Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Cone and Jet

I've always seen Cone as a way to change a one target Innate Attack to a cone shaped area attack and that a continuous stream, of lets say fire, leaves the attacker's hand to the limits of the cone. Affecting everything in that area.

But now it seems that that is a combination of Cone and Jet.

How does Cone actually work on its own?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Cone and Jet

Jet is a flamethrower. It can be any damage type, but, it's the same concept.

Cone is more like the giant laser blasts from mechs in anime. You get a solid beam that hits everything between the user and its maximum range, and may or may not expand as it goes.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Jet is a melee attack. Per the description, it does not (despite what you might assume from the description of a "continuous stream") affect everything between the caster and the target. Jets hit targets one at a time, and use melee attack rules for Maneuvers (Deceptive Attack, AoA Double, and so on) rather than the ranged rules.

The attack which blasts everything in a line of hexes from the caster to one target is a one-hex wide Cone.

Also, the origin point for a Cone is not necessarily the caster. It's a triangular Area of Effect which starts at some origin point. For a ranged attack, that origin can well be at a distance. (This could represent an attack like canister or flechette rounds from a cannon.) Fluff-wise, the triangular area might even spring into being at range without anything travelling from the caster to that area. (Never fight the supervillain Landslide in a narrow canyon.)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 02-06-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

I know that Jet is a melee attack. And when I was thinking of Cone, I was thinking of something that worked something like an area effect Jet. Hence my original post.

If I have a trait with the Cone modifier, that cannot start anywhere other than with me as the origin point. What limitation is that (if it already exists) and what is it worth?

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-05-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Also, the origin point for a Cone is not necessarily the caster. It's a triangular Area of Effect which starts at some origin point. For a ranged attack, that origin can well be at a distance. (This could represent an attack like canister or flechette rounds from a cannon.) Fluff-wise, the triangular area might even spring into being at range without anything travelling from the caster to that area. (Never fight the supervillain Landslide in a narrow canyon.)
Umm...the origin point IS the caster, unless you buy an enhancement like Overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set pg 413
Once you know the target point, imagine (or trace on a battle map) a line between the attacker and that point. The cone spreads to either side of this line, out to its maximum range.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Umm...the origin point IS the caster, unless you buy an enhancement like Overhead.
That's how I've been reading it too. But as it seemed I'd misread Cone, I wanted to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set pg 413
Once you know the target point, imagine (or trace on a battle map) a line between the attacker and that point. The cone spreads to either side of this line, out to its maximum range.
And this, which I figured out after I posted yesterday and therefore removed one of my questions from my previous post, tells me it works as I want it too. Just not for the reasons I thought before starting this thread.

Tags
cone, jet