Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Xuub

Default GURPS Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I've been adapting a playable GURPS: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game. I say playable because I've seen a few poor conversions with clunky rules floating around on various sites. The best conversion I've pilfered from.. I mean found... is GurpsHammer.

My goal really is not a true conversion, rather a GURPS game set within the World of Warhammer.

My question: Does anyone have a newer version or notes for 4e ?

Xuub

Last edited by Xuub; 03-20-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Xuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Tiger Maggot
Banned

Default Re: GURPS: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I have some racial templates (Skaven and elves mainly, along with some Chaos critters) somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up.
Tiger Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Leif

I'm running just such a game, but have been doing it with pretty minimal preparation -- I just stat out templates for specific races and such when I think I'm going to need them soon, not before. It seems to be working well enough.
Leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Xuub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Maggot
I have some racial templates (Skaven and elves mainly, along with some Chaos critters) somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up.
I'd like to see them, if you do dig them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
I'm running just such a game, but have been doing it with pretty minimal preparation -- I just stat out templates for specific races and such when I think I'm going to need them soon, not before. It seems to be working well enough.
Do you have the racial templates that you've finished available to post? I'm also curious how you're handling Magick. Do you have any suggestions for someone putting GURPS rules into the Warhammer setting?

Xuub
Old 01-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Xuub

Here is what I have so far. I would enjoy feedback and aid with Racial Templates.

GURPS: Warhammer

1. Creating a Character
2. Advantages
3. Disadvantages
4. Skills
5. Magic
6. Templates

1. Creating A Character

Welcome to GURPS: Warhammer. . .
Many thousands of years ago the Warhammer World was a peaceful realm, unspoiled by the spread of civilization and the clamor of war.

No historical record explains how the first tides of Chaos began to wash down from the North.Some speculate that a piece of the Chaos Moon known as Moorsleib fell from the sky leaving a colossal crater at the North Pole. Radiating from the meteorite, Chaos began to seep into the World. Others suggest ancient gods known as the Old Ones once ruled the planet and their elder wars resulted in a gateway to the realm of Chaos being torn open at the North Pole.
Regardless of the source, there is no denying the eternal battle that now exists across the Warhammer World.

Accounts vary as how the first Chaos incursion was overcome. Dwarfs maintain that their ancestor gods sacrificed themselves while driving the hordes of Daemons back to their hellish origin. It was the Elves however, who reduced the flow of dark power into the world by creating a magical Vortex that siphoned off much of the unholy Chaos discharge. The problem has been postponed rather than averted, however. The foul power of Chaos had soiled much of the natural world creating hideous monstrosities and new races that bent their knee to the dark gods. In the north the surging energies transformed the entire land into a garden of Hell that became known as the Realm of Chaos.

The Warhammer world had earned its name. Over the centuries, the bloody hand of war would turn Elf against Elf, Dwarf against Dwarf and the two implacable allies against each other. But looming over all strife and horror would be the shadow of Chaos, civilizations greatest enemy from now until the end of the world.

Starting points
GURPS: Warhammer characters start with 125 points. Racial packages must be paid for out of this starting 125 character points. It should also be noted that all characters must take at least one level of Guild Rank or take the Wealth Disadvantage.

Disadvantage Limit
GURPS: Warhammer characters are able to take up to -55 pts worth of disadvantages and quirks. Illiteracy is the norm and it is recommended that players who do not take this disadvantage come up with a good reason for why they can read.

Tech Level
GURPS: Warhammer is Tech Level 4.

Racial Templates
I'm still looking for good templates and could use ideas. I'm not sure if I shouldn't just use the Templates from the GURPS: Fantasy book. Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling. Humans are assumed to speak Old Worlder, however other races must buy any language they know in addition to their native racial tongue.

Culture
Each race has its own distinct culture. Characters must choose one culture that they are familiar with and then any others must be purchased with character points. The cultures include: Human, Dwarven, Elven, and Halfling.

Language and Literacy
The Warhammer World is filled with a variety of languages. It is cumbersome to list them all, so I have chosen 30 of the most common languages as a starting point upon which players can build. The languages are listed with dialects in parentheses. Characters speaking one dialect can communicate with those of another dialect but suffer a -1 to skills involving language and on reaction rolls (when you speak). This penalty increases to -2 for artistic skills. This can be especially troublesome in situations involving haggling, seduction, and spying. Characters can purchase fluency with a different dialect as a 1pt Perk.

Illiteracy is the norm across the Warhammer World . Most people can speak one or even two languages without needing to read either of them. Players are encouraged to take the Spoken (Native)/Written (None) -3 pt Disadvantage or the Spoken (Native)/Written(None) -2 pt Disadgantage This consideration has been included in the starting point totals, therefore they do indeed count against the --55 pt disadvantage limit for the Warhammer World.

{ This table was deleted}

Wealth
Wealth and Status are closely linked in Warhammer World; however they must be purchased separately. Wealth affects Status by offering a bonus or penalty as noted below under Status Adjustment. (GURPS p26)

{This Table was deleted}

Status 5 points/Level
Status represents the general social standing of all characters in the Warhammer World. Every character and NPC in the world falls into one of these categories. If a PC doesn’t spend any points on Status, then they are assumed to have Status 0 “Freeman”. It is nearly impossible to change Status during play. Regardless of whether you are a slave or a prince, everyone has little opportunity to change.

{This table was deleted}

Guild Rank 5 points/Level
Few people can rise above their birth status. Only truly extraordinary people can change this status. Most often this is done by gaining Rank.

Guilds are truly the only way a person can earn Rank.. Dominating every trade and profession in the Warhammer world, Guilds control everything from sailors, beggars, and craftsmen to well-to-do merchants, bureaucrats, and even wizards.. All characaters must take at least one rank in a guild or take the Wealth Disadvantage.

There are many types of rank in the Warhammer World. I have listed some Guilds below,, however this list is by no means complete. Players are encouraged to develop new Guilds to suit character concepts. The titles llisted for each type of Guild Rank are suggestions. The Warhammer world is as diverse as our own. These titles have been pilfered from the Warhammer source books as well as my own ideas and are intended to inspire rather than restrict.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: Some guilds require a specific advantage before member can join. This is listed under each guild.

PREREQUISITE SKILL(s): All guilds require proficiency in one or more skills appropriate to the guild. A minimum skill level is required for each level of Rank. The minimum is 12+(Rank Level). If more than one skill is listed then both skills must be sufficiently high before the Rank is granted. For Example: To take Rank 1 within the Entertainers Guild a character must have the Performance skill of 13 or higher. Likewise, Rank 4 in the Wizards Guild requires the character to have the Thaumatology skill of 16 or higher.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Xuub

Academy of Sorcery Rank (By Type) 5 points/level

In 2452, Wilhelm III made the practice of four arcane academic disciplines (Wizardry, Elementalism, Mentalism, and Alchemy) legal in the Reich, declaring null and void the ancient laws against witchcraft. In this proclamation Wilhelm III declared that certain arcane practices, including necromancy and daemonology, were to remain illegal, and to be considered treason.

Wilhelm III also established the four academies of sorcery, and granted them the right to make laws restricting the practice of magick in the Empire, giving them the power to establish penalties and stand in judgment over offenders.

Wilhelm perceptively realized that the academies now had a vested interest in preventing disturbances which might turn the people, the merchant class, and the nobility against them. The academies have established extensive regulations concerning the practice of magick in the Empire, and have been fairly successful in policing their own ranks. Their success is probably at least partially attributable to the imposing resources they command in the pursuit and apprehension of traitors, and the gruesome ingenuity and enthusiasm they invest in the public spectacles of their sentences and executions.
Wilhelm’s proclamation only specifically legitimized the practice of sorceries of the four academies, therefore the status of hedgewizardry is left somewhat ambiguous. Since Hedgewizards are primarily poor, rural folk, the matter is of little consequence to the noble and merchant classes of the Empire. The Academies of Sorcery have construed their authority to include the pursuit and judgment of wizards that clearly imperil the public welfare, pyromaniacs, highwaymen, and bandits employing sorcery, in particular, but they are less diligent in policing the petty frauds and nuisances occasionally perpetrated by backwoods hedgewizards. The rural folk have adopted their own rough, informal style of justice to deal with these wayward spellcasters. . .

Each Academy is autonomous. Spell casting characters should be careful to choose an appropriate academy to their character concept because each has different libraries with access to different spells. The Demonology and Necromancy Guilds are illegal and members must keep their membership secret lest they be severely prosecuted, tortured, and then killed. Also note that, anyone known (or sometimes merely suspected) of being a spell-caster who does not have the backing and support of a guild, will be prosecuted, tortured, then killed.

The Four Academies are: Wizardry, Elementalism, Mentalism, and Alchemy and the illegal Guilds are: Necromancy, and Demonology.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: Warp Resonance
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Thaumatology & Alchemy

Artisans Guild Rank (By type) 5 points/level

Each Artisans Guild has it’s own Rank: Such as Brewer, Tailor, Chandler, Tanner, Vintner, Blacksmith, Cobbler, Rat Catcher, Labourer, Engineer, etc . Humans, Elves and Dwarfs have their own respective versions of these Craftsguilds. The Dwarfs especially guard their knowledge jealously.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: None
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Professional Skill appropriate to the Guild. (For example: the Imperial Tailors Guild would require the Profession: Tailor skill as a prerequisite)

Bards Guild Rank 5 points per level

Bards are masters of sound and music, although they generally travel the countryside and tell stories or ballads for a meal. Most of their magic is of course connected to sound and is subtler than the normal aggressive magic used by the other spellcasters. Not all Bards are spell casters, but those who are always have either the “Song” “Dance” or “Music” limited Magery. Elves are considered to be the most gifted Bards, but tend not to travel and so lack the fame and glory of human bards, because they sing and play purely for the sake of singing and playing and not so much as to manipulate things or people.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: None but Warp Resonance is common.
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Performance & Musical Instrument

Dwarf Engineers Guild Rank 5 points per level

The Dwarf Engineers Guild strives to find technological solutions to most problems. The ancient Elves once dominated the skies atop their mighty War Dragons, but it was not long before the Dwarfs had taken to the air in rotor-bladed flying machines known as Gyrocopters. The steam locomotion that powers these magnificent machines is one of the Dwarfs greatest discoveries, and means that they are not dependant on beasts of burden, which have difficulty traversing the inhospitable mountains. Only a Dwarf can join this guild.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: Gadgeteer
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Engineer: Vehicles and one other Engineer specialty such as Engineer: Armor or Engineer:Weapons.

Entertainers Guild Rank 5 points/level

Entertainers make their living by providing live sows in the citys, villages, and palaces of the Old World. A select few become famous and attract patronage of the nobility. Entertainers include: Acrobats, Actors, Fire Eaters, Fortune Tellers, Jugglers, Poets, Singers, Troubadours, Wrestlers, and more.

PREREQUISITE SKILL: Performance

Imperial Militia Rank (By Type) 5 points/level

Each City-State or Province is a semi-autonomus region, governed by a Count or Burgomeister. The Counts are descended from the original tribal warlords appointed by Sigmar to govern the regions of his realm. Each Imperial province or City-State maintains a state regiment with its own rank and distinctive livery. Choices are: Middenheim, Hochland, Norland, Talbaheim, Sirland, Reikland, Tabecland, Nuln, Ostland, Averland, Altdorf, and Middenland.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: Legal Enforcement Powers
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Law & Any single Weapon Skill

Merchant Rank 5 points/level
Merchants sell goods that craftsmen make. They also travel from town to city in the attempt to earn a profit.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: None but Wealth is common at higher ranks.
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Merchant

Religious Rank (By Type) 5 points/level

Many gods reign over the Warhammer world. Each Deity has it’s own hierarchy of clergy . When selecting Religious Rank or Templar Rank a player must also choose to which church they adhere.
Religious Rank is for clerics of the Old World. Clerics are authorized by the churches to conduct services and to minister to the spiritual needs of the faithful. In order to carry out their duties, Clerics are granted access to the diety by the medium of prayer, as well as access to the four Paths of Magic granted by the diety. These Paths come from devotion to the deity rather than from knowledge and force of will.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: Clerical Investment
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Theology & Religious Ritual

Thieves / Assassins Guild Rank 5 points/level

These are two separate Guilds but are listed together for simplicity. Every major city within the Warhammer world hosts it’s own Thieves Guild and Assassins Guild. Players must choose which city’s Guild they join. Each guild is autonomous but most respect each other and a Guild member from one city can often find refuge and aid in another city. This is not to say that Guild members never betray each other. Indeed they do …for the right price…

PREREQUISITE SKILL: Streetwise & Stealth

Prostitute/ Bawd Guild Rank 5 points/level

Prostitutes and Bawds are common across the Warhammer World. In a grim world they console and fill a need that many of the authorities and nobility would rather to ignore. A high ranking courtesan can earn quite a name for herself despite her low status birth.

PREREQUISITE SKILL: Sex appeal
Old 01-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Xuub

Templar Rank (by Type) 5 points/level

Templars are those fighting men who have allied themselves directly with one of the religious institutions of the old world. Templars are under the command of the temple authorities and often live within the temple precincts. It is the duty of the Templars serve as guards as well as provide military might against heresy and for the protection of the faithful from infidel attacks. Each deity has it’s own society of Templars. When taking this rank the character
must select a deity.

PREREQUISITE SKILL: Theology and one weapon skill

Wardancer Rank 5 points/level
Wardancers are deadly warrior-troubodours. Little is known about the workings within this strange cult of Wood Elves. They seem to be an elite cult of bards. Flamboyant yet deadly skirmishers Wardancers combine incredible skill at arms with breathtaking acrobatic feats. Only Wood Elves my be Wardancers.

PREREQUISITE ADVANTAGE: None, but Ambidexterity, Combat Reflexes and Musical Ability are common.
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Acrobatics, Dancing, Flying Leap & one Weapon Skill

Waywatchers Rank 5 points/level
Nothing is more certain to invoke the fury of the Wood Elves than intruders and violaters of nature. Safeguarding the forest is the primary responsibility of the Waywatchers—the elite rangers who specialize in tracking, setting traps and launching surprise attacks. Whole Imperial regiments have been known to walk march into the forest only to be depleted to a man—without ever catching a glimpse of these lethal scouts. Only Wood Elves may be Waywatchers.
watch
PREREQUISITE SKILL: Bow, Tracking & Traps

Witch hunters Rank 5 points/level
Witch Hunters are a loosely organized guild of people who, for reasons of their own, have devoted their lives to hunting down and destroying Chaos and its minions. In some states TheWitch Hunters Guild is tolerated and encouraged, in others it is forced to operate in secret. Guild members will kill their quarry out of hand where necessary, but prefer to whip up mass hysteria. They love to conduct showy trials and lynchings, encouraging people to denounce their neighbours, their rulers, and even their own families.

PREREQUISITE SKILL: Two skills from the following: Hidden Lore: Demonology, Hidden Lore: Witchcraft, or Hidden Lore: Undead.

2. Advantages

The following advantages from GRUPS: Basic Set are available for GURPS: Warhammer. A few new advantages are added at the end.

Absolute Direction
Absolute Timing
Accessory
Acute Hearing
Acute Taste and Smell
Acute Touch
Acute Vision
Administrative Rank
Alcohol Tolerance
Allies
Alternate Identity
Ambidexterity
Animal Empathy
Animal Friend
Appearance
Artificer
Autotrance
Business Acumen
Charisma
Chronolocation
Claim to Hospitality
Clerical Investment
Combat Reflexes
Common Sense
Contact Group
Contacts
Courtesy Rank
Cultural Adaptability
Cultural Familiarity
Danger Sense
Daredevil
Deep Sleeper
Destiny
Detect
Double-Jointed
Eidetic Memory
Empathy
Enhanced Defenses
Extended Lifespan
Extra Attack
Fashion Sense
Favor
Fearlessness
Fit
Flexibility
Gadgeteer
Gifted Artist
Gigantism
Gizmos
Green Thumb
Gunslinger
Hard to Kill
Hard to Subdue
Healer
Healing
High Manual Dexterity
High Pain Threshold
Honest Face
Independent Income
Indomitable
Intuition
Intuitive Mathematician
Language Talent
Legal Enforcement Powers
Legal Immunity
Less Sleep
Lightning Calculator
Longevity
Luck
Magic Resistance
Mana Damper
Mana Enhancer
Mathematical Ability
Medium
Merchant Rank
Military Rank
Musical Ability
Night Vision
No Hangover
Outdoorsman
Patrons
Penetrating Voice
Perfect Balance
Peripheral Vision
Photographic Memory
Pitiable
Plant Empathy
Police Rank
Rank
Rapid Healing
Rapier Wit
Reduced Consumption
Religious Rank
Security Clearance
Sensitive
Serendipity
Shtick
Signature Gear
Single-Minded
Smooth Operator
Social Chameleon
Social Regard
Status
Talent
Temperature Tolerance
Tenure
Trained By A Master
True Faith
Unfazeable
Unusual Background
Versatile
Very Fit
Very Rapid Healing
Voice
Wealth
Weapon Master
Xeno-Adaptability
Zeroed

Dialect -- 1 point Perk
There are many languages in the Warhammer World and each has a variety of dialects. Any character who can speak the Native level of a language is able to buy this perk to learn a different dialect. Non native speakers (those with Accented of Broken levels of a language) are not able to learn new dialects. Each dialect must be purchased separately and can be bought during or after character creation. (see B p24 for more on languages)

Off-Hand Weapon Training -- 1 point Perk
This allows you to learn to use a single weapon in your off-hand. Off-Hand Weapon Training functions exactly like the Ambidexterity advantage except it only applies to a single weapon. Each weapon must be purchased separately and can be bought during or after character creation.

Warp Empathy -- 5 points for Warp Empathy +10 points per level
This advantage comes in levels. You must purchase Warp Empathy 0 before buying higher levels. Warp Empathy works just like the Ritual Magery advantage and can be bought up to level 5 (GURPS: Magic p200) , Warp Empathy depends on the core skill Ritual Magic (p. B 218). Through this empathy with the warp, clerics are able speak a prayer and perform a small ritual which allows their deity to cast a spell through them. Those with Warp Empathy do not have Magical Awareness (see Warp Resonance).

Warp Resonance --5 points for Warp Resonance +10 points per level
This advantage comes in levels. You must purchase Warp Empathy 0 before buying higher levels. Warp Resonance replaces the Magery Advantage and can be bought up to level 5.

Warp Resonance 0: You are attuned to the Warp. In addition to being able learn spells, you are able to sense magic in the world around you. This Magical Awareness allows you to sense the presence of magic-using creatures and anyone casting or maintaining spells around you. Modifiers for distance apply, however solid objects such as walls and doors do not. This ability also applies to magic items however they must be seen or touched. The GM should make a Perception roll for you, adding your levels of Warp Resonance. The GM should roll the first time you see a magic item, and if unsuccessful, roll again the first time you touch the item. Success on a Magical Awareness roll means you intuitively know that the item or creature is magical. A roll of 3 or 4 also informs you what college of magic is being used and how strong it is. Those without Warp Resonance do not get this roll.

Warp Resonance 1 to 5
This works the same as Magery 1+. (B p66)
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Xuub

3. Disadvantages

The following disadvantages from GRUPS: Basic Set are available for GURPS: Warhammer. A few new disadvantages are listed at the end.

Absent-Mindedness
Addiction
Alcohol Intolerance
Alcoholism
Amnesia
Appearance
Attentive
Bad Back
Bad Grip
Bad Sight
Bad Smell
Bad Temper
Berserk
Blindness
Bloodlust
Bowlegged
Broad-Minded
Bully
Callous
Cannot Float
Cannot Speak
Careful
Charitable
Chauvinistic
Chronic Depression
Chronic Pain
Chummy
Clueless
Code of Honor
Colorblindness
Combat Paralysis
Compulsive Behavior
Confused
Congenial
Cowardice
Curious
Deafness
Debt
Delusions
Dependents
Destiny
Disciplines of Faith
Dislikes
Distinctive Features
Distractible
Disturbing Voice
Divine Curse
Dreamer
Dull
Duty
Dwarfism
Dyslexia
Easy to Kill
Easy to Read
Enemies
Epilepsy
Extra Sleep
Fanaticism
Fat
Fearfulness
Flashbacks
Gluttony
Greed
Gregarious
Guilt Complex
Gullibility
Habits or Expressions
Ham-Fisted
Hard of Hearing
Hemophilia
Hidebound
Honesty
Horrible Hangovers
Humble
Hunchback
Imaginative
Impulsiveness
Incompetence
Increased Consumption
Incurious
Indecisive
Innumerate
Insomniac
Intolerance
Jealousy
Killjoy
Kleptomania
Klutz
Lame
Laziness
Lecherousness
Light Sleeper
Low Empathy
Low Pain Threshold
Low Self-Image
Lunacy
Magic Susceptibility
Manic-Depressive
Megalomania
Minor Handicaps
Miserliness
Missing Digit
Mistaken Identity
Motion Sickness
Mundane Background
Mute
Nervous Stomach
Neurological Disorder
Neutered
Night Blindness
Nightmares
No Depth Perception
No Sense of Humor
No Sense of Smell/Taste
Noisy
Non-Iconographic
Nosy
Numb
Oblivious
Obsession
Odious Personal Habits
On the Edge
One Arm
One Eye
One Hand
Overconfidence
Overweight
Pacifism
Paranoia
Personality Change
Phantom Voices
Phobias
Post-Combat Shakes
Proud
Pyromania
Restricted Diet
Restricted Vision
Sadism
Secret
Secret Identity
Selfish
Selfless
Sense of Duty
Short Attention Span
Shyness
Skinny
Slave Mentality
Sleepwalker
Slow Healing
Slow Riser
Social Disease
Social Stigma
Split Personality
Squeamish
Staid
Status
Stubbornness
Stuttering
Susceptible
Terminally Ill
Total Klutz
Trademark
Trickster
Truthfulness
Uncongenial
Unfit
Unluckiness
Unnatural Features
Very Fat
Very Unfit
Vow
Wealth
Weirdness Magnet
Workaholic
Wounded
Xenophilia

Demonologist - Secret -10 points
Demonologists are obsessed with the power that can be drawn from other worlds or planes where all kinds of powerful and horrific beings reside. They are met with such fear, loathing and mistrust that Demonologists spend the majority of their time hiding from Witch-Hunters, Templars, and almost everyone else. Demonologists often develop a Mutation which identifies them as a practitioner of the evil arts, making it difficult for them to move around freely. They also are often driven mad by the voice to which they communicate. These disadvantages may be purchased separately. Often they will be hounded from town to town and eventually killed by the local populace. Like Necromancers, Demonologists are never able to reveal the source of their power or the nature of their work else they would be killed.

Due to the fact that Demonologists draw energy both from the Warhammer World and from countless unknown worlds, they are able to cast spells as if they were in a normal mana world, negating the -3 applied to most other spell casters. In addition they receive a +1 to spells involving the summoning, controlling or creation of Daemons and Elementals. Warp Resonance is a prerequisite for taking this disadvantage.

Hedgewizard - Secret -15 points
Until recently the use of magick was outlawed in the Empire. In 2452 Wilhelm III legalized the practice of arcane magick within the Four Academies of Sorcery. Wilhelm’s proclamation did not allow for others to use or learn magick outside this strictly regimented academic setting.. Hedgewizards are poor rural people who for whatever reasons have developed the ability to learn spell even though they have not been taught in an Academy. In small towns and villages they are often the ‘wise-women’ or ‘hermits’ who were born with Warp Resonance and have taught themselves a few spells. Hedgewizards must still purchase the Warp Resonance advantage. Sometimes the villagers and rural folk accept these outcasts and seek their advice in matters varying from illness and child birthing to money and love potions. Often times Hedgewizards are the first to be blamed when things runs afoul. Witch-Hunters seek to kill and make examples of Hedgewizards. In addition, the Imperial guards will interrogate, imprison, sometimes torture, and often hang, behead, or drown Hedgewizards.

Mutation - Secret -15 points
You have a minor mutation. This doesn’t affect your life much except if anyone from commoners to the authorities discovers your condition. At this point you will be killed or be perhaps forced into exile. The mutation will usually be easy enough to hide but you must be careful when bathing or being searched.

Mutation - Obvious -55 points
You have a obvious mutation and it can’t be hidden. It is impossible for you to lead a normal life. You are forced to skulk from farm to farm stealing food and running from Witch-hunters. It takes all your will to prevent you from devolving into a slobbering monster which feeds on anything, even human flesh. Every month of play you should roll against your will. If you fail you must reduce your IQ by 1. This Disadvantage is not recommended at character creation, but could possibly be applied after serious exposure to Warpstone or perhaps the Chaos Wastes.

Necromancer - Secret -10 points
Necromancers are evil Wizards concerned with the magical power that can be drawn from the world of the dead. Necromancers learn spells allowing them to communicate with the spirits of the dead and eventually are able to summon undead creatures to do their bidding. Because of the nature of their work, Necromancers are shunned by most people, hated and feared as much as Demonologists. Like Demonologists, Necromancers are never able to reveal the source of their power or the nature of their work else they would be killed. Necromancers hide out in ruined villages and towns where the local cemeteries provide them with the raw materials essential to their disgusting art. Necromancers tend to be unhygienic, suffer from physical disabilities and eventually develop a cadaverous appearance. These disadvantages may be purchased separately.

Due to the fact that Necromancers draw energy both from the Warhammer World and from the world of the dead, they are able to cast spells as if they were in a normal mana world, negating the -3 applied to most other spell casters. In addition they receive a +1 to all spells involving the summoning, controlling and creation of spirits and undead. Warp Resonance is a prerequisite for taking this disadvantage.

Vow - Slayer --10 points
The Dwarven Troll Slayer is an illustration of the strange personal psychology that dooms many young Dwarfs to short and violent lives. Young Dwarfs who have been disgraced, crossed in love, or otherwise humiliated will abandon conventional Dwarven society and go seek death by hunting down the most ferocious beasts. Most die quickly. Those who survive become members of the strange cult of Troll Slayers. They seek death by deliberately seeking uneven battles, going alone into Goblin Strongholds is one example. Trolls are considered the ideal opponent, because the Dwarfs death is almost certain. Troll Slayers can be recognised easily by their hair, which is spiked and dyed orange, and by the many tattoos which cover their bodies. They spend a great deal of time boasting of their exploits , showing off their many scars, indulging in bouts of overeating, fasting, and excessive consumption of stimulants.
This Disadvantage comes in several levels which must be taken progressively until each is accomplished or the Dwarf perishes. Starting characters are assumed to be Goblinslayers. Built into this disadvantage is an unspoken system of Cult Rank. As a Dwarf progresses from one creature to the next, so does his Rank increase within the Slayer cult. These Ranks are free and players are not required to spend points as they advance.
This disadvantage is restricted to Dwarfs.
Goblinslayer Rank 1
Skavenslayer Rank 2
Trollslayer Rank 3
Giantslayer Rank 4
Dragonlayer Rank 5
Demonslayer Rank 6
Old 01-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Xuub

4. Skills

The following skills are available to characters within the Warhammer World.

Acrobatics
Acting
Alchemy/TL
Animal Handling
Architecture/TL
Area Knowledge
Armoury/TL
Artist
Astronomy/TL
Axe/Mace
Blind Fighting
Blowpipe
Boating/TL
Body Control
Body Language
Body Sense
Bow
Boxing
Brawling
Breath Control
Broadsword
Camouflage
Captivate
Carousing
Carpentry
Cartography
Climbing
Cloak
Connoisseur
Cooking
Counterfeiting/TL
Crossbow
Cryptography/TL
Current Affairs/TL
Dancing
Detect Lies
Diplomacy
Disguise/TL
Engineer/TL
Enthrallment
Erotic Art
Escape
Esoteric Medicine
Exorcism
Falconry
Fast-Draw
Fast-Talk
Filch
Fire Eating
First Aid/TL
Fishing
Flail
Flying Leap
Forgery/TL
Fortune-Telling
Gambling
Games
Garrote
Gesture
Heraldry
Herb Lore/TL
Hidden Lore: Demonology
Hidden Lore: Witchcraft
Hidden Lore: Undead
Hiking
History
Hobby Skill
Hobby Skill: Juggling
Hobby Skill: Mime
Holdout
Hypnotism
Immovable Stance
Interrogation
Intimidation
Jeweler/TL
Jumping
Knife
Knot-Tying
Lance
Lasso
Law
Leadership
Leatherworking
Light Walk
Linguistics
Lip Reading
Literature
Lockpicking/TL
Main-Gauche
Mathematics/TL
Mechanic/TL
Meditation
Melee Weapon
Merchant
Metallurgy/TL
Mimicry
Mount
Musical Composition
Musical Instrument
Naturalist
Navigation/TL
Net
Observation
Panhandling
Parry Missile Weapons
Performance
Persuade
Philosophy
Physician/TL
Pickpocket
Poetry
Poisons/TL
Polearm
Politics
Power Blow
Professional Skill
Public Speaking
Rapier
Religious Ritual
Research/TL
Riding
Ritual Magic
Running
Saber
Savoir-Faire
Scrounging
Search
Sewing/TL
Sex Appeal
Shadowing
Shield
Shortsword
Singing
Sleight of Hand
Sling
Smallsword
Smith/TL
Soldier/TL
Spear
Sports
Staff
Stealth
Strategy
Streetwise
Suggest
Survival
Sway Emotions
Swimming
Symbol Drawing: Runes
Tactics
Teaching
Teamster
Thaumatology
Theology
Throwing
Thrown Weapon
Tracking
Traps/TL
Two-Handed Axe/Mace
Two-Handed Flail
Two-Handed Sword
Urban Survival
Ventriloquism
Veterinary/TL
Weather Sense
Whip
Wrestling
Writing
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Xuub

5. Magic

Magick does not exist naturally in the Warhammer World, but originates from Chaos. Raw mana is believed to be tiny particles of Chaos, undetectable even by Elvish eyes that blows---intangible and inconstant, but potentially devastating---from the Source of Magick in the North. In its purest and most malignant form it is not unlike natural darkness. However, far from being simply the absence of light, dark magick is an entity in its own right, accumulating in the regions of the world where horror, sickness, violence and death are present, and growing stronger with time.

If allowed to run its natural course, it would engulf the entire world and sour it of all life in a tidal wave of horror. Fortunately, the Vortex diffracts this malign power into the many “colors” or “colleges” of magick, which can be put to more benevolent uses.

Almost all intelligent beings have the potential to wield magick, but in practice only a rare few have the innate aptitude or “Warp Resonance” and determination to pursue a sorcerer’s vocation. Each race has its own unique way of wielding magick, from Dwarf Runesmiths who forge it into their artifacts, to vile Necromancers, who use the Dark Magickk to raise the dead and bind them to their will.
GUPRS: Magic in the Warhammer World
The Warhammer world is a semi-low mana world (GURPS: Magic p.6) This results in a -3 penalty to all spells cast rather than the traditional -5 for a low-mana world.

Magical effects are possible because of the presence of the uncontrolled Warp gates at the poles of the planet. The Warp is the instrument for effecting magic. Magical characters transported away from the Warhammer planet will find that they cannot cast magic (unless they have Magery).

Characters with the Warp Resonance or Warp Empathy advantage can learn spells, and those without it can not. Dwarfs and Halflings have rarely been known to have any kind of Warp Resonance (GM permission, Unusual Background, and a really good reason are all required).
Likewise only the race of Dwarfs has been known to master Runesmithing. (GM permission, Unusual Background, and a really good reason are all required).

Warpstone
Warpstone is the raw stuff of Chaos and is the basis of all Magick, Sorcerous and Divine. Aform of matter dragged into this world from another dimension by the violent birth of Chaos. It is a powerful source of magic, and is greatly sought after by all followers of Chaos. A single piece of raw Warpstone is usually an irregularly-shaped lump about the size of a man’s fist. It emits an intense black light, which seems to swallow light from its immediate vicinity, creating a small patch of darkness around it. In this raw form, Warpstone is very dangerous to all creatures, and prolonged exposure can cause severe mutation or death.

The Skaven, and many of the other races of Chaos, were created by exposure to raw Warpstone, as natural creatures were twisted by its magical emanations and developed mutations which have been handed down through the generations.

In game terms, Warpstone is a naturally occurring Powerstone (GURPS: Magic p.20) These feared stones can contain vast power, however merely holding the stone can cause mutation and insanity over time. Those who actually use Warpstone for energy are doomed to a life of chaos and eventually death.

The Language of Magick
Just as writing is the physical representation of the spoken word, runes are physical and aethyrial images of the language of magick or Lingua Praestantia. Magick is an unimaginably complex and demanding language. Accurate transcription of the Great Language into runes requires that the tiniest distinctions of pronunciation be precisely recorded in the rune. Further, a rune must be inscribed not only in the physical domain, but also in the aethyrial domain; that is, they must be magickally inscribed into the aethyrial field associated with the rune.
Properly inscribed runes are essential to all arcane undertakings, and all wizards must read and understand them. More ambitious students of magick may be qualified for research and development of revised or new applications of the arcane practices.

Even the simplest word in the language of Magick or Lingua Praestantia is unimaginably complex. In the simplest petty sorcery, shadings of rhythm, accent, pitch, duration, volume, timbre, etc. all control a host of critical elements, any of which might spoil the effect if phrased imprecisely. Only the rare individual with the combined gifts of the voice and ear of a temple choir soloist and the intelligence, memory, and wit of the finest scholar can learn to master the subtle chords of sorcery.

The language of Magick is required for Sorcerers to cast spells and all penalties for speaking Broken or Accented versions of this language apply to all spell skill levels. (GURPS p24) This does not concern Priests and Clerics who pray to a Deity that casts the spell through them.

Learning Magick
Anyone with Warp Resonance can learn spells. The rate at which spells can be learned depends mainly on the students Warp Resonance Level, and whether or not the she has a teacher. Each Academy selfishly guards all knowledge of Magick. Trading spells is illegal and anyone caught selling or teaching spells to those not of their guild will be tried and severely punished.

The Four Academies of Wizardry provide free library access and teaching to their members for any of the Colleges of Magic they teach. Other Colleges must be self taught unless the spell caster finds a willing teacher.

Wood Elves always learn magic as if they had a teacher even when learning on their own. They, gain no additional benefit from a teacher.

Hedgewizards will find it difficult to locate a teacher willing to train them. They are almost always self taught.

Casting a spell
Before casting a spell, Sorcerers must meet the following three criteria:

***Sorcerers must have the Warp Resonance advantage (level 0-5)

***The language of Magick is required for Sorcerers to cast spells and all penalties for speaking Broken or Accented versions of this language apply to all spell skill levels. (GURPS p24)

***Sorcerers must know the spell that they are attempting to cast.