Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #41
Godogma

Default Re: Need a ruling on deflect

Situation doesn't apply here, Kalzazz is the one who wanted me to join this forum and he often says the best thing about GURPS is that you can ask for clarification when you don't know how something works or there is a disagreement or any number of things that invariably pop up in a system this complex.

And generally Kromm can clear it up for you and is willing to give up some of his valuable time to answer.

Personally I think that's true and a good thing, whether YOU see it as a breach of trust is immaterial and I don't particularly care what you think because it doesn't regard your feelings in the first place. It regarded a confusing rule and I asked for clarification in the middle of a blazing fight the contents of which are none of your concern.

Disagreements are going to happen - its inevitable, and if we'd stopped gaming together the first time we had one Kal and I would have been a lot more bored these past ... I dunno four or five years.

EDIT: Actually more like 6-10 years...

Last edited by Godogma; 09-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #42
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
Situation doesn't apply here, Kalzazz is the one who wanted me to join this forum and he often says the best thing about GURPS is that you can ask for clarification when you don't know how something works or there is a disagreement or any number of things that invariably pop up in a system this complex.

And generally Kromm can clear it up for you and is willing to give up some of his valuable time to answer.

Personally I think that's true and a good thing, whether YOU see it as a breach of trust is immaterial and I don't particularly care what you think because it doesn't regard your feelings in the first place. It regarded a confusing rule and I asked for clarification in the middle of a blazing fight the contents of which are none of your concern.

Disagreements are going to happen - its inevitable, and if we'd stopped gaming together the first time we had one Kal and I would have been a lot more bored these past ... I dunno four or five years.
Of course, my feelings on it are immaterial as I have no feelings on how you guys run your table. However, I do see quite often people logging onto a forum (Just about any gaming forum, really) in a tizzy because their GM disagreed with how they thought a rule in a game worked, whether it was a confusing rule or not and merely commented.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
CousinX

I agree with Not another shrubbery when he agreed with Bruno and vicky_molokh; with that, we have reached the mystic number of GMs required to enact a spell of binding over the mighty Kromm, and thence overrule him. From now on, NO ONE MAY USE DEFLECT IN ANY CAMPAIGN, EVER AGAIN.

The Tetravarate Has Spoken.
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #44
Godogma

Yeah, good luck with that.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #45
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinX View Post
I agree with Not another shrubbery when he agreed with Bruno and vicky_molokh; with that, we have reached the mystic number of GMs required to enact a spell of binding over the mighty Kromm, and thence overrule him. From now on, NO ONE MAY USE DEFLECT IN ANY CAMPAIGN, EVER AGAIN.

The Tetravarate Has Spoken.
at best the binding will only hold for a year and a day...
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #46
Stripe

Looking forward to Magic, Fourth Edition Revised. It can go straight to PDF for all I care.

Don't we have a Plant Spells revision as a book coming down the chute? I'd rather see an enchantment spells chapter expansion/revision. That said, I'll be certain to buy the plant spells book as it sounds really cool.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #47
CousinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
Yeah, good luck with that.
Luck has nothing to do with it. IT IS THE LAW. Any violation will be met with harsh indifference, even apathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
at best the binding will only hold for a year and a day...
Alas, you're right. And I fear not even that long ...the Tetravarate is a distractable lot, and can't be bothered to maintain concentration, pay maintenance costs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Looking forward to Magic, Fourth Edition Revised. It can go straight to PDF for all I care.

Don't we have a Plant Spells revision as a book coming down the chute? I'd rather see an enchantment spells chapter expansion/revision. That said, I'll be certain to buy the plant spells book as it sounds really cool.
I don't think it's a revision but an expansion... I think RPK said something to the effect that they took the Plant college from Magic as canonical, and added all-new content.
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #48
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

No the Plant book is going to expand, not revise.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #49
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Except for GURPS Lite there aren't any "full suits" in 4e anyway. That's clearly 3e legacy.
Well, unless I'm greatly mistaken, Low Tech will reintroduce them (more or less)

Now, in my games, Deflect acts like protection rings in D&D: You don't get discount for piecemeal enchantment, but any item enchanted with deflect gives you the bonus to defenses (thus a silk glove with deflect +3 would give you +3 to all defenses, and the enchantment would cost the same as if it was enchanted in a hooded robe that concealed all the body). Also, I don't allow it to stack between shield and armor (so if you have a +3 deflect on a large shield, and a +3 deflect on your armor, you don't get DB9, only DB6, making one of the deflect enchantments a waste. Still, a Deflect+3 shield would give you +3 DB on areas that the sheild does not cover, such as the opposite side and rear [should you have a way to defend against attacks from the rear])
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, unless I'm greatly mistaken, Low Tech will reintroduce them (more or less)

Now, in my games, Deflect acts like protection rings in D&D: You don't get discount for piecemeal enchantment, but any item enchanted with deflect gives you the bonus to defenses (thus a silk glove with deflect +3 would give you +3 to all defenses, and the enchantment would cost the same as if it was enchanted in a hooded robe that concealed all the body). Also, I don't allow it to stack between shield and armor (so if you have a +3 deflect on a large shield, and a +3 deflect on your armor, you don't get DB9, only DB6, making one of the deflect enchantments a waste. Still, a Deflect+3 shield would give you +3 DB on areas that the sheild does not cover, such as the opposite side and rear [should you have a way to defend against attacks from the rear])
It still means that Defending Whatever is incredibly pointless, unless you plan to spend a LOT of money on defensive enchantments.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fourth edition, gurps, magic, ruling