Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Dreohboy

Default Mass Effect Sourcebook

Someone recommended that I move this topic to the GURPS forum....so..

Hello All,

I specifically joined these forums today to elicit aid in putting together a Mass Effect Sourcebook/Adventure. For those that don't know

"Mass Effect is set in the year 2183 AD. Thirty-five years prior, humanity discovered a cache of technology built by a technologically advanced but long-extinct race called the Protheans. Studying and adapting this technology, humankind has managed to break free of the solar system and has established numerous colonies and encountered various extraterrestrial species within the Milky Way galaxy. Utilizing alien artifacts known as "Mass Relays", the various space-faring species are able to travel instantly across vast stretches of the galaxy.

Within the game, humanity has formed the "Human Systems Alliance", one of many independent bodies that make up the collective of "Citadel space". Citadel space, as a whole, is ruled by a body of government known as the "Council", which is made up of members of the three prominent alien races: the asari, salarians, and turians.
Mass Effect Alien Races

Mass Effect Resources

Mind you all, I've followed GURPS since 1989, and I've always loved the system. I've just never played the system in game. None of the people I've gamed with have ever wanted to learn the system.

I think a Mass Effect sourcebook would make quite a few people change their mind about learning the GURPS system.

Oh, hi all.

:-D
Dreohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Dreohboy

Default Re: Mass Effect Sourcebook

To start with, i think I need to figure out the appropriate tech level for their universe and run with everthing from there.

I think Ultra Tech and the Traveller Interstellar Wars sourcebooks are all I need initially to get ideas on character and tech generation.
Dreohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Kaldrin

Ultra-tech definitely. Also some Biotech is evident, if memory serves me correctly. They definitely have Psi in the game too, so Powers might be an additional requirement, though you might be able to do it with just the basic set.

Seems to me the TL might be TL9 or slightly above it for the human race. Weapons are still projectile-based. I played the game over a year ago, so I'm not sure what the specifics of power generation, transportation or medical would be TL-wise. I just remember I loved to hop out of the APC on a ridge and plug stuff from miles away with the sniper rifle (extra xp, yay!).
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Mailanka

It's TL 10, and you'll want to use some of the special, super-science options for gauss weapons.

Is that Pyramid article where David Pulver discusses "even more lethal UT weapons" generally available? If not, is it kosher to post that material publicly?

EDIT: Might be even higher, at least in a few places. Afterall, they have personal shields and the gauss weapons border on grav weapons, as it's a mass-effect field that's accelerating little bits to near C, but they don't have some of the crazier stuff you see at those TLs. It's space opera, so a little bit of Safetech might be in order.

Last edited by Mailanka; 02-18-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

It broke my head when I was talking with a ship's engineer on board the super stealthy ship, and I kept asking him how the ship managed to be so ground breaking-ly stealthy (like more stealthy than any of the other alien races ships.) His final answer? "Heat sinks." Apparently none of the other alien races ever thought about giving a ship heat sinks to make it harder to detect. *Headtable*

That aside, it was a cool world. I REALLY liked the descriptions for all the planets you could explore. I thought it was cool that they actually bothered to describe places you couldn't land on.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
mearrin69

FWIW, someone has already done a D20-based conversion of the Mass Effect universe. I don't know how complete it is, or how good, but I think I saw lots of congratulatory noise about it. This was on the WotC Star Wars Saga forums I think (http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=377).

I'm converting some D20 stuff myself right now, though, and I have to say sometimes it's easier to just look and see what someone else did and what effects they put into game terms and then just put into GURPS terms yourself. D20 and GURPS are very different games...and their adherents often have different gameplay styles in mind.
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote