (Especially the ones where AABeth took part.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I thought any sort of demon using Humanity was unable to do anything a human can't do - including use its resonance. I could be wrong, though.

From the Asmodeus sourcebook section on Humanity:

He may use attunements, both passive ones and
those requiring Essence to fuel them (including Humanity
itself), as well as his basic resonance ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #16
William

Quote:
Book says no "known" cases, which is a strong suggestion but not explicitly forbidding it.

Quote:
According to various pronouncements by high-ups, nope, just resonance.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #17
Omegonthesane

If a human possessed by a Shedite is attacked with Ethereal Entropy or high level Numinous Corpus: Tongue, who takes Mind hits, the host or the guest? (Or both?)

If a Shedite is possessing something which doesn't have Mind hits (e.g. a Vaputech laptop, or a Fire Shedite possessing a fire), does the situation change?

Last edited by Omegonthesane; 06-11-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
robkelk
Untitled

I'd say whoever's in charge would take the Mind hits. If the Shedite is just making suggestions to a possessed human, the human takes the damage; if the Shedite is "driving the bus," it takes the hits.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resonances, roles