Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #28
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Generally speaking, it's not purely a question of 'can,' but also of 'will.' As noted earlier, 1,000 point or higher characters are very rare, but they do exist, mostly on Earth-2. 500 to 600 point characters are more common, but quite a lot, but most psis are 25 to 50 point characters with 5 points or less of abilities.

The most powerful psis that the average person on Earth-1 or Earth-2 is likely to meet in their lifetime have around 300 to 400 points of psi abilities, and 100 to 200 points of mundane abilities. That's not counting aliens and such.
The problem is Lina Inverse is one of those characters whose powers are more in what she channels. I did a write up of her shortly after 4e came out and she clocked in under 500 points. Philia and Zellos (servants of the Gods and Demons respectively) clock in over 600 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Incidentally, I was thinking that if Paul Van Zandt does not exist in Real Life, he also doesn't exist on Earth-1, but I also think I included a counterpart of his with a slightly different name (Paul Vincent? Peter Vincent?) in the timeline.
If you Google "Paul Van Zandt" you will find dozens of people with that name (some are Paul Vanzandt).

---

I take the tack of it being like those who (apparently) mangle the following into Pasteur discovering Penicillin:

"He had not the precise methods of growing microbes pure—it took the patience of Koch to devise such things—and one day to his disgust, Pasteur observed that a bottle of boiled urine in which he had planted anthrax bacilli was swarming with unbidden guests, contaminating microbes of the air that had sneaked in. The following morning he observed that there were no anthrax germs left at all; they had been completely choked out by the bacilli from the air.

At once Pasteur jumped to a fine idea: “If the harmless bugs from the air choke out the anthrax bacilli in the bottle, they will do it in the body too! It is a kind of dog-eat-dog!” shouted Pasteur, and at once he put Roux and Chamberland to work on the fantastic experiment of giving guinea-pigs anthrax and then shooting doses of billions of harmless microbes into them—beneficent germs which were to chase the anthrax bacilli round the body and devour them—they were to be like the mongoose which kills cobras. . .

Pasteur gravely announced: “That there were high hopes for the cure of disease from this experiment,” but that is the last you hear of it, for Pasteur was never a man to give the world of science the benefit of studying his failures." - Paul de Kruif's (1926) Microbe Hunters

---

You read that and realize that Pasteur could have discovered Penicillin c 1877 if things had been just a little different.

I take the same tack with Paul Van Zandt. Remember parachronics is superscience ie dependent on things that violate physical laws as we understand them. Infinite Worlds hints that that the odd physics that allows parachronics to work is limited to Homeline and Centrum (Reich-5 uses World Jumpers and natural "doorways" between worlds)

Its like Tesla's Beamed Power in our world - it simply doesn't work and it can't work. The closest thing to it that does work is microwave power.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds