Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Collective_Restraint

Default How does a Jet work ?

I know that in the Basic Set it states that Jet is considered like a melee weapon and therefore Acc and range modifiers don't apply. Suppose a Jet of 1/2: 5 Max: 10; will it affect everybody in the Jet area or it will strike the first one in that line ? If it affects everyone, do I simply attack the first one and if that person dodges I use the scattering rules ? I was trying to find info on it on the forums but unfortunately, the forum search engine doesn't allow searches on words of 3 characters or less and so I couldn't find anything on jet :)
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: How does a Jet work ?

Jet simply turns your Innate Attack into a 10-yard melee weapon that cannot parry or be parried, and that inflicts only half damage past five yards. It's +0%, despite pathetic range, because it lets you Feint, use AOA (Double) from a safe distance, make a Rapid Strike, etc. It's worth more than Melee Attack because, relative to that modifier, it gives spectacular Reach and can't normally be parried. There's no assumption of being able to strike multiple targets unless you use AOA (Double) or Rapid Strike, but note that High-Tech allows AOA (Jet) for flamethrowers, and this lets you engage lots of foes at a cost in damage.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
RedMattis

Can you also use All out Attack Strong and similar options with Jet?
Exactly what is allowed?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

You can use any option that works with a melee attack. It's a melee weapon, in every sense. It just can't parry (but then, neither can some melee weapons).
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Collective_Restraint

Thanks a lot for your quick answers ! Very appreciated !
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
You can use any option that works with a melee attack. It's a melee weapon, in every sense. It just can't parry (but then, neither can some melee weapons).
Uh, that wording seems to imply that it includes AoA (Strong), which is pretty weird, say, for flamethrowers, which are Jets too. Especially when we're talking about equipment-flamethrowers, not Powers.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh

Uh, that wording seems to imply that it includes AoA (Strong), which is pretty weird, say, for flamethrowers, which are Jets too. Especially when we're talking about equipment-flamethrowers, not Powers.
If you stand there and carefully hold the flame on target for a full second instead of dodging enemy attacks, you'll almost certainly do more damage with a flamethrower. It really makes no less sense than AOA (Determined) giving +1 to hit and thus letting you put more pellets or bullets on target.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Der Wanderer

Quote:
It just can't parry (but then, neither can some melee weapons).
Whoa... never realized that, always treated it as melee attack...
- Is it legal then to combine it with Melee:ST-Based (for a ranged punch)
- What would be an appropriate Enhancement for it to be capable of parring?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
If you stand there and carefully hold the flame on target for a full second instead of dodging enemy attacks, you'll almost certainly do more damage with a flamethrower. It really makes no less sense than AOA (Determined) giving +1 to hit and thus letting you put more pellets or bullets on target.
I like your logic, but then AoA (Determined) should also influence damage, because it (by being more accurate, resulting in a bigger Margin of Success etc.) should logically improve on-target time/dosage.

Yeah, I know it's an abstraction.

Still, this inspired a new Manoeuvre variant: All-Out Attack (Jet-on-Target), which provides +2 to hit and +1 to damage (or +1/two dice if better).
Old 11-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Icelander

I want to create a version of the [name] Jet spells that is composed of pure magical force. Ideally, it would be able to parry enemy attacks (by briefly becoming more substantial), but enemies still could not parry it.

I'm using the Modifiers rules for Innate Attack to ballpark the power level and I plan to either include extra limitations to bring it in line with Flame Jet et al or to increase the cost per dice, if necessary. At any rate, before I decide how much damage per 1 FP buys, I want to know how much more expensive such an Innate Attack would be than the one that forms the basis for the other Jet spells.

If it was a Melee Attack, I could simply remove the -5% for Cannot Parry, but Jet is noted as specifically incompatible with the Melee Attac limitation. Is the 'Cannot Parry' part of it effectively an independent limitation and I can remove it from Jet without compunction, or would the ability to be able to Parry while your opponent cannot parry your weapon be worth much more than +5%?

Also, I was wondering about Jets that destroyed enemy weapons, instead of being simply impervious to Parries. There is an enchancement for Melee Weapon that does that, but I cannot legally use it for Jets. Is it kosher to use the same value with Jet?