Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Resources

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #61
Whome?

Default Gurps Transhuman Space - Chthonian Stars

Mongoose Publishing a FULL COLOR HARDBOUND book for their Traveller line that looks like an excellent adventure for Gurps Transhuman Space:

Chthonian Stars
Release: October 2010
Specs: 220 pages, Full Color, $44.95
Overview: It is a good time to be alive. The nations of the world still exist, but they have become more civilized. Countries resolve their disputes through the forum of the United World Council. Colonies of mutual cooperation exist throughout the solar system. We have stretched to the edge of our known world.

But, alas, it is not to be our time.

Something approaches, a thing on an orbit from far away. Seemingly a large shard of dark matter, this object is known in obscure prophecy as the Chthonian Star. It is a thing that has been traveling through the universe on its oblique trajectory for millions, if not billions, of years. It is a part of the natural cycle of things, on its eon-long orbit. The Chthonian Star is the thing that caused the end of the dinosaurs, among other things. Now, again, it is awakening things long thought lost or dead, things that have slumbered awaiting its return.

Chthnonian Stars brings a Lovecraftian flair to the Traveller family of products, in a near future setting where mankind has expanded out into our solar system, where old things are beginning to awaken.

Sounds like a perfect match for Gurps Transhuman Space!

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/ho....php?qsID=1877

Last edited by Whome?; 07-03-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Add more information
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #62
moldymaltquaffer

Default Re: GURPS Community Campaign & Adventure Repository

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Non-Yrth fantasy.

I stopped updating the site partially because it became obvious nobody in the group was reading it.

The rest of the reason was a player going out of his way to sabotage another PC and the arc the campaign was on. <shrug> I couldn't have continued to write up the adventures without making this apparent.
In retrospect, I should have called him out. Letting him get away with it and re-orienting the campaign so that his character got more facetime made him feel that I was "picking on him". Things wound up blowing up much more colorfully than if I'd just stopped the session and called him a <bleeping bleep> for screwing over another player.

Items of special interest might be the Creation Myth, Orc Race, and Houserules. The Adventure Logs are good for many laughs.

There are some meta-game "secrets" hinted at in various parts of the wiki for the observant to uncover.
One of the most prominent is that the king's sword is an artifact from the gods. It is the customary accolade upon achieving a noble rank and pledging fealty to the king that bestows sorcerous (psi system) power to the recipient and his descendents.
Another is that the gods of the primary pantheon are dead (and presumably, dreaming). Their power lingers on, but they are no longer directly affecting the world. (This is partially played out by priests of the Death god, Fertility goddess, and Trickster god having unusually close relations with religions that are officially suppressed. And with the reason they're suppressed in the first place.)
Another are the mana sinks/black stones. (Did I steal the idea from REH? You bet your britches.) They anchor slightly-customized "in-betweeners" from GURPS:Voodoo. Basicly, minor gods created by humans (through blood magic and human sacrifice) in the forgotten past to protect them from the fey. At a cost. (Yes, the "murder addiction" disad is in full effect.) The one in the capital anchors a minimum-power Corrupter, instead.

I believe it was the unfolding secret of the stones that caused the one player to actively rebel. (At least I did a good job of freaking him the frak out!)
It *did* unfold a bit faster than I'd planned. One of the PCs challenged the godling of Eayrre to a duel. (I'd presented him as a professional duelist and confidant of the Duke. The depiction was largely inspired by the villianous fop in the "Rob Roy" movie. Somehow, the player of a generalist character translated that as "mook".) One feint, one called shot, one gout of blood, and one dead PC. (Followed by a round of Fright Checks as the duelist's true snake-man form briefly evidenced itself.)
Which explains why he flipped about the arc, but not why he sabotaged the other player. (I speculate that it's because the other character had some plot coupons--in this case, unusual corroded brass coins--I'd included just in case they stalled out, and I needed a hook to hang something on. Besides, they were *really* cool props to drop on the table.)

Feel free to rip off any bits that you find interesting. (But credit would be nice.)

I can't really post the text of most of the handouts I gave. Copyright, and all that legalistic stuff.
moldymaltquaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #63
DAT

Here is a adventure with some assembly (customization) required:

Title: The Other Side
Genre and Setting: An action-adventure fantasy that starts in Modern times.
Description: Starts in the world we know as reality (but won’t stay there).
Player Characters: The characters should all be one of:
1) stylized versions of the players (i.e., set a year or two in the future after they have acquired some adventuring skills: e.g., lost the extra weight they wanted from hiking, learned to drive motorcycles, trained to shoot big game on an Africa Safari, learned rock climbing, etc.),
2) Recent Modern Day high school / college grads who all know one another,
Or
3) Modern Day Action Adventurer types (per GURPS Basic Templates: Investigator, Soldier of Fortune, etc.).
Mission Statement: PCs are invited to dinner by either :
1) you (the GM)
or
2) a friend/teacher/professor/war buddy/former colleague etc.
and find a letter asking for help. Time and or Cross-Dimensional Travel may be involved.
Play Style: Focus will be divided between mystery/problem solving and action/adventure, with opportunities for role-playing and realistic combat action.
Rules System and Level: GURPS 4th Edition (link) with standard 150 point characters.
Source Material: Some, or all of the following: GURPS Ice Age, GURPS Land Out of Time, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Lost World, “The Wild Side”

GM Notes:
For the adventure, you/ a friend/professor/war buddy/etc. have invited the characters to your/the friend’s/professor’s/war buddy’s house for dinner and to show them a wonderful discovery you/he/she has made. When the characters arrive, you/he/she is not there. There is a cryptic note saying that if you/he/she is not back by the time they arrive, then you/he/she needs the characters help. The note directs the characters to go to the old shed/garage in your back yard (or a property a short drive away that you have recently inherited), close the door, and then pull/push/twist something. If they do, it reveals a secret passage leading down. If they go down the passage it ends in a large room. The room is filled with ATVs (enough for everyone), camping gear, med kits, food, a hand written map sitting on a table, and a cabinet with weapons. At the end of the room is large ornate stone door, with strange symbols carved into it. Also on the table is a note in your/the friend’s/professor’s/war buddy’s hand writing that says:
“I’ve gone to site A (see the map). I should have been back an hour before you arrive. If not, I’ve run into trouble and need your help. Load up the ATVs with fuel and supplies for a few days (time runs differently on the other side, 1 hour here is a day there), bring the map and weapons, and drive through the doorway. Once on the other side, go through the exit cave and follow the map. Good Luck. I’m counting on you.”
“Site A” is clearly marked on the map, and from notes on the map, seems to be about a day’s drive away.

If they do what the note asks, they will end up in “The Other Side”, which is:
a) the world described in “GURPS Land out of Time” (available from e23),
b) a prehistoric world like described in “GURPS Ice Age” (available from e23),
c) a strange desert island (a.k.a., TV show “Lost”, D&D Module “Isle of Dread”),
d) in the middle of a great desert (“GURPS Banestorm”, “GURPS Arabian Nights”), or
e) any other place you think they might enjoy exploring.
What ever place you decide, there should be a way to earn money (i.e., how you paid for the ATVs and other equipment), a stream with lots of gold that you panned, rare plants you sold, artifacts from the ancient city you sold, or what ever.

The reason you didn’t make it back was:
a) your ATV ran out of gas;
b) your were trapped by a flooded river;
c) your ATV was damaged and you injured (twisted ankle) in a rock slide;
d) you were captured by cave men/lizard men/natives;
e) a dinosaur/saber-tooth tiger/other creature has you cornered is a safe place, but away from the ATV and your weapons;
f) you were caught in a trap in the ancient city at “Site A”; or
g) anything else you like.

As if driving out of a cave to a new world (in full daylight) wasn’t enough of a shock, give them a herd of dinosaurs/a mammoth/or other non-natural/native creature passing by scene to drive home that “we ain’t in Kansa any more” moment.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #64
Captain-Captain

Inspired by this thread I offer the following:

The Sickening of the savages.

Odd diseases are showing up on a low tech planet. Investigation shows no outside source of pathogenic infection and over time given the natives' non-standard biochemistry, pathogens are ruled out.

Turns out that they're being irradiated and explosed to advanced tech toxins.

Someone is smuggling in metals and other materials the local smiths can use from a nearby nuked out world. Smuggled steel that's radioactive, materials used to extract gold from ore that itslef is laden with industrial waste and so on.

the PCs have two problems if they are to put an end to this. 1) Figure out how the smugglers are getting past the mostly automated orbital defense grid that is supposed to keep the nuked planet quarantined and 2) Figure out how they're smuggling these 'goods' in through a patrolled system to the protectorate world.

Two completely different types of protection.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #65
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Turns out that they're being ... explosed....
That's gotta be messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Smuggled steel that's radioactive
Unless the steel contains radioactive isotopes in it, it wouldn't be radioactive. It'd be contaminated with radioactive fallout, which is different. Which means the smugglers should also be showing signs of radiation sickness as well from handling it.

Sounds like it should be fun.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #66
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
That's gotta be messy.

Unless the steel contains radioactive isotopes in it, it wouldn't be radioactive. It'd be contaminated with radioactive fallout, which is different. Which means the smugglers should also be showing signs of radiation sickness as well from handling it.

Sounds like it should be fun.
That there doesn't appear to be evidence of any star sailors in the area coming down with unexplained rad poisoing may be a Ka Lewww. ;)
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #67
Sir Tifyable

Quote:
Originally Posted by modred11 View Post
If anyone needs webspace for their campaigns, the Wikia GURPS Wiki is rather empty. I'm one of the admins, and I'd be glad to have people's campaign descriptions up there.
Thanks for the suggestion, Modred.

I've posted a brief narrative of the Lord Beresford's Travellers campaign so far to the GURPS Wiki at http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Ber...27s_Travellers

Even more briefly: an 1870 Steampunk/magic campaign about the exploration of the wild places of the world. So far they've been to South America in search of El Dorado (didn't find it, but found the Lost World as is de rigeur for pulp fiction adventurers in South America), to Africa with a psychic archaeologist in search of the Kingdom of Sheba (found it, but buried beneath the glaciers of Angola), and are now on the Orient Express, bound for Tibet. (Yes, they will need to change to reach their destination...)
Sir Tifyable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #68
huensao

My current campaigns are both GURPS 4e.

Peribord & Hornsby: A Year of Wandering - A solo fantasy campaign. The PC is a recent graduate of the Golden Order Magical Society, a college of sorts. This is my first attempt at trying out fantasy tropes in a 4E game, as well as doing very in-depth session recaps. Basically, the game deals with questions of how government responds to a world where private citizens can learn to wield god-like power. The plot is evolving well. 150 pt characters.

Ultimate Salty - Weird name, I know. This game is basically a paean to the hardcore survival genre. The players are in a Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic wasteland where things like guns and cars exist, but bullets and fuel are rare. Bandits are everywhere, water is always in short supply, armor is piecemeal, bullets are like fate points, encumbrance is ruthlessly audited, currencies are ad hoc and unstable, and towns are more like walled forts. The players only have one mandate--survive. They take bounties for local bandit groups, do odd jobs like motorcycle repair, and just generally try and figure out how to carry what they have and keep it safe from theft. Right now they're tracking down a fellow bounty hunter who shot their partner and made off with a captive bounty they had all taken down together. But along the way they unintentionally killed the leader of a powerful motorcycle gang. One of the players nearly lost a leg in the fight, and is now bedridden. Meantime, the rest of the group is running around the wasteland trying to avoid patrols and stay alive while keeping their horses fed and watered. 100 pt characters.
huensao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #69
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

The Heroes of Kalaman A pbp fantasy campaign that takes place in a slightly altered Dragonlance setting shortly after The War of the Lance. The city of Kalaman was destroyed during the war and all available resources are now being gathered in the rebuilding. The King has asked the PCs to help by donating as much as possible of what they find while they adventure and he has given them a mandate to arrange new or increased donations.

Last edited by Dragondog; 10-02-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #70
arconom

The Crosstime Presidents' <insert verbiage here> Squad!!!

After the discovery of time travel, Washington, Lincoln, Jackson, Reagan, and Taft formed an elite <> squad to <> the <> of the <>. Franklin serves as the squad's inventor, since he can't actually be a field agent.

Build Presidents on a cinematic 200a/70d point base. Washington might be a few more than that.

Washington should have things like:

Skills
Making Cocaine IQ + 1
Innate Attack Gaze DX + 2
Rapier DX + 2
Axe DX + 3
Bear ****ing DX + 3

Advantages
People are afraid of me +2 reaction bonus
I invented cocaine + 2 reaction bonus from drug dealers/users
The President + 2 reaction bonus from Americans
Innate Attack LASER EYES 4d (2) burning
Flight Nusiance Effect (Rainbows)
Growth 4
Made of Radiation (only when at max size - 10%)
Two brains (maybe compartmentalised mind and limited injury tolerance?)
30 dicks + 2 reaction from ladies?

Disads
Intolerant of British children
Sense of Duty America
Doesn't like cherry trees

Build the others in a similar fashion and release the Presidents into the wild. The destruction shall be legendary.

Some ideas for the <> include: Crime Fighting, Assassination, Hit, Science!, Time Travelling, Bear Hunting, World Saving, Ferret Breeding, Superhero, Political...and their opposites.

Last edited by arconom; 09-30-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Washington is awesome
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nigirea