Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
white33

Default Healing blood for Vampires, Angels and such.

How should i go about crafting an advantage to mimic the "healing blood" effects so frequent in fantasy stories, using RAW. Here are the guidelines and what i have come up with so far:
  • This is an inherent blood trait and the character has no control over it, making it's blood a much coveted substance(Aura+Melee+Always on +30% ???)
  • The character must bleed and lose HP to use this effect (Reverse Blood agent -40%)
  • The characterīs blood must be consumed or the reach target's bloodstream (Regular Blood agent -40%)
  • The blood is able to heal wounds, counter diseases restore health and the functions of impaired or crippled body parts(as per Restoration spell), but not cause lost parts to regrow, someone long paraplegic or suffering from a degenerative could recover all body functions, this effects should be progressive and not work necessarily fast, initial consumption/transfusion should work as little more than first aid/stop bleeding, perhaps several dosages over time might be necessary(Affliction+Regeneration? Extended Duration? Healing? How would one even go about making the Restoration spell with advantages? is Regeneration supposed to cover this effect?)
  • The blood should be able to maintain these properties after extracted, at least for a while(until it dries?)(???)
  • Finally, the effects are proportional to the amount of blood used, the more blood the larger/faster/better the effects(Costs HP plus a feature??? No idea here...)

One more thing is, as to prevent characters from becoming healing machines or buying/selling this blood, iīd like to couple this with an Obsession or Compulsion: "Never willingly part with one's own blood"; Which trait should i use for this and which should be it's base cost?

It should be noted that this trait is quite common in fiction, most blood drinking vampires have it, itīs extensively shown in "World of Darkness", "True Blood", etc. the character Angel from the X-men has it, as do many other fictional divine types.
white33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
ham2anv

Default Re: Healing blood for Vampires, Angels and such.

Something like this might be helpful to you. Also see the discussion in the original thread for an alternative method.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
aesir23

I did this as an optional power up with my home brew vampire template, except it was voluntary.

I used Healing + Blood Agent + Costs HP + Backlash (Ecstacy)

Of course it was linked to Mind Control (conditioning only) and Affliction (Euphoria) with the secondary effect of Addiction, so there was an inherent risk in letting a vampire heal you.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
white33

Thanks for the replies.
Neither of these seem to cover what i asked though.

Do regular and reverse Blood Agent stack?
Does giving someone Regeneration restores the use of long crippled limbs and such? If not, how to reproduce the Restoration spell?
What of the psychological trait to go with it?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by white33 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Neither of these seem to cover what i asked though.

Not in this case. Blood Agent is a penetration modifier, and Healing is not an attack.

Quote:
Does giving someone Regeneration restores the use of long crippled limbs and such?
No, that would be Regrowth with a limitation. Or you could just use Healing which already has the ability to restore function to a crippled but whole limb.

Quote:
If not, how to reproduce the Restoration spell?
Instead I'd go with making it a racial Secret
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I don't think so, the text in both entries indicate they are kind of mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Does giving someone Regeneration restores the use of long crippled limbs and such? If not, how to reproduce the Restoration spell?
I would say it does, but they would need to keep the Regen long enough to heal it as it would at the new rate. But not lost limbs of course.

Quote:
I would use Temporary Disadvantage (Vow: Never part with blood unwillingly) at say -5%

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
white33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Not in this case. Blood Agent is a penetration modifier, and Healing is not an attack.

No, that would be Regrowth with a limitation. Or you could just use Healing which already has the ability to restore function to a crippled but whole limb.

Instead I'd go with making it a racial Secret
Did you read the whole original post? Iīm asking questions, not even suggesting the use of healing.

Healing only works as restoration by recovering parts crippled by damage and only by healing the damage that caused the crippling, which would mean it can only recover a crippled part shortly after the damage is made, not after the person has "recovered", as itīs written you could not use it to, for instance, "heal" Stephen Hawking and restore his physical capabilities to those of a normal person(although this particular effect would not get rid of the disease that causes the generation).

racial secret doesn't work at all here.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
white33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I don't think so, the text in both entries indicate they are kind of mutually exclusive.

I would say it does, but they would need to keep the Regen long enough to heal it as it would at the new rate. But not lost limbs of course.

I would use Temporary Disadvantage (Vow: Never part with blood unwillingly) at say -5%

Ghostdancer
I donīt get the impression reverse/regular blood agent are mutually exclusive by reading their respective descriptions at all, which is why i ask the question; I've also seen many templates using both, but i still don't know it itīs supposed to be allowed. Remember though, that in this context, the character must both bleed himself(reverse) and cause his blood to reach a targetīs own bloodstream(regular), simply bleeding over someone would do nothing.

The psychological disadvantage is a separate trait and not temporary. A character with healing blood could make fortunes with it or heal his friends and allies almost indiscriminately if it found a way to replenish it, but in this case he should have a sort of "mental block" that would prevent him from parting from it's own blood; For instance, a Vampire who is instinctively overprotective of itīs own blood and would have extreme difficulty parting with any amount of it, like a hungry dog with a bone, only worse.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
RedMattis

I don't think Blood Agent is quite appropriate (since healing isn't an attack), but what you described is indeed a nuisance.

Having to cut yourself is rather dangerous, -10%
Needing the blood to either come into contact with the victims bloodstream, or be swallowed is quite disturbing to the victim (and observers), quite easy to stop, and giving blood to an unconscious and/or armoured subject could be troublesome, -25% (Reaction -3 (worse or better depending on the observer))
The entire process of cutting yourself and letting a victim drink (or injecting the blood into them) takes at least a few seconds at best, not exactly mid-combat-useful, I'd peg it at, -40% based on Takes extra time.
(I'll sum these three up as Blood Healing, -55%)
Curing any disease is theoretically possible for vanilla healing, but with penalties up at -15 for the worst you'd need either tons of reliable or a special enhancement. I'd write up being able to always heal all diseases as reliable 8 (diseases only, -40%), +24%, in combination with the below to reach the desired effect:
Healing without needing to make an IQ roll makes sense for this kind of ability. This is "No Roll Required, +100%"
Blood being extractable is disadvantageous and advantageous since it can be abused by less than benevolent people. In general it is to the character's advantage though since they are more able to control it. I'd make it a +5% modifier if it only lasts for a day or two.
Healing costing HP instead of FP is less disadvantageous than empathic, but worse than vanilla Healing. A -20% limitation seems suitable based on the "cost HP" limitation.
To Reduce the FP (HP) cost further I'd use Reduced Fatigue Point Cost with the accessibility limitation (Only affects half the spent hp, -20%), making it cut the cost by 2 up to the limits of the levels of Reduced Fatigue Point Cost (16%/level)

So, here goes the write-up:
- - - - -

Blood Healing
94 points
You can cut yourself and feed another living being your blood orally or directly into their bloodstream to heal them, and heal them 2 hp per hp spent automatically. The first time you use this ability on a person per day the cost of the first 20 hp healed is cut by half
You can also heal diseases with your blood. This costs 1 Hp per point of penalty inherit in the disease as per B58. The first 10 points of penalty have their cost cut by half. You need not make a roll, and will heal any disease as long as the subject is given enough blood.
You can force a subject to ingest you blood
Write-up:
Healing (Blood Healing, -55%; Extractable Blood, +5%; No Roll Required, +100%; Reduced FP Cost 5, +80%; Reliable 8 (Diseases Only), +24%; Uses HP instead of FP, -20%; Xenohealing (anything alive), +80%)

Power-Down
If you wish to make a roll, I'd suggest just removing No Roll Required. Shifting the attribute to HT for free seems fair since the healing is basically done by a variant of blood agent. In this case it would be required for the user (or the subject, chose when you create the ability) to succeed with a HT roll. The cost would be reduced to 64. (definitely not RAW-Legal, but hardly abusable)
Nuisance effects or back-lash are also suitable for the ability. Perhaps failing the HT roll is risky for the victim, making the healer less efficient, especially around low HT people.

Last edited by RedMattis; 11-29-2009 at 05:41 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Did you read the whole original post? Iīm asking questions, not even suggesting the use of healing.
It doesn't make a difference. Blood agent isn't a disadvantage for a beneficial affliction either. Healing is, however, a rather good way to heal people.

Quote:
racial secret doesn't work at all here.
It accomplishes the goal of giving the player a reason not to cash in on his healing blood and it arises naturally out of the ability rather than being arbitrary (since the creatures don't want to be captured and milked).
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote