Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

View Poll Results: Who goes first?
RAW say Halberd 11 57.89%
RAW say Horse Bow 3 15.79%
RAW say Halberd, but I rule Horse Bow 5 26.32%
RAW say Horse Bow, but I rule Halberd 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
MikMod

Default Re: YOU'RE the GM: the last chance archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
You can, once, with the "On-Last-Shot Missile Attack" option. It comes after pole weapon charges. The wording on ITL 111 is quite clear that these pole weapon attacks are resolved before all other attacks in that particular melee. Further, the description of last-shot missile attacks in no way implies that the archer would attack out of DX order, never mind acting before a pole weapon.
1) Nowhere does it ever say an engaged missile user can fire. I've never allowed this and I'm pretty sure that is RAW isn't it?

2) The justification for why the pole weapon user goes first is based very clearly on weapon length, and the effective length of missile weapons is of course greater.

3) The wording for ONE-LAST-SHOT clearly says 'release an arrow at a charging enemy' - not one who has finished charging and hit you already! Clearly, to me at least, this happens before the attacker closes with you. This totally implies it happens before usual attacks are resolved, otherwise it isn't one last shot at all is it - it's just a normal shot after you get engaged and possibly killed, so maybe no shot at all!

4) Nowhere does it explicitly say that pole weapon should beat one-last-shot.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
Shostak

Since the One-Last-Shot Missile Attack is an option for engaged figures, it logically follows that it is possible for an engaged figure to make a missile weapon attack, albeit a final one.

Since the rules do say that pole weapon charges are resolved prior to all other attacks, and One-Last-Shot Missile Attack does not say that it trumps pole charges, I think any interpretation that the missile attack would occur at any privileged time very liberal. But, hey, it's your table, so it's your call.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
larsdangly

Attacks never happen in the midst of the movement phase, so I don't think there is any basis for a ruling that considers the missile user firing as the charging attacker moves through several hexes prior to reaching engaged range. I understand that it is our physical intuition that you could loose an arrow at a target as it runs toward you (i.e., during movement phase), but nothing in the rules permits it.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #14
MikMod

Okay guys - you convinced me! :)

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Attacks never happen in the midst of the movement phase, so I don't think there is any basis for a ruling that considers the missile user firing as the charging attacker moves through several hexes prior to reaching engaged range. I understand that it is our physical intuition that you could loose an arrow at a target as it runs toward you (i.e., during movement phase), but nothing in the rules permits it.
Actually that's a good point. A target could move across the board and behind cover in his movement phase and there's nothing an archer can do about it as all firing is done after movement.

I guess I'll just go with RAW and have the archer fire after the charge. If he survives. The poor bugger can't even defend as the bow doesn't count as a ready weapon as far as the Defence option is concerned. 😬😬
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Actually that's a good point. A target could move across the board and behind cover in his movement phase and there's nothing an archer can do about it as all firing is done after movement.

I guess I'll just go with RAW and have the archer fire after the charge. If he survives. The poor bugger can't even defend as the bow doesn't count as a ready weapon as far as the Defence option is concerned. 😬😬
The rules say you can use a bow to defend, it just gets trashed. Unfortunately the one last shot action means you drop your bow...
Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
MikMod

Also, just to be picky, HTH 'attacks' can get resolved in the movement phase, so not all 'actions' happen after movement... ;)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #18
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I think Skarg had a house rule for that, where if you spend a turn aiming up then if someone breaks cover and your ready for them you DO get to fire at them. Which sounds sensible.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #19
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Also, just to be picky, HTH 'attacks' can get resolved in the movement phase, so not all 'actions' happen after movement... ;)
Entering HTH happens during movement, but the attacks don't (except, the case of a 6 on the roll resolving the attempt to enter HTH).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #20
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
The rules say you can use a bow to defend, it just gets trashed. Unfortunately the one last shot action means you drop your bow...
What rules? Melee p.20 "a figure may only Defend with a non missile weapon ready..."

Maybe ITL says something different but I'm working from Melee at present.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote