Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Joel

Default Auras, & Hp/DR for bullets

If I've understood correctly: If you have an innate attack with the aura enhancement, the damage from the aura would be added to all your physical attacks (punches, kicks), as well as damage any weapon that strikes you. Doesn't this make the Aura enhancement simply better than the ST Based Melee Attack enhancement, which costs 20% more? For example, what would the guy (well, gall, and deity in this case) get with:

(Using multiplicative Modifiers from powers)

Innate Attack: (Punch) Crushing 6 Burning 6 (Armor Divisor 3 +100%, Dual Melee Attack +10%, ST Based Melee Attack +100%, Melee Attack [C] -30%) [131]

That he/she doesn't get with

Innate Attack: (Punch) Crushing 6 (Armor Divisor 3 +100%, Dual Melee Attack +10%, ST Based Melee Attack +100%, Melee Attack [C] -30%) [66]

Innate Attack: Burning 6 (Armor Divisor 3 +100%, Aura +80%, Melee Attack [C] -30%) [59]

That makes up for the higher cost and the fact that the later damages all weapons that strike her?

Also, what is the DR and Hp for a bullet? From the Object Hit Points and Structural Damage Tables I'm guessing DR 10'ish and 2 hp?
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Auras, & Hp/DR for bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
If I've understood correctly: If you have an innate attack with the aura enhancement, the damage from the aura would be added to all your physical attacks (punches, kicks), as well as damage any weapon that strikes you. Doesn't this make the Aura enhancement simply better than the ST Based Melee Attack enhancement, which costs 20% more?
Well, it goes vs DR as two separate attacks in this case, rather than simply adding your ST damage to the damage of the Innate Attack.

Quote:
Also, what is the DR and Hp for a bullet? From the Object Hit Points and Structural Damage Tables I'm guessing DR 10'ish and 2 hp?
Calling it a homogenous object of 0.015625 lb (somewhere between 5.56 and 7.62), it would have 1/4 the HP of a 1 lb object, or 2 hp.

Hm. A HP 2 object, at a Move of 1,000 (fairly normal for a rifle bullet) gives a damage of 20d.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Hm. A HP 2 object, at a Move of 1,000 (fairly normal for a rifle bullet) gives a damage of 20d.
If its bullet shaped, it does half damage, but it's piercing (p.430, last paragraph).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
If its bullet shaped, it does half damage, but it's piercing (p.430, last paragraph).
10d is still a bit much for a 109 grain bullet moving at 3,000 fps.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
10d is still a bit much for a 109 grain bullet moving at 3,000 fps.
The slam rules weren't designed to model literal bullets (though looking at rifle and MG bullets 7d-13d seems about the norm). Anyways, when you're talking about something that small, you almost have to get into fractional HP to achieve any measure of accuracy. It's entirely possible that said bullet actually has "1.5 HP" instead of 2 HP, and thus only does 7d damage, or some such variation.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura of power, fractional hp