Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #961
Rasputin

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I expect it's an equivalent to Henchmen, allowing for lower value delvers.
I would hope a Fiendish Foes would be out to make foes of any power level fast, but I appear to be the only fellow begging for it.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #962
dbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
If it's "Bestiary," that isn't DF-specific, and certainly not something that can be knocked off fast.
I think DF significantly increases the probability of a bestiary. You always want more monsters for a dungeon-delving campaign in my experience. And since one of the issues of having a generic bestiary is that some people want aliens whilst others want demons the focus of DF resolves this issue.

And who says the bonus PDFs need to be quickly delivered? Many Kickstarters deliver stretch goals for an extended period following the release of the base product. Most Monte Cook Games Kickstarter campaigns work this way, and they are currently running their eighth highly successful campaign, so they clearly know a thing or two.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #963
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeon Fantasy RPG Stretch Goals
A new, as yet unwritten Dungeon Fantasy pdf will be delivered to all backers in 2017.
While 2017 covers a fairly large timeframe, I expect that they'll shoot for May 2017 to match the ship date of the boxed set.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #964
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
I think DF significantly increases the probability of a bestiary. You always want more monsters for a dungeon-delving campaign in my experience.
"Bestiary" in GURPS-terms has always had a focus on real-world animals. The delay with such a book has always been that it needs point costs for each animal. Kromm has said this many times.

GURPS Bestiary 4e isn't something that will be knocked out because a DF Kickstarter met a stretch goal. Were it, it would be out already.

My GURPS blog.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #965
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
"Bestiary" in GURPS-terms has always had a focus on real-world animals.
Not really. There were three major bestiaries in 3E: Bestiary, Space Bestiary and Fantasy Bestiary. Only one of those contained real-world animals. The great (if not vast) majority of animals/creatures in 3E and in 4E are imaginary.

Quote:
The delay with such a book has always been that it needs point costs for each animal.
That seems unlikely. Point cost are trivial to put together. I could go back and calculate points for every single one of the 660 creatures I put in the encyclopedia (which contains Bestiary, Space Bestiary and Fantasy Bestiary, plus others) and I doubt it would take me more than a week. And that's without using GCA (because I do most of my work on a Mac). It takes me longer to write a description than it does for me to point-stat. In the time that I've been back in GURPS world (about 40 days) I have built over 50 creatures from scratch, and I'm only working on all of my GURPS stuff for maybe an hour a day. The greater difficulty, I think, is in the production value needed to make it commercially viable. Good descriptions, clear layout and - biggest issue of all - quality art.

Quote:
GURPS Bestiary 4e isn't something that will be knocked out because a DF Kickstarter met a stretch goal.
Agreed. If it hasn't happened already, I don't think the DFRPG Kickstarter is the critical catalyst to make it happen. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Last edited by kmunoz; 09-11-2016 at 04:19 PM.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #966
voodoo54

Does anyone know what the GM screen will be made of? Will it be a hardcover book stock like the pathfinder gm screen or thinner like the old GURPS GM screen?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #967
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
Does anyone know what the GM screen will be made of? Will it be a hardcover book stock like the pathfinder gm screen or thinner like the old GURPS GM screen?
Last thing I heard, 2mm thick cardstock
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #968
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Last thing I heard, 2mm thick cardstock
This from Phillip Reed says 2mm chipboard.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #969
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
That seems unlikely. Point cost are trivial to put together. I could go back and calculate points for every single one of the 660 creatures I put in the encyclopedia (which contains Bestiary, Space Bestiary and Fantasy Bestiary, plus others) and I doubt it would take me more than a week.
Funny you should say that, because I did just that, at least for the 200 beasts in GURPS Bestiary 3e. (I own all three of GURPS Bestiary 3e, GURPS Fantasy Bestiary, and GURPS Space Bestiary in dead tree.) There are loads and loads of traits you missed (I used your work as a guide for the ones you did), and frankly I'm still not satisfied with the behavior traits. But the time involved was not a trivial matter. There are things like how long an animal sleeps, its tendency to hang out with others, its lifespan, its senses … lots of things. This isn't as big a deal for fictitious animals, though you want to be consistent.

And we have it from Kromm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Which compels me to emphasize that this general sentiment is what has delayed the project for so long. Were we convinced that we could sell Third Edition-style bestiaries, with seat-of-the-pants stats blocks and no point costs or complicated advantage builds, there would've been Fourth Edition bestiaries years ago. By our fairly careful estimates, adding in the need to build beasts on points multiplies the workload by three or four. More harshly, that need narrows the pool of writers from "dozens" down to "one or two we'd really trust to get the stats and formatting right."
(Odd you don't remember that one, looking at the thread. Please, if you want more on this, send me a PM. No sense further derailing this thread.)

My GURPS blog.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #970
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
Yesterday was a good day, considering how far we're into this Kickstarter's pledge period. Another $2,162 was pledged and 24 more people joined the cause.

As of this writing, we're at $80,825 and have a little over 19 days to go!
It's a steady climb. I've been posting DF stuff on my blog (mostly by my wonderful guest authors) to draw as much attention to the kickstarter as I can so i'm doing my part. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I missed out on all the other GURPS Edition Wars, I may as well kick this off personally!
Heh.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy