Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #31
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Magical Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Yep. Lots of obvious features of reality were omitted from the game. Still seems a little unsportsmanlike, in my opinion.
I find it at least odd that NV isn't, while DV is colorblind by default. Especially since NV is meant to be realistic, more or less. IMO one should allow NV to negate generic darkness penalties, but have no effect on the penalty to Perception caused by darkness when distinguishing colors is an issue. Thus, at -5 darkness and 9 NV levels, one would see shapes perfectly, but roll at -5 to distinguish color.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I find it at least odd that NV isn't, while DV is colorblind by default. Especially since NV is meant to be realistic, more or less. IMO one should allow NV to negate generic darkness penalties, but have no effect on the penalty to Perception caused by darkness when distinguishing colors is an issue. Thus, at -5 darkness and 9 NV levels, one would see shapes perfectly, but roll at -5 to distinguish color.
I agree that that makes sense. But I can also understand why the writers wanted to avoid too much rules clutter.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Gleam of Red Eyes. From WW's Protean 1. Altered to fit GURPS: acts as a flashlight accessory, giving enough light for a -3 penalty instead of -9. Special effect: the burning eyes seem to emit red light to outsiders (user sees normally). +1 to intimidate superstitious mundanes in the dark, -1 reaction modifier against them too.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 AM   #34
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Gleam of Red Eyes. From WW's Protean 1. Altered to fit GURPS: acts as a flashlight accessory, giving enough light for a -3 penalty instead of -9. Special effect: the burning eyes seem to emit red light to outsiders (user sees normally). +1 to intimidate superstitious mundanes in the dark, -1 reaction modifier against them too.
I don't think I'ld have to be superstitious to be a little creeped out by eyes that freakin' glow red.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #35
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
I don't think I'ld have to be superstitious to be a little creeped out by eyes that freakin' glow red.
If you're a well-educated person in a common magic setting, you won't be freaked out more than by a modern photoflash.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #36
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Is the colorblindness some sort of short-wave vs. long-wave ambient light fallacy you've heard somewhere?

If you look at the current state of TL 8 short-wave passive ambient light night vision technology* it's readily apparent that ambient light allows you to distinguish colors, read, etc., it was only the old TL 7 infrared long-wave night vision stuff which had color issues, and tended to make everything green.

I don't see why Magic, or the normal advantage, wouldn't use real world physics for ambient light night vision.

Edit: Not that you get vibrant colors without good light, but you can distinguish things a bit more than what colorblindness seems to indicate.

*Scientific American ran a recent article on TriWave cameras from a company called NoblePeak Vision, gotta love living in TL 8. *grin*

Last edited by Ze'Manel Cunha; 11-17-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Edit: Not that you get vibrant colors without good light, but you can distinguish things a bit more than what colorblindness seems to indicate.
Actually, applying the former darkness penalties to Vision rolls for the sole purpose of distinguishing colors is more colorful than GURPS Colorblindness (which for some reason is a Greyscale Vision disadvantage). Normal GURPS Colorblindness makes distinguishing colors impossible (worse than -10!).
Old 11-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #38
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Actually, applying the former darkness penalties to Vision rolls for the sole purpose of distinguishing colors is more colorful than GURPS Colorblindness (which for some reason is a Greyscale Vision disadvantage). Normal GURPS Colorblindness makes distinguishing colors impossible (worse than -10!).
Not exactly, if you think about it for second as an example, we can easily distinguish colors in torchlight, we just might not identify them correctly.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Not exactly, if you think about it for second as an example, we can easily distinguish colors in torchlight, we just might not identify them correctly.
Right. We have a penalty to properly marking red/green/blue, but we can still do it.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #40
Ze'Manel Cunha

Eye Color - Self, Can change eye color at will, best used to convey emphasis.

Body Glow - Self, can create a glow not visible under normal lighting conditions, often used in the dark to fool people into thinking you're a god.

Nose Seal - Self, can seal nostrils at will, the nose looks pinched as the nostrils are closed, useful for diving and mucking out stables.

Ear Wrap - Self, can wrinkle the ears into little knubs, the head looks like it has too little buds on the side, useful for wrestling and for rock concerts.
(-4 to hearing, +4 to resist hearing damage)