Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #271
Palmer

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm not sure what the deal with the MIBs is, I've personally never seen one. I'm not sure the program is at all very effective.
I'm not sure what the deal is with courts of law, I've personally never seen one. I'm not sure they're at all very effective.

Quote:
If I could humbly suggest one thing, perhaps the MIB program might be improved. Does it actively recruit in regions where there is a need?
It's a volunteer program. Recruiting is done by existing MIBs. If none are in your area, and none visit your area, then who the hell can recruit anyone?

I myself am in an area that was MIB-free for YEARS. I was recruited by an MIB from a different country who came up for a convention. I've recruited MIB myself since then.

For areas with no MIB presence at all... people can apply directly themselves.

The key point to remember is that MIB is a volunteer program, by fans for fans. It doesn't have a big advertising budget or anything. It certainly doesn't have the resources to scout various places and determine if there's enough of a market to warrant an MIB... that's something MIBs do themselves!
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #272
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm doing my part to help out GURPS by buying GURPS Classic items. Got 13 more today, for just a smidge over $100 (bringing my G-C collection to, hmmm, around 36... and that doesn't even count the times I've accidentally bought duplicates! :-P).

Looking forward to more Classics. Pure profit (once the cost of scanning and layout are complete), far as I can tell.
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #273
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I'm not sure what the deal is with courts of law, I've personally never seen one. I'm not sure they're at all very effective.
Weird. You should try speeding more, or parking illegally. Or just register to vote (or however juries are selected were you live). Personally I pass the courthouses of two counties on daily commute (and two FLGes, but no MIBs). :)
Quote:
It's a volunteer program. Recruiting is done by existing MIBs. If none are in your area, and none visit your area, then who the hell can recruit anyone?
With the interwebs? Look I don't know how it works at all and I'm sure I sounded more hostile than I intended to. I apologize. I was just musing that the regional directors ought to know what areas of their regions completely lack MIBs and therefore would know where to direct recruiting efforts. Then they could use these forums (and other places on the webz with obsessed gamers) to find people to fill them.

Quote:
For areas with no MIB presence at all... people can apply directly themselves.
The problem is, how do I know I'm in a MIB free area? Or maybe my FLGS just isn't worth driving to for a MIB in LA or SB? Or even if I maybe just don't realize that some quiet guy is a MIB? How big an area is a single MIB supposed to cover anyway?

As it is it seems unlikely to me that a person that might make a good MIB would even know that the program exists, unless they also spend a lot of time on this site.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #274
DrFaust
MIB

Quote:
As it is it seems unlikely to me that a person that might make a good MIB would even know that the program exists, unless they also spend a lot of time on this site.
I think conventions and store demos are the big recruiting grounds. That's where MIBs are most visible and most likely to recognize suitable candidates.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #275
Paul

Quote:
The problem is, how do I know I'm in a MIB free area? Or maybe my FLGS just isn't worth driving to for a MIB in LA or SB? Or even if I maybe just don't realize that some quiet guy is a MIB? How big an area is a single MIB supposed to cover anyway?
You have over a half dozen MIB in the LA area.

Quote:
A person who would make a good MIB is a person who spends a lot of time on this site.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #276
bonetm

Quote:

You can go to the MIB site. There you can go to the Becoming a MIB section, where you can find the directors for each region. Try to contact the one nearest to you and see if he can help (if he fail to answer, you can mail Control, for coordination (his email is listed on the same page)
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #277
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Pure profit (once the cost of scanning and layout are complete), far as I can tell.
Not completely pure profit -- there are continuing costs associated with keeping a product available . . . small ones, I grant you, but they exist nevertheless.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #278
Palmer

Quote:
Weird. You should try speeding more, or parking illegally. Or just register to vote (or however juries are selected were you live). Personally I pass the courthouses of two counties on daily commute (and two FLGes, but no MIBs). :)
My point being that just because YOU don't see something doesn't mean it's "not effective".

Quote:
With the interwebs? Look I don't know how it works at all and I'm sure I sounded more hostile than I intended to. I apologize. I was just musing that the regional directors ought to know what areas of their regions completely lack MIBs and therefore would know where to direct recruiting efforts. Then they could use these forums (and other places on the webz with obsessed gamers) to find people to fill them.
This is a tricky thing. A senior MIB can be aware that there are no MIB in Smallville... but they can't inherently know that Smallville is actually big enough to warrant an MIB. Even if it seems obvious, there's still the issue of recruiting. Where do they advertise? I live in the 3rd largest city in my country. There's room for several more MIBs. Quite frankly, I wouldn't know where to start advertising... or if I would want random recruits. What recruiting I have done has all been via word of mouth and personal networking.
If an MIB is not being recruited by an existing MIB, then one of the main qualities we look for is being a self-starter... best exemplified by the potential recruit taking action to seek out and approach US.

Quote:
Coverage is variable. The rule is "Whatever's good for you". It's a volunteer gig, you don't have a minimum quota.

Quote:
As Paul said, the best candidates are already here. We want people who REALLY enjoy the games, and those people tend to end up here, if only for rules questions.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #279
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Weird. You should try speeding more, or parking illegally.
My point being that just because YOU don't see something doesn't mean it's "not effective".
Guys, this is starting to sound a bit antagonistic. Please keep it nice.

Quote:
If an MIB is not being recruited by an existing MIB, then one of the main qualities we look for is being a self-starter... best exemplified by the potential recruit taking action to seek out and approach US.
Agreed. The MIB page (www.sjgames.com/mib) has instructions for how to apply to become a MIB. We want people who are proactive, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect potential MIBs to try and find us.

Quote:
It's a volunteer gig, you don't have a minimum quota.
Er, not exactly. I'm not going to go into the detailed rules on a public forum (they're MIB eyes only), but in general, there are rules in place to ensure that a MIB can't just sign up for the program and then go a year without doing any demos/cons/etc., without a very good reason.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #280
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Hey, I'm sorry that I sounded hostile and that I started this tangent. It's not really OT anyway. It's pretty clear that MIBs are out there at least in some areas, and they are doing stuff, so the low numbers for Low-Tech weren't because store owners weren't aware of it but probably because they (correctly) believed they couldn't sell it. I think it is likely that SJGames overestimated the demand (possibly by basing it on it's hype here).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote