Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
FeiLin

Default Quick questions on cloaks

I don't get the deal with cloaks. Just by wearing it I get +1 or +2 to all Active Defences? I guess it only applies to attacks from behind, though, right? From the side as well?

How are they used actively to feint, I mean wouldn't I need arms for that and how do I attack in that case? Also, how do you defend from a feint with a cloak, as it says you can on B365?

If I use one to grapple at reach 1, how does that work subsequently? How does range 1 limit stuff? Do I have to close in or can I remain at range 1?

I'm trying to picture all this in a fantasy setting, but the closest I get is a locker room towel fight, but with Aragorn's cape...
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Quick questions on cloaks

Using a cloak with the Cloak skill precludes wearing it. You grasp the cloak near the neck, sometimes wrapping it partially around your forearm, and use it to distract or mislead the enemy, or catch their weapon enough to move it aside. Or whip it over their head to blind them and then hit with your main weapon.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Cloaks used in a manner to grant DB or to attack look like this. Those rules don't apply to people just wearing them on their backs. They're a kind of shield. (See B404.) Note that Cloak is one of the melee weapon skills (B184) -- you need training in using a Cloak as a weapon.

As shields, their benefits would only apply to the appropriate front and shield-side hexes. (See B374.)

If you have a cloak readied as a weapon, you can use it to Feint as you would any other weapon. You can't Feint with a cloak worn as an article of clothing. (Though you might talk me into it in a sufficiently cinematic campaign. The Shadow or Zorro might pull it off by grabbing the one they're wearing for a swirl. But then, that might just be Fast-Draw (Cloak).)

If you grapple with a cloak, it works like a grapple. (B370, or MA "Armed Grapple", or TG, depending on which rules you're using.) The biggest benefit here is going to be the -4 DX the target gets for being grappled. You also get range 1 (grappling normally requires human grapplers to be at range C). You might want to try a takedown. If you're really strong, you might be able to use the dragging rules (B371). Think of it like a whip or lasso.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 04-15-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Also, how do you defend from a feint with a cloak, as it says you can on B365?
As you do with your shield. If you are good with your shield and you roll well, better than your opponent's Feint roll, then the opponent's feint with his sword won't result in you giving an opening to that sword in his next turn. Your defense with the shield is still "up" and you can block normally.
The same happens with the cloak wrapped around your left arm.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Others have it right.

To do anything but keep you warm – and especially to use it in melee combat – you must wield a cloak in hand exactly as you would a buckler or a melee weapon. You can then use it to catch and sweep aside weapons (a block), snap it in someone's face (a feint), and so on, and just having it whipping around in front of you grants a Defense Bonus. On your back, it doesn't do a whole lot of anything, though a really heavy cloak might give you DR 1 from behind.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Culture20

What if you use it like Bat-Man (and Dracula), hiding your form and body positioning? Does that count as light cover?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
JulianLW

If you want to be like Batman or Zorro, you might use the "Hands-Free" perk from Power Ups 2. The perk lists that combat skills are allowed, but would be considered cinematic. Having the hands-free cloak perk should allow you to get the passive DB bonus of the cloak to your other defenses, GM permitting, in the same way that simply holding a shield can give a DB bonus to dodges and parries.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

I allow especially large cloaks/capes (DB 2) to be wrapped about the arm and used without being taken off (1 Ready Maneuver), though they only grant DB 1 in this way (and no back DR).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
What if you use it like Bat-Man (and Dracula), hiding your form and body positioning? Does that count as light cover?
It is possible; however, you will most likely have to house-rule it.

Consider that both Batman and Dracula wear very long (cinematic and sturdy) cloaks which they actually hold with their hand(s) if using them to cover; hence, it is reminiscent of wearing a heavy-fencing-cloak (as a shield).

This is my particular take in a (semi) realistic setting:
  • You take a "dive for cover" maneuver. A successful dodge let's you employ your cloak as passive cover for the locations it covers (considering size, position, etc.). You do not have to buy any perks/skills.
  • For damage calculations, you enact the rule of over-penetration, which most of the time applies to shields (GURPS B408).
  • You do not have the defense bonus from the cloak. Here, I am taking into account that in a realistic setting, a sheet of sturdy material (i.e. Kevlar) could help you against certain attacks.

For cinematic settings:
  • Long cloaks provide you with a defense bonus (it stacks with the shield's defense bonus if you have a ready shield). You won't be able to use a cloak to block or attack, unless you take a maneuver to ready it as a shield. You do not have to buy any perks/skills.
  • I do not bother with over-penetration, hence no DR/passive DR or dive for cover. Perhaps a cloak made of special materials (i.e. dragon's hide) could provide your back with DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
If you want to be like Batman or Zorro, you might use the "Hands-Free" perk from Power Ups 2 (...)
I am not completely sure about this, at least technically, not a hands-free perk but a Clothing Shtick (IMO). Useful if you want to charge your players and limit its use as a perk.

Last edited by Hide; 04-15-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
FeiLin

Kool, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Cloaked used in a manner to grant DB or to attack look like this.
Oh, I was way off! Didn't know that was a common enough phenomenon to deserve lack of explicit mention of how it was used. Couldn't find any mention of wrapping it around the arm, so naturally assumed it was on the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
What if you use it like Bat-Man (and Dracula), hiding your form and body positioning?
Yeah, that would've made sense in my mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If you grapple with a cloak, it works like a grapple. (B370, or MA "Armed Grapple", or TG, depending on which rules you're using.)
Heh, grappling seems to be a complicated topic...
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloak, defence bonus, feint