Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Kingmaker

Default Infinite Worlds setting question.

A conveyor allows you to jump across parallels. A projector allows you to go between quantum levels, it doesn't come with you, and its a stationairy facility.

Basically my question is how the hell did they ever build a projector on any quantum other than homeline? One way trips with conveyors containing the components to build the projector?

Then I suppose conveyors usually make two jumps within a Quantum, one back to the central projector quantum, then another through the projector?

I'm sure this was covered in the book, but conveyors do not have to land on the same geographical point as they were in the original paralel do they? How about Projectors?

Thanks!
Kingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Infinite Worlds setting question.

Projectors can pull as well as project.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmaker View Post
Basically my question is how the hell did they ever build a projector on any quantum other than homeline? One way trips with conveyors containing the components to build the projector?
That would probably be the way to go. But neither Homeline nor Centrum knows of any other world where projectors work besides those two, so any projectors they did move through to test the limits were probably small technology demonstrators rather than practical transportation.

Quote:
Then I suppose conveyors usually make two jumps within a Quantum, one back to the central projector quantum, then another through the projector?
No, I believe that multi-quantum conveyors can interact with a projector to cross quanta, but they don't have to go back to Homeline to do it.
Quote:
I'm sure this was covered in the book, but conveyors do not have to land on the same geographical point as they were in the original paralel do they? How about Projectors?

Thanks!
I think it's almost always the same geographical point, unless the world is so different that "same" becomes meaningless.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
Kingmaker

Alright guys thanks, I'm reading my way through this absolutely awesome book but it's pretty info heavy.
Kingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
nick012000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
That would probably be the way to go. But neither Homeline nor Centrum knows of any other world where projectors work besides those two, so any projectors they did move through to test the limits were probably small technology demonstrators rather than practical transportation.
There's Shikaku-Mon, though they haven't managed to build one there yet. All those pesky amateur snoopers with their high-tech cameras and spy equipment make doing it in secret difficult, and that means they haven't been able to do it without risking The Secret.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Ego Archive

Is there a reason that they couldn't use a projector to drop another projector in the target line? Not that, that would get around the issue of finding another line that projector's work in, but getting a projector, and a generator to that line shouldn't be a problem.

Of course then your putting alot of risk on "the Secret", but again that is a different issue.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
nick012000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Archive View Post
Is there a reason that they couldn't use a projector to drop another projector in the target line? Not that, that would get around the issue of finding another line that projector's work in, but getting a projector, and a generator to that line shouldn't be a problem.

Of course then your putting alot of risk on "the Secret", but again that is a different issue.
Well, projectors tend to be quite large objects. You'd need a quite large projector to send another projector through.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Ego Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
Well, projectors tend to be quite large objects. You'd need a quite large projector to send another projector through.

According to Infinity Unlimited p.27:

Quote:
A parachronic projector (p. B530)
requires approximately 50 cubic yards
of equipment to project one ton across
the quanta. The equipment costs $50
million per ton of capacity (although
Infinity almost certainly pads those
costs), and weighs approximately one
ton per ton of capacity.
It appears that it can essentially convey an amount equal to it's own size, so if you had a several ton conveyer, transporting a one ton model shouldn't be an issue, unless of course there is a different problem.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Archive
According to Infinity Unlimited p.27:
Quote:
A parachronic projector (p. B530)
requires approximately 50 cubic yards
of equipment to project one ton across
the quanta. The equipment costs $50
million per ton of capacity (although
Infinity almost certainly pads those
costs), and weighs approximately one
ton per ton of capacity.
It appears that it can essentially convey an amount equal to it's own size, so if you had a several ton conveyer, transporting a one ton model shouldn't be an issue, unless of course there is a different problem.
I never thought much about it, but those numbers are kinda wonky... the density of the equipment comes out to something like 2% that of water. I think that it might actually be referring to floor space, so that the units would be 'square yards'. That's still pretty light, but this is cusp of TL9 tech *shrug*
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
MrTim

It's probably meant to be cubic yards, but with open space included. I imagine the actual equipment doesn't take up but a couple of square yards, and the rest is a big space for the projected equipment to sit on.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds