Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Infinite Worlds: Fiction-Based Timelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni...let's do the time warp again. But maybe not with so many knives and bludgeons this time, okay? Check out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni

...for more details. And then run like hell. If you can.
Well of course in Higurashi time is not being reset. Rika is. Even if they figured that the difference between the Higurashi world consists of one exceptionally pretty town having been wiped out in a "freak gas accident", there'd be nothing to do about it, unless they then found another earlier Higurashi world and decided to intervene.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Randyman

From a more musical perspective, I offer http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=235

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well of course in Higurashi time is not being reset. Rika is. Even if they figured that the difference between the Higurashi world consists of one exceptionally pretty town having been wiped out in a "freak gas accident", there'd be nothing to do about it, unless they then found another earlier Higurashi world and decided to intervene.
For Infinite Worlds, maybe the plot would be that the world is being re-set. Instead of Burton, which is on a 40-year cycle, more or less, the Higurashi timeline is on a 40-day cycle, but no one notices...except for a vague sense that something is wrong, summer sure is lasting a long time, etc. The only reason that people from Infinity notice is that they can leave the timeline and when they come back later, they see time is looping...and every time, the same disaster happens in a Japanese town, a couple of days pass, and then time resets again.

As a campaign, this wouldn't work if the characters know the story...they'll simply shoot the person responsible, tell Rika they're "friends," and watch as the timeline heals itself. But a looping timeline puzzle world campaign might work if you come up with some other mystery that needs to be solved...

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
David Johnston2

Well there were like, six other explanations offered over the course of the series, from the natives of the village being actual hybrid part-demons, to a drug syndicate operating out of the village.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Ravenspath

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I did this sort of thing in my campaign Gods and Monsters, but set in 1925. I had, for example, a very aged Sherlock Holmes invite one of the PCs, whom he knew from their studying bartitsu together, to visit with him while his students competed in London's first jiu-jitsu tournament; one of his students turned out to be a young woman who was trying to get her boyfriend Bertie to sign up for lessons ("It would be so good for you, Bertie!"), and so Bertie and his friend Lord Peter showed up at the tournament, accompanied by their valets Jeeves and Bunter. The players loved it, though they never did get all the jokes.

Bill Stoddard
That world could be the one that would actually get my wife to game. We love Jeeves & Wooster as well as Lord Peter. Campion is just a bit later I believe otherwise would make a good addition as well!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Campion was born in 1900, and his first story takes place in 1929.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #17
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron64 View Post
Here's a fun little idea I just thought of, which fictional characters could you see being recruited by ISWAT?
Fingolfin. Be afraid.

MacGuyver.

Michael Westen.

Last edited by Agemegos; 11-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Raistlin, be very VERY afraid.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Sir Percy Blakeney, without a doubt.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #20
Hans Rancke-Madsen

What are ISWAT's recruitment criteria?

I was in a discussion about later Leagues of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I remember suggesting Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin as field commanders and the Duke of Denver (i.e. Peter Whimsey) as M. (That would have been for the 1970s).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds