Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
The Cardinal

Default Psionics: Teleport and Attack?

If you teleport with 0 concentration time - are you able to make a physical attack from your point of arrival within the same turn?
How about a teleporter with Rapid Fire (Supers) who does multiple jumps within one turn?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
chandley

Default Re: Psionics: Teleport and Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
If you teleport with 0 concentration time - are you able to make a physical attack from your point of arrival within the same turn?
How about a teleporter with Rapid Fire (Supers) who does multiple jumps within one turn?
Yes.

For the Rapid Fire, you can make one attack at any point, unless you have multiple attacks (Rapid Strike, Extra Attack, All-Out Attack Double, etc), in which case you may spread them out how ever you like (including two or more attacks at the same stop, you don't have to divide it equally among stops). Teleportation acts like having a multiple hex Step in this instance.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

The most I would charge for an instant Warp + Attack is making it a Technique to remove the penalty one would normally take for a Rapid Strike attack. Otherwise, just call it a Rapid Strike, with the first "attack" being your Warp/Blink.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
binn05

Would be possible to teleport less than your total Basic Move, attack and than teleport away with the remaining move you have?
Would it be a Move and Attack manouver?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Daigoro

Don't forget you need to make a Body Sense roll after each jump to act straight away.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
Maz

I had to look up Warp as I thought it required a Concentration action. But it doesn't explicitly say that. So yea, at 0 sec its a free action and can be combined with any other action including an attack.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
Would be possible to teleport less than your total Basic Move, attack and than teleport away with the remaining move you have?
Would it be a Move and Attack manouver?
It doesnt use Move at all. You could Teleport at 0 time and then take a Move or Move and Attack. The teleport acts like, but doesnt replace, your step. 0 time means exactly that.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Plane

"roll is at -10, but you are free to choose whatever Manoeuvre you like immediately after that" per http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.2.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I had to look up Warp as I thought it required a Concentration action. But it doesn't explicitly say that. So yea, at 0 sec its a free action and can be combined with any other action including an attack.
According to the FAQ the Warp advantage uses "Ready" maneuvers ("take a turn of Ready to get -5 to the roll instead; take multiple Ready actions to get from -4 to +10.") If you wanted to change that to concentrates, would probably split the difference between the "requires ready" and "requires concentrate" limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The most I would charge for an instant Warp + Attack is making it a Technique to remove the penalty one would normally take for a Rapid Strike attack. Otherwise, just call it a Rapid Strike, with the first "attack" being your Warp/Blink.
I don't think you can activate it using an "Attack", unless of course it was Affliction: Warp instead.

Given that there is a "Quick Draw" skill which allows readying weapons (normally requiring a Ready maneuver) to be done as a free action on a success (takes a Ready as normal if failed, fumbles if crit fail) it makes me wonder if anyone has developed a similar skill for Warp in any of the books. I'd like to see this idea (specifying by advantage)

Since Extra Ready is same price as Extra Attack you could HR allowing something like "All Out: Double" instead of Attack+Attack to be Ready+Ready.

Or a HR to adapt the "Dual Ready" perk to something other than readying 2 weapons at once. HTH has other perks like "Quick Sheathe" and "Quick Swap" for shaving off Ready maneuver costs, although with Warp I think you're intended to just buy the "Reliable" enhancement (or Talent) to offset the penalties for taking less time.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
It doesnt use Move at all. You could Teleport at 0 time and then take a Move or Move and Attack. The teleport acts like, but doesnt replace, your step. 0 time means exactly that.
Thank you very much.

Tags
psionics, teleport