Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #41
Barliman

Default Re: TFT Beastiary Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Regarding "challenge ratings," I'm generally against them. They are a mechanism that is purely meta and should be avoided as much as possible. (snip)
I wish these boards had a "like" button.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #42
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Do all creations have the IQ 7 weapons talents, zombies included, or just those zombies under a wizard's control? And does the wizard need to know Sword?
Good questions. They seem to all be able to use weapons, albeit at a reduced DX compared to when they were alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can we just assume that all 7+ hex dragons know Unarmed Combat V or are some of them alchemists?
No, but I do think it's fun/interesting to personalize dragons and give them talents. And I think the claw damage for dragons seems really low for their size, so yeah I think many would know some draconian fighting skills, equivalents of brawling or dragon fu. Also maybe Toughness, thrown weapons, running, climbing, swimming, flying?, aerobatics? . . .
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #43
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
No, but I do think it's fun/interesting to personalize dragons and give them talents. And I think the claw damage for dragons seems really low for their size, so yeah I think many would know some draconian fighting skills, equivalents of brawling or dragon fu. Also maybe Toughness, thrown weapons, running, climbing, swimming, flying?, aerobatics? . . .
It always bothered me that dragons can't be wizards and don't get spells. I get that with their high ST, it would make nearly impossible to defeat, but it's one of those things that goes along with how I imagine them. Maybe the Mnoren had to breed magic out of dragons to keep them from conquering Cidri.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #44
Terquem

Maybe Dragons do know spells

They just don't see the charm in using them
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #45
larsdangly

I regularly give dragons interesting talents and spells. I understand its not RAW but I don't care. Same with demons.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #46
hcobb

Either let dragons cast reverse missiles or watch in horror as they're harvested to extinction by crossbowmen to make Youth potions.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #47
Skarg

I didn't tend to let dragons use spells, but I did assume that the 7+ hex dragons were quite clever and had lived a long time, implying they would tend to have thought a lot about good ways to survive and learned not to do things that would get them killed. And thinking about that led me to think that they'd probably try to accumulate as many magic items as they could, since they can use most of those, and what their most desired enchantments would be. And that ones that were smart and had lived long enough to grow to those sizes (which I assumed took many years and involved many hostile encounters), would likely have succeeded and figured out how to trade for the items they really wanted, such as by manipulating humanoids into acting as their agents without revealing who the ultimate customer is.

However I agree that it would be fine and interesting to let dragons use spells.

I don't think they would be undefeatable - no more than a wizard with sources of extra ST is undefeatable (apprentices, powerstones, staffs), but it would make them rather more powerful.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #48
TippetsTX

So circling back to the original topic, guidelines for fleshing out certain creatures would be useful as would a bit more detail on how they fit into the world of Cidri. A little fluff never hurts.

For example, it would be cool to have more info on Octopi society, goals and equipment.