Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #41
Shostak

Default Re: Melee/Wizard newbie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
And I think that a GM should disallow the use by a mage of an illusion to cast a spell the wizard doesn't know.
So, no illusion of a warrior or wolf if you don't already know Summon Myrmidon or Summon Wolf? My groups have never played that way.

As for the fire elemental, if it believes the illusion, its movement might be manipulated.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #42
Shostak

Exactly so. But that's only if a Magic Rainstorm illusion is permissible in the first place.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #43
tomc

For us, the GM would always rule on illusions on a case by case basis, to the frustration of some of the players. Of course, this meant out world was not consistent. At least, not in a way apparent to the players. They eventually got comfortable with the idea that there weren't many hard and fast rules in the world.

If you let them, illusions become the generic universal creation spell. Now that could be fun in a world where illusions can do just about anything, and lots of non-wizards also know it as their only spell. But it wouldn't feel like traditional TFT.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #44
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I suppose it raises the quandary of if a figure can "choose to believe" an illusion when all reason should tell them otherwise.

Sure, you can create an illusion of a Physicker the figure knows, but why would the figure not disbelieve the illusion, wondering why is "Doctor Bob" here in the first place.
If active belief (rather than an absence of disbelief) is required, surely there'd be ways to contrive it or at least attempt to contrive that belief.

Elmer is down and bleeding out, his friends gathered around him wishing they knew what to do with the spare Physicker Kit. "Is this the tourniquet?" cries Aidan. "I think so," says Felder, "does it go around the neck?" "Crom no!" shouts Fiona, "that would kill him! It goes below the wound!" Gregor rumbles "No no no! It goes above the wound! Don't you know anything? I wish Doctor Bob was here!"

"Back everyone!" yells the wizard Yamadra. "Make room! I will summon Doctor Bob!"

"What? You can do that Yamadra? How in the World can you do that?"

"Why with this magic ring you see on my 3rd finger," says Yamadra waving his hand out. "I've been saving it for just such an emergency. It may not work but I can try -- back everyone!"

Yamadra waves his hands, flourishes his staff, taps the ring, and mumbles much gobbledyguk. He is actually casting a one hex illusion to look like Doctor Bob, but no one realizes that. He ads a puff of smoke for dramatic effect and poof! What appears to be the good Doctor everyone remembers is suddenly standing next to the bleeding Elmer. "Quick Bob, do something!" cries Yamadra as he hands the illusion the Physickers Kit.

"Wow," says Aidan, "can he..." But "Hush!" yells Yamadra, "Doctor Bob cannot speak during the Summoning trance -- do nothing to disturb him!"

Methodically, the apparent Doctor Bob staunches Elmer's wounds, arrests the bleeding, puts the correct salve on the wound, and wraps the bandages. How? Because the illusion of a know person has the talents of that person. And every minute (which happens to be 12 turns) Yamadra mumbles some more magic words to renew the spell -- the actual spell, not the one his friends were lead to believe he was casting.

After 5 minutes the wizard lets out a sigh of relief, and Doctor Bob vanishes into thin air. "He has returned to his village," says Yamadra as he drops to sit on the ground. "Gadzooks, I need a nap. Summoning spells are hard even with a magic ring."

Fiona points at Elmer, "Look, he's opened his eyes! I think he's going to be alright! All praise Doctor Bob! What a guy!"

"Yeah, whatever" says the exhausted wizard.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #45
Skarg

If you need a placebo from an illusionary physicker, maybe.

Otherwise... the illusion can look like a known physicker, but it's not going to really have physicker skills, just like it can't tell you what his mom told him on his 5th birthday. It doesn't have the physicker's _actual_ knowledge just because you believe the person is there - you're wrong. The talent is missing.

If your body has the ability to heal by belief, then maybe it can work, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, even if an illusionary physicker told you to.

That's more than enough reason for me to say no, but also the point David (?) mentioned about how the illusion can't really affect physical things nor split, so it's not going to use your real physicker's kit, and its illusionary kit can't really be taken apart or used to stitch you. Can't apply salve, water, bandages, tourniquets, can't remove an arrow, can't disinfect. Can't do much at all, except maybe fool you a bit.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote