Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Secret Spells learned in Game

Thanks folks! I appreciate the views/insights/opinions very much.

Ghostdancer
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If a character were to learn a spell considered "secret" in the campaign would they still need to pick up the Secret Spell perk? Or do they get a pass?

Also if a character creates a spell known only to them do they need a theoretical "Unique Spell" perk?

This just came up in game and I wanted some opinions while we had a break.

Thanks everyone who answers.

Ghostdancer
My preference is that the "Lost is Lost/Found is Found" rules from 3rd Editoins' Supers editions apply to all items not purchased with CP. A spell is an item for this discussion. It entered the game through actual roleplaying and is open season.

Yes, you do have a secret: knows a forbidden spell, but this is an acquired disad that can be resolved away through play, not points.

(Though points may be used instead it's still in the roleplayable camp.)

You're character got the spell in game, it's his or hers.

In game consequences for getting it are also his or hers.

Don't mess up point values if you don't have to.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Yes, you do have a secret: knows a forbidden spell, but this is an acquired disad that can be resolved away through play, not points.
Secret Spell is NOT forbidden spell, it's a 1 unusual background for a spell that keep hidden by those that know it, not because they would get in trouble but because they don't want others to know it.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If a character were to learn a spell considered "secret" in the campaign would they still need to pick up the Secret Spell perk? Or do they get a pass?
In the course of the campaign, the secretness of the spell is represented by the stuff you have to go through to persuade someone to teach it or find a book that has it. It will be much more difficult to even find a source for the information. But it won't take more hours to learn it. I probably wouldn't let them be bought with exprience points though, because you can't have experience in something you've never done.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
In the course of the campaign, the secretness of the spell is represented by the stuff you have to go through to persuade someone to teach it or find a book that has it. It will be much more difficult to even find a source for the information. But it won't take more hours to learn it. I probably wouldn't let them be bought with exprience points though, because you can't have experience in something you've never done.
For those, no I require study time which is a precious commodity for my PC's. Want to learn that super secret spell from the Archmage you did a favor for (or) make some more temp. enchantment fireball coins?

If anyone is curious I decided to require the time spent for the spell itself but a earned CP if you are looking for the spell or a freebie if you just learn it from a grimoire or something like that. It's worked out well so far and my next "cross-over" is two weeks from this Wednesday. I can't wait!

Thanks for everyone who helped me out.

Ghostdancer
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, perks