Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Lord Schnibb

Default 'Eden' Campaign Idea

Thanks to Gudiomen for this idea.

The characters wake up on a hill. They have no memory of anything but still share a common langauge. Their aparrent task is to survive. Over time new NPCs come into the world. They start building up civilazation (by whatever means.) The game takes place over generations and the players create new characters as their character's descendants. Though the players can work together, they do not have to.

The characters will be built of 75 points and have no skills when the game starts. They will, however, be able to learn them. They will have access to no technology above TL 0, as well as no knowledge of things like fire.

The PCs will be given different divine taskes determined by their personalities, they will stake out territories and choose patron animals, and do things like that. Eventually one of them should come to be dominant, and then I can throw in some outside threat to topple the order of things.

Has anyone had any experiance running games like this? Its a little different from what I'm used to and I'd like some advice.
Lord Schnibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Fnordianslip

Default Re: 'Eden' Campaign Idea

Hmmm, you know, if you can get a copy of GURPS Riverworld, that might be a good starting point. It has some twists and turns that you could use to great effect. As long as you don't make it obvious to your group that that's what you're basing it on. Long story short, aliens trap the souls of every human being from prehistoric times to the present. They are then reactivated in clones on a giant planet with mountainous slopes and a long winding river covering the sphere. Basically, it was designed to give humans a second chance at living life and getting to paradise. The difference here is that they all got back up with memories in tact. Your take would be really fun as well. Especially if you slowly had memories leak back into the people as they rebuild the world.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Lord Schnibb

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. I already have a PC with Lecheroussness, Atrractive, and Combat Reflexes. His strategy (obviously) is to steal the other PC's women so his clan will be the largest.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Seamonster

I am currently running a fantasy game with some similarities. All five characters woke up in a desert with almost no memories of who they are. Each character has 2 to 4 memories or remembered feelings that help them piece together who they are and why they cannot remember anything else. Also, each player got to choose one memory/feeling for their character that I have had to incorporate into the story.

It has been a blast! Unfortunately, I am using a different system, so it might not help you much.
Seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Blood Legend

If you have some mighty creative players that could definitly be a lot of fun. I can already see myself inventing fire.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Razgovory

If they were divinely created then it might make sense if their basic stats are very high. After all a God doesn't want to create mediocre humans. Since they would be "cultural heroes" other nifty advantages might be handy like longevity and resistance to disease. This is common to lots of mythologies.
Razgovory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Lord Schnibb

Two of them took Immunity to Disease because of the obvious risk and most have a stat over 13. I started the other day. One PC is a mute Gadgeteer with IQ 15. He invented fire but was mauled by the same bear twice when he returned to the place of the original attack. A strong PC killed the bear with a club, though. Its been going good.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
Razgovory

So long as you and your group has fun then it works fine.
Razgovory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Blood Legend

Mauled me once, shame on you....Maul me twice...WTFH@XROFFLEBBQ -splat-

How did he get mauled TWICE by the same Bear?!

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
Lord Schnibb

@ Bloodlegend: He was gathering berries went the bear attacked him. He ran away but got hammered. When he woke up hungery, he crawled back to the berries to eat them. The bear, of course, had returned to continue eating them. It remembered him and attacked again.