Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
platimus

Default Re: Put a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

From the description, it seems obvious to me that "controlled fire" is used to light something that is flammable. How long that lit cigar, torch, or beard remains on fire seems equally obvious. As long as it takes for it to burn-up - or until someone puts it out. It is simply for ignition. You could use it to ignite a camp-fire too. I would allow that even if the wood, kindling, etc. were wet.

However if a player wanted to use it as a type of "burning hands" or touch-based attack, I would allow that also...but it only does 2 points of damage (ignores armor) and you have to cast it each time you touch/attack the victim. (EDIT: that would be my rule-of-thumb. use it however you want but limit it's damage to 2 points per casting...and you have to be able to see the target location; i.e. no brain stems! LOL)

(EDIT: Heck, I might even allow a wizard to cast it on his sword and let it last for 12 turns to create a temporary "flaming sword"...but it's only gonna do 2 extra points of fire-damage per successful attack. This is the most powerful use I can think of that I MIGHT allow.)

Going back to the burning beard example, for simplicity sake, I would say that it does 2 points of damage and the beard is gone.

As said, it's up to you but that is how I would handle it.

Last edited by platimus; 10-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote