Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
vierasmarius

Default Re: Feint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr1337 View Post
Yes, but any foe on story will give a All-Out Attack and he always have a level of ability much more of your.

Feint become a "luxury maneuver", don't is a "effective maneuver".
This I don't really get. Are you saying that NPCs in your game only ever attack All-Out? In that case, yeah, Feint is useless. But it's not because of Feint, but because of poor tactical choices on the part of the NPCs.

Are you saying that they always AOA in response to a successful Feint? The first thing that's wrong with that is that a Feint shouldn't always (or often) be obvious. But even then, it's not so bad; instead of them defending at a penalty, they now can't defend at all, and you can lay into them with a Telegraphic attack.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
vierasmarius

Quote:
Wait... Can I use "Rapid Strike" and make a feint and a attack?
You can, but with -6 to the Feint and the Attack it's generally self defeating, when compared to the Deceptive Attack option. It's more useful for Weapon Masters, who only have a -3 penalty for Rapid Strikes, and can train Dual-Weapon Attack to have no penalty for two attacks. Training in DWA + Feint is a potent combination.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Dual-Weapon Attack to have no penalty for two attacks. Training in DWA + Feint is a potent combination.
I do not believe Weapon Master is required to train in those two Techniques...it is often done that way and is a strong combo (Weapon Master+DWA+Feint)...but IIRC you can just train DWA+Feint.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
spqr1337

Thank You vierasmarius.

By the way, thank all of you.

Somebody can explain me what is the difference of "feint" and "Deceptive attack"?
spqr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
I do not believe Weapon Master is required to train in those two Techniques...it is often done that way and is a strong combo (Weapon Master+DWA+Feint)...but IIRC you can just train DWA+Feint.
Dual Weapon Attack is a cinematic technique, so you normally need WM or TbaM to train in it. However, several realistic styles include an Unusual Training perk that allows DWA training, limited to attacking a single target. So for the purpose of DWA+Feint, that would certainly be sufficient.

Quote:
Thank You vierasmarius.

Somebody can explain me what is the difference of "feint" and "Deceptive attack"?
"Feint" is a technique, which uses up an attack to perform, gives a variable penalty to the target's defense, and can be improved with training. "Deceptive Attack" is an option that can be applied to any attack, where the attacker accepts a penalty to-hit and gives the defender an automatic penalty to defense. It's discussed in Basic Set, on page 369.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 11-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
If his GM handles it like one of mine did, then the opponent knows he was feinted, and runs away if you did well on the feint.

Armin
Quote:
Yes, but any foe on story will give a All-Out Attack and he always have a level of ability much more of your.

Feint become a "luxury maneuver", don't is a "effective maneuver".

Use "Disarming" or "Counterattack" is much more effective than feint.
Opponents don't know they have been feinted. MA have some guidelines on how to implement it for PCs but for NPCs it's really easy:

Don't let them take AoA just because the GM knows the PC is feinting. Have to do what they would do if they expect an actual attack.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
B9anders

Quote:
Thank You vierasmarius.

A Feint is its own maneuvre. It is something you do instead of an attack to lower your opponents defences on your next attack.

Deceptive Attack is a penalty you take to your current attack in order to lower his defences immediately. For example, taking a -6 penalty to hit gives the opponent -3 to his defences. It doesn't require any extra actions. It just gives a penalty to hit to lower defences.

If you are better than your opponent, a feint will usually lower defences more, but it also takes longer.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
Ji ji

Quote:
GURPS combat is harsh and realistic. If your foe is more skilled than you, you're likely to be defeated.
There are options that can mitigate this. If you have a better armor or a weapon more suited to the specifical combat situation, you can defeat a much more skilled opponent (and this is realistic). In an open space, for example, a good spearman can defeat a swordmaster.

However, the issue is not about feinting. A feint against a more skilled opponent is not a good idea in real combat, so it is not a good idea in GURPS. If you're facing an opponent more skilled than you, then a fight is the wrong way to handle the situation.

Moreover, you and your GM should talk about this problem. Why do your opponents always make All-out Attacks? Are they zombies or berserkers? If not, it's likely that your GM is not ruling them very well: he considers them "critters" useful only for combat and forgets that any soldier, if well interpreted, has a life, projects, perhaps wife and sons, and he doesn't want to die.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
spqr1337

Porra! Então "Deceptive attack" é muito melhor do que finta!

Ops... Sorry...

****! So "Deceptive attack" is so much better of feint! Where in basic set is the description of "Deceptive attack"?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
spqr1337

No no Ji ji, here every foe don't have a minimal "love to life" and the only purpose of him creation is the destruction of PC... lol

Tags
feint