Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Kaldrin

Default Re: Mass Effect Sourcebook

I think the main problem you'll run into with the Mass Effect game is to run something that feels the same, but will still be a surprise for the players. I don't want to issue any spoilers here, but there were a lot of questions left unanswered. A lot of whys and hows to be explained by a creative GM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Dreohboy

And me being only 5+ hours into the game. I should probably finish it first. LOL.
Dreohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
I think the main problem you'll run into with the Mass Effect game is to run something that feels the same, but will still be a surprise for the players. I don't want to issue any spoilers here, but there were a lot of questions left unanswered. A lot of whys and hows to be explained by a creative GM.
The only way I see it is to play a game set after the events of ME - most likely with the 'good' ending (the Paragon choice in the final battle).

I still think their Spaceships situation is a mess.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I still think their Spaceships situation is a mess.
Yeah, but it's not a space battle game. It's a sci-fi adventure game... with the odd APC thrown in to get you from point A to point B faster. If anything their 'spaceship' would just effectively be a roving headquarters and that's it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
Yeah, but it's not a space battle game. It's a sci-fi adventure game... with the odd APC thrown in to get you from point A to point B faster. If anything their 'spaceship' would just effectively be a roving headquarters and that's it.
I was talking about the spaceships situation as described in the Codex.

I'm actually quite happy with the way tech works for most of the [i]playable[/p] part of the game.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Mehmet
MIB

Ahhh! Mass Effect! Star Wars without all the "all heroics are already done here, move along" feel! Love it!

Ships shouldn't play a big role there I think, they are just "havens" and "plot devices" - I can't remember any good dogfight in the game and I don't think it is really appropriate for the setting. Waystations (or whatever they were called) are just really good tools that I can't wait to use as a GM :)

Cheerio!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
Langy

If I remember right, there isn't too much Spaceship science that would be hard to reproduce in GURPS. The mass effect fields reduce the effective mass of the ship, while not changing its thrust. Most ships use Fusion Rockets (which normally give 0.005Gs of thrust), but with the mass effect field in place they likely give about 5Gs of thrust. The mass effect field reduces the ship's mass by 1,000 times. Ships will have the ST and HP of a ship of their real mass, but will have the Handling and Stability Rating of a ship six SMs smaller. They will also have accelerations about 1,000 times higher than normal for the engine. Also, somehow the mass effect field also acts as an inertial compensator, though I don't remember that being explained in the game. Ships will also have delta-Vs 1,000 times higher than normal for their reaction engie and fuel tank size.

The gravity shielding can probably be made as a force screen with a few options added on, though I can't remember enough about it to say what they should be. I can't think of anything else that's particularly difficult to emulate in GURPS.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy
Also, somehow the mass effect field also acts as an inertial compensator, though I don't remember that being explained in the game.
If you assume that the Mass Effect is working directly on the ship's effective inertial mass, this makes sense.
If not, the only alternative I can see is that it's actually reducing the mass of the ship to 1/1000th original.
Which is what I tend to call "almost total destruction". :)
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
paladin15132

Hello, did anyone take this any farther? I really liked the console version and think it would make a fine RPG...
paladin15132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
lordmalachdrim

I agree it's an interesting Idea and I think I'll start work on it for my own games, though if it's like any of the other projects I'm working on it'll be a year or more before much gets down. And with Mass Effect 2 scheduled for this year I'll definitely want to dig though that for more stuff.
Basic - 0

"Friends come and go... But enemies accumulate."

Never Let the Facts Get in the Way of a Good Grudge.
lordmalachdrim is offline   Reply With Quote