Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

While I never (even subconciously) equated the Thorsz with the Invincible Overlord, I have, quite successfully, run TFT in the Wilderlands. And I'd like to do it again. Fortunately, over on Drivethru, you can get new copies of the first two sets of Wilderlands maps, complete with the same kinds of descriptions that accompanied them back when Judges Guild first did them, courtesy of Robert Conley. The remaining two sets of maps will follow in due course, with Rob recently stating that the third set was due out shortly.

Anyway, getting back to your post, I think that's positively brilliant, and only wish I'd thought of making that connection! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
While I never (even subconciously) equated the Thorsz with the Invincible Overlord, I have, quite successfully, run TFT in the Wilderlands. And I'd like to do it again. Fortunately, over on Drivethru, you can get new copies of the first two sets of Wilderlands maps, complete with the same kinds of descriptions that accompanied them back when Judges Guild first did them, courtesy of Robert Conley. The remaining two sets of maps will follow in due course, with Rob recently stating that the third set was due out shortly.

Anyway, getting back to your post, I think that's positively brilliant, and only wish I'd thought of making that connection! ;-)
Markab can be remapped as Mnoren, too - although the Markab existed a long, long time ago in Wilderlands lore, so it's not as good a fit. Plenty of tech artifacts in various modules. Earth mythology..... Very well suited for Cidri in my opinion.

I have all of Robert Conley's map sets that are currently released (as well as most of the original JG maps). They're very well done.

His adventure "Scourge of the Demon Wolf", while it needs some adjustment for number of foes, would work *really* well as a TFT adventure. I'd love to see an official conversion. I'd buy it again.

Last edited by malchidael; 03-29-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: I mis-typed Cidri. Sheesh!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:35 PM   #13
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

You know, Rob's a member of this forum -- suggest it to him (his "handle" is robertsconley), and he might even be interested in doing it!

If you backed the CSIO Bob Bledsaw the III fiasco, there is a download over there where you can get an interactive map of the City State, which has all the entries from the book (the original one, anyway), plus a few new ones on it. You might find that useful! I doubt we'll ever see the promised rewards from that Kickstarter, but Robert has certainly done his level best to give us SOMETHING out of it.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

I did not back that Judges Guild kickstarter (thankfully), but I have followed the drama.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
I did not back that Judges Guild kickstarter (thankfully), but I have followed the drama.
It's a sad reflection on reality that every single one of the scions of the original greats has failed in a Kickstarter, usually without delivering anything for the money. Ah well, call it a lesson learned the hard way, I guess... :-)

It's worth noting, however, that when Frog God Games does a "Judges Guild" kickstarter, they deliver top quality production and generally do it pretty close to the scheduled time (barring printer issues). I've gotten some top-quality prints of those classic JG adventures with much higher production standards than the originals had.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #16
Original_Carl
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

May I have a pronunciation guide for Ardonirane?
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #17
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Carl View Post
May I have a pronunciation guide for Ardonirane?
We always pronounced it "r-DON-a-rain." But that's just my old group...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:54 AM   #18
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
We always pronounced it "r-DON-a-rain." But that's just my old group...
I've pronounced it "r-DON-ih-rain". Then again, I mis-pronounce a lot of things.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
I've pronounced it "r-DON-ih-rain". Then again, I mis-pronounce a lot of things.
I think it's a distinction without a difference -- if you pronounce them both quickly, they are pretty close to the same, and, in fact, I like your "phoneticism" better since it actually more closely matches our real pronunciation!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #20
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: Speculations about Ardonirane & the Thorsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I think it's a distinction without a difference -- if you pronounce them both quickly, they are pretty close to the same, and, in fact, I like your "phoneticism" better since it actually more closely matches our real pronunciation!
Yes, you are correct - there really is no difference. I was woken up at 2AM to support our IT systems, and by 3AM, I was in a rather silly mood. I probably should have added a smiley to show that, but it was almost 3AM.

Tonight will be better. I just don't get to go to sleep until 3AM. No risk of being woken up from a deep sleep tonight!

I hate "hypercare".....

If I'm lucky, though, I'll get some solo TFT time in once the family goes to sleep.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ardonirane, death test, gold, orbs, thorsz

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.