Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #41
Edges

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#38): Dark Vision, Night Vision

In most of my campaigns, I use a house rule for the pricing of Night Vision. It costs 1/level in ultra-tech campaigns, 2/level in high-tech, and 3/level in low-tech.

It has worked well.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #42
Anthony

I generally figure that both realistic near-IR vision and realistic near-UV vision are perks, though arguably NIR should be slightly more -- its roughly:
  • Can use an IR flashlight.
  • Night Vision 1, when primary light source is incandescent or similar medium temperature thermal. Does not work underwater.
  • Night vision 2, when primary light source is flames or similar low temperature thermal. Does not work underwater.
The night vision is because both light sources have emissions peaks in the IR, and are therefore brighter in IR than visible light. UV vision is a perk, it has no useful effects other than the ability to use UV flashlights (GURPS UV vision is completely dissociated with reality).

Last edited by Anthony; 04-02-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I generally figure that both realistic near-IR vision and realistic near-UV vision are perks, though arguably NIR should be slightly more -- its roughly:
  • Can use an IR flashlight.
  • Night Vision 1, when primary light source is incandescent or similar medium temperature thermal. Does not work underwater.
  • Night vision 2, when primary light source is flames or similar low temperature thermal. Does not work underwater.
The night vision is because both light sources have emissions peaks in the IR, and are therefore brighter in IR than visible light. UV vision is a perk, it has no useful effects other than the ability to use UV flashlights (GURPS UV vision is completely dissociated with reality).
I have to grant that that's not terribly implausible. I already provided that having NIR Vision without Visible Light Vision was 0 points.

However, there are Websites that talk about fish that can see in the NIR. There's even a crazy biohacking proposal to modify human eyes to see NIR! How does that affect your analysis?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #44
Bruno

I'd want to hear more about how they define "can see into the NIR" - humans can see into the near ultraviolet range naturally, we just have this inconvenient lens in the way that blocks UV light. Some fish having the same "capability" to see NIR despite living in a medium that completely blocks it isn't any more weird.

There's really no question that water blocks NIR, if that's what you were talking about.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how that would impact the cost of the advantage...? Whether unmodified humans or animals can get something doesn't normally factor into its point cost.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #45
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's really no question that water blocks NIR, if that's what you were talking about.
There are researchers who seem to disagree with you; see for example http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0064429, which says that "In turbid waters, in contrast, the relative content of red and NIR radiation is enhanced, due to increased scattering and absorption of short and middle range wavelengths by suspended particles and dissolved colored materials. . . . NIR vision, as an integral part of the whole spectrum of visual abilities, can serve as an evolutionarily adaptable trait in fish." Another article claims that salmon have an enzyme, Cyp27c1, that switches their peak spectral sensitivity into the NIR to help them swim through murky waters.

These reports seem to describe fish that swim in shallow waters. Perhaps water limiting the transmission of NIR doesn't eliminate it entirely at those depts? After all, water is opaque to much of the visible spectrum as well.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #46
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
However, there are Websites that talk about fish that can see in the NIR. There's even a crazy biohacking proposal to modify human eyes to see NIR! How does that affect your analysis?
Well, at certain particle sizes NIR penetrates better than visible light, though for underwater that seems unlikely to apply unless water is very shallow and ranges are very short (conversely, haze is worse in the UV). These effects are probably below reasonable GURPS resolution.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think the NIR sensitive cichlids live within a few inches of the surface.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #48
Captain Joy

In a Supers game, my character has Roach Powers, which includes Dark Vision.

Question: if I wear a full-face helmet with an opaque visor that completely protects my face and eyes, can I still "see" using my Dark Vision?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #49
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
In a Supers game, my character has Roach Powers, which includes Dark Vision.

Question: if I wear a full-face helmet with an opaque visor that completely protects my face and eyes, can I still "see" using my Dark Vision?
Not unless it's enhanced in some other way. Penetrating Vision 1 (only things I'm wearing on my head) is pretty cheap. You should probably have vibration sense or scanning sense, not dark vision, though.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #50
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Not unless it's enhanced in some other way. Penetrating Vision 1 (only things I'm wearing on my head) is pretty cheap. You should probably have vibration sense or scanning sense, not dark vision, though.
Ah yes; it makes sense now. Neither would I be able to see through a dense fog, correct? I.e. Dark Vision allows me to see when there is limited or no illumination, but grants no ability to see through anything that blocks light.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, dark vision, night vision, vision, [basic]