Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #31
Gnomasz

Default Re: The guide to throat slitting (or sentry removal, for the gentlemen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post
You're grappling with Judo.
You have Ambidexterity.

Add:
+1 if you're grappling with Wrestling.
+5 if you need Ambidexterity.
or
+1 to get a combat perk for offhand unarmed attacks only.
It's been brought to my attention just recently, so I'm not sure, but I don't think you need Ambidexterity nor Off-Hand Weapon Training for unarmed strikes: it's only clearly stated for Karate that you don't, but note that neither Basic's OHWT technique nor Martial Arts' perk mentions any unarmed combat skill as a valid specialty.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #32
Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
It's been brought to my attention just recently, so I'm not sure, but I don't think you need Ambidexterity nor Off-Hand Weapon Training for unarmed strikes: it's only clearly stated for Karate that you don't, but note that neither Basic's OHWT technique nor Martial Arts' perk mentions any unarmed combat skill as a valid specialty.
The table on B547 lists the modifier:
"Other Actions by the Attacker:
Off-hand Attack: -4 (no penalty w. Ambidexterity)."

Since it doesn't specify it only applies to weapons, I'd say it does apply to unarmed attacks as well.
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 AM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Seemingly not. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.
P. 137, crippling the spine (threshold in excess of HP) in the neck inflicts Quadriplegic. Automatic for some attacks.

P. 138, major wounds (threshold of HP/2) to the neck can cause a variety of lasting or permanent crippling injuries.

Quote:

Since it doesn't specify it only applies to weapons, I'd say it does apply to unarmed attacks as well.
I am fairly sure that there's something in one of the FAQs about this, but at any rate the existence of the Strong and Weak Hands Harsh Realism option means this can't be the case otherwise.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-18-2017 at 01:43 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 AM   #34
corwyn

Quote:

It's gone around several times but it has been established by Kromm on the forums that trained unarmed attacks do not have off-hand penalties. Yes, it's a bit ambiguous, but that is the intent.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #35
apoc527

Excellent post, Set! I particularly enjoyed the small font commentary. Very entertaining.

10/10 would read again/more.

Also, I was also curious about the tip slash. I see your point, but I think a tip slash is really meant to simulate very low-powered (minimal leverage) cuts with just the tip of an otherwise non-cutting weapon.

For my money, the actual throat cut here should use the normal sw damage for a knife. (Daggers, OTOH, don't do sw cut damage, so tip slash would be appropriate there.)

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #36
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Also, people with cut throats can still make plenty of incoherent noise. After studying Martial Arts: Fairbairn Close Combat Systems a bit, I concluded that the easier way under GURPS was AoA (Double) for a Telegraphic grapple to the jaw (net +1 to hit) and a stab to the vitals, which are easier to hit than the neck locations.
My understanding from both Martial Arts: Fairbairn Close Combat Systems & US Army Rangers I know, is that Jondallman is correct.
AoA Double: Grapple the mouth & stab vitals (kidney). Often followed up with a throat cut, but not always as it seems to be somewhat noisy.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #37
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Realistically, there ought to be a crippling
threshold for the throat.
There is, hidden away in Biotech on page 123. Crushing injury over HP/2 to the Neck crushes the trachea, causing choking. Without exotic abilities (Doesn't Breathe, high levels of Regeneration, etc) or magical healing, the character will require an emergency tracheotomy or will die, even if he suffers only Temporary Crippling. Cutting injury would probably call for a greater threshold*, as for it to cause suffocation I believe you need to have some pretty decent damage such that the character bleeds through his trachea into his lungs, resulting in him quite literally drowning to death in his own blood... which is markedly more difficult to fix than just a tracheotomy.

*Well, realistically I think most cutting weapons would also crush the trachea while they were at it. Thus, I'd probably say cutting injury over 2/3 HP (with crushing being 1.5x and cutting being 2x, this is the same amount of penetrating damage as is needed for crushing damage to do it) also crushes the trachea, and save the "drowning in your own blood" bit for particularly brutal artery/vein attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Maybe but Gorgets, aventails etc. Also stuff like stiffened/reinforced collars to ward of garrottes etc. People have been sneaking up on each other and doing horrible things to necks for a long time, so people were aware of the risk of it.
I believe neck armor is incredibly uncomfortable, so sentries could probably avoid it (for a sentry, it's only useful if you've arguably already failed in your job, after all). Additionally, I think a lot of rigid neck armor should be treated as having Armor Gaps. That said, while Neck isn't the worst place to target for some stabby sentry removal, it certainly isn't the best.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #38
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
There is, hidden away in Biotech on page 123. Crushing injury over HP/2 to the Neck crushes the trachea, causing choking. Without exotic abilities (Doesn't Breathe, high levels of Regeneration, etc) or magical healing, the character will require an emergency tracheotomy or will die, even if he suffers only Temporary Crippling. Cutting injury would probably call for a greater threshold*, as for it to cause suffocation I believe you need to have some pretty decent damage such that the character bleeds through his trachea into his lungs, resulting in him quite literally drowning to death in his own blood... which is markedly more difficult to fix than just a tracheotomy.

*Well, realistically I think most cutting weapons would also crush the trachea while they were at it. Thus, I'd probably say cutting injury over 2/3 HP (with crushing being 1.5x and cutting being 2x, this is the same amount of penetrating damage as is needed for crushing damage to do it) also crushes the trachea, and save the "drowning in your own blood" bit for particularly brutal artery/vein attacks.

I believe neck armor is incredibly uncomfortable, so sentries could probably avoid it (for a sentry, it's only useful if you've arguably already failed in your job, after all). Additionally, I think a lot of rigid neck armor should be treated as having Armor Gaps. That said, while Neck isn't the worst place to target for some stabby sentry removal, it certainly isn't the best.
A sentry might rather be alive and uncomfortable and in any case being a bit uncomfortable might keep him on his game. Besides being flogged for dozing is also uncomfortable.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #39
Tomsdad

Quote:
I believe neck armor is incredibly uncomfortable, so sentries could probably avoid it
It can be, but soldiers have been putting up with uncomfortable or annoying things (while complaining) for a long time now.

Quote:
(for a sentry, it's only useful if you've arguably already failed in your job, afterall)
Not really, a sentry that lives long enough to raise the alarm has done their job*, there's a reason why your trying to take them out quickly and quietly.

Also sentry isn't the only scenario, watchmen patrolling more dodgy areas, basically anyone who's at risk of getting jumped.

*Ok yeah better they'd spotted the threat from further away but there's a range of success here!

Quote:
Additionally, I think a lot of rigid neck armor should be treated as having Armor Gaps. That said, while Neck isn't the worst place to target for some stabby sentry removal, it certainly isn't the best.
Gaps seem reasonable in certain circumstances
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #40
Donny Brook

Quote:
There is, hidden away in Biotech on page 123. Crushing injury over HP/2 to the Neck crushes the trachea, causing choking. Without exotic abilities (Doesn't Breathe, high levels of Regeneration, etc) or magical healing, the character will require an emergency tracheotomy or will die, even if he suffers only Temporary Crippling.
Useful to know, but I think there should be a possibility to cripple the voice particularly.

(I will also take this opportunity to reiterate my annoyance at GURPS' habit of publishing rules of general application in genre-specific books without making them available elsewhere. )
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fairbairn, hit location, neck, sentry removal