Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Astromancer

Default Supernatural Quirks and Perks

Basically small bits of magic that suit even a largely non-magical setting.

Example: Minus -1 to all rolls on Egyptian Days. Basically a limited form of Bad Luck that comes up only rarely.

Another example might be a character who has Charisma plus three, but only to people who've eaten some Tansy in the last 72 hours. The comedy aspects of this should be obvious.

Basically a points worth of good or bad magic.

Note: I added references to make Egyptian Days clearer.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-02-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Astromancer

Default Re: Supernatural Quirks and Perks

Hey I meant for people to add in their own supernatural Quirks and Perks.

Please give it a try.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
David Johnston2

Your eyes turn all black or all red if you use Intimidation or lose your temper. Bonus to Intimidation against normals at the price of exposing some of your nature.

Cats really, really love you. This doesn't mean they'll do what you tell them. They just want you to pet them and let them lie on you.

You have a health bar because you're a video game character brought to life
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

For a cat theme:

If you're in danger unknowingly, and if a cat's within 1000 feet of you, it will make a single yowl alerting you.... unless it's hunting, then of course it's not going to give its position away. ;)

Cats hate you no matter what you do. They won't do anything overtly supernatural. But they will hiss, hide, etc.

Cats will stop whatever they're doing and stare at you for as long as you're nearby. (You think that's normal, but try it and see how they get bored after just a couple of minutes at most.)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Astromancer

Try this set of Quirks, your reflection is wrong. How it is wrong can very, but it can mark you out at bad times.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this set of Quirks, your reflection is wrong. How it is wrong can very, but it can mark you out at bad times.
Having a reflection that doesn't doesn't match you is an example of a Supernatural Feature
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Red eyes, as has been mentioned, are indicative of supernatural power. Here's some more:

When you die, your heart will not putrify. It will always look just as fresh as the day you died.

When you die your corpse will disappear. People who dig up your grave or search for your bones after a fire will find nothing.

You do not have a shadow, or you do not leave tracks. This may be at certain times of day, or certain places.

You have a local reputation for being able to "do things." This is a very vague reputation, neither good nor bad.

Clocks strike, or stop working, when you are near.

Similarly , small items break when you are near -- saws, chisels, hinges, guns misfire, etc.

You do not eat salt, or become sick from eating salt, or it melts when it touches you.

Onions, or garlic, wilt in your presence.

Fires spark up in your presence; embers or smoke may float toward you.

Iron horseshoes, blue paint, nails, or certain types of wooden pegs driven into the door frame, can keep you from entering a house.

You can sour milk or stop butter from forming in a butter churn. Or you can make a cow, or goat, produce milk that has blood in it.

A little silver nearby makes you ill.

You can stop bleeding with a word, or stop a burn from hurting by blowing on it.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't see how what happens to my character's corpse really matters to me or the character.
Covenant Of Rest is unique in that it prevents rising as undead to plague previous allies who may suffer otherwise. So I don't think it's really in the same vein... in case anyone was going to suggest that perk.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Extremely hot hands as in painfully hot but not injuriously so.
(I had a cat that a few times was hot enough to hurt my skin through clothes. My GF also did that once as well. It's a little bit disconcerting when it rises to literal pain levels.)

I suppose in Eastern campaigns it would be indicative of excess Yang and whatever supernatural conditions that suggests.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
malloyd

One I've found fairly useful for this sort of thing are craft tricks that give you an effect that a skilled craftsman could do without magic, but it's easier for you, uses different stuff, skips steps or whatever. For example TL3 smiths might know how to case harden axes (you bake them in a pot full of carbon for hours). You can do it in 5 minutes by rubbing them in red berry juice and singing a hymn to Vulcan. Ordinary spinners need to rot flax for a while and crush it to get out the fibers, you can pull up the plant and spin it directly into linen thread. Skilled herbalists can brew a fever reducing potion from willow bark, you can make the same thing by boiling any green herb at all in not too polluted water.

Tags
perks, quirks